Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best by Test  (Read 10871 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Best by Test
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:29:57 AM »

Of the Steelhead landed this season , what # test did you successfully land your fish on . ( no bull )  ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Best by Test
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:37:01 AM »

12 lb main and 10 leader.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »

I have never used heavier than 10lb test for steelhead. usually its 8lb and even 6lb the odd time
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »

When visibility is low and water high, like January, I tend to use heavier leaders as they are more forgiving in fighting a steelhead in faster current and also bring in a fish quicker for faster release if needed. (also, less frequent need to check and change leaders for abrasions)
Both steelhead I landed this season were on 15lbs mono used as leader.
I also carry 12 lb leaders, but have not used it much so far this year as water visibility did not warrant it.
Above the swivel, I normally use 12 feet of 20 lbs mono connected by improved albright knot to a 30 lbs braid line.
I use 30 lb braid as main line, not because I need the strength but find them to be easier to work with than a thinner 20 lb braid in cold weather.

I think I also tend to use heavier line than for average steelhead because in the back of my mind I am thinking about being ready to land that once in a life time fish (20+) if I ever hook one. ;)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »

aYup! 36 and counting can't be too far wrong methinks!  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Ummm... Make that thirty-eight  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:24:23 PM by IronNoggin »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:26:59 PM »

12 Seaguar Invisix Flourocarbon, dirty or clear water. Seaguar in my opinion is the best flouro out there, doubt i'll ever use a mono leader again.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »

I'm with noggin on this one. I never go less than 10lb leader. Yes even in gin clear water.

As for sheer numbers thats not my style! I'm doing well, REALLY WELL!, and I havn't even made it to the Island yet.

Oh well my three week stint there is less then a week away! Sorry to intrude on waters less traveled!

8)  The Ghost
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »

last year i used to fish 15 lb main and 12 lb leaders because it had been left from salmon season but this season i went to maxima 12 lb main and 8 lb leaders and have done very very well this season, with only one fishless trip :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

fyrslyer

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:53:54 PM »

15 main, 12 lb seagaur leader

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »

I go 12lbs main and this year I have been using the 10lbs Platypus flourocarbon and it has been really good.  ;D     The knot strength has been better then other flourocarbon I have used and the abrasion resistance has been even better. I can not wait to try it with the fly rod.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »

12lb main Chameleon, 10lb Maxima Ultragreen. Lost one that snapped a fresh 8lb Maxima with an initial headshake but think it must have had a knot / knick. Wish I could blame the line for the other 5 in a row I lost.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:21:42 PM by nickredway »

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »

12lb main Chameleon, 10lb Maxima Ultragreen. Lost one that snapped a fresh 8lb Maxima with an initial headshake but think it must have had a knot / knick. Wish I could blame the line for the other 5 in a row I lost.
i use 8 lb maxima for all my steelhead leaders and only been snapped off on 2 fish cus one when bringing to the shallows it darted around a big rock and the other went on a long run and around a corner. Don't we all wish we could blam the line instead of ouvselves ;)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:03 PM »

One fish on 8lb Maxima (first of the season), and the following eight have been on 10lb Maxima.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:48:07 PM »

uhhh...15 or 20lb.   :-\  Straight through.... float, split shot, hook. No swivel. Dropped to 10lbs and broke 3 off, went to 12lb lost another 1 to the leader. So.... just sticking to the usual. The heavy line doesn't stop them from biting. So far all lost fish have come from using light leader, or too small of a hook. Once it clears up, i'll switch. You land fish quickly, don't have to worry about fraying the line, or them chewing through it. I've landed lots of fish on 6-12lb before. I just dont think there's a need for it with the water conditions present on any of the local rivers. Why even use 6lb maxima any more with the creation of flourocarbon. I ran flouro 12lb up against 6lb maxima last year, and it hooked MORE fish.
Fish killer 101

penguinabc123

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »

15 main and 10 leader, working well so far no complaints