Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you rig your artificial worm for steelhead float fishing?

Hook head first with hook out 3/4 way down and dangling by tail
Hook tail up with hook in 1/4 way up and out 3/4 way down with head dangling down
Use a metal jig
Other method (pls describe)

Author Topic: How do you rig your artificial worm?  (Read 8018 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
How do you rig your artificial worm?
« on: February 05, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »

Also, please share any ideas that might make fishing pink worm more effective. :)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Re: How do you rig your artificial worm?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »

I prefer #1.I like the swimming motion with the tail waggle.(more pronounced with paddle tails).Makes it look like it's trying to escape.Only extra trick I have is to use a small corky instead of a plastic bead above the hook in certain situations.Adds some flotaion in a bottom presentation and possibly attracts the strike to the hook.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »

I personally haven't have any luck with the a worm so far.
Closest I came was a large coho getting hooked on my pink warm last Christmas eve near my home.
My heart missed a beat when a large almost chrome coho breached the water and made a spectacular jump before throwing the hook. LOL...
I have switched from #2 to #1 rigging and still plugging away as my impact bait.
Maybe one of these days I will get lucky. ;)

Juwtee

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:29:34 AM »

I use alot of worms and my favorite one is the bubblegum 4 inch power worm
and I just run my hook threw the worm head first about a inch and a half to two inches and that let's the worm wiggle and do it's thing.
Work hard, play hard, fish harder!

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »

"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:33:11 PM »

PLEASE remember that a scented worm (or scented anything) is considered BAIT and on some flows is not allowed.
and before you ask which ones:
READ the REGS.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:00:57 PM »

recently switched over to head down (hook right below the head), and about a third of the worm tangling (tail section).

islanddude

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »

I started making my own worms around 1978.When the plastic is almost hard ,I pull the worm out of the mold and form it into a "s" shape.Once worm is cooled it retains this shape .I thread worm on hook, head first and pull hook out just below the bend.I pull hook down to end of the worms tail.This worm wiggles and swims as it goes through the water.I have taken many steelhead on the retrieve through slack water.Worms don't work as well as they use to because too many fishermen use them.When I first started using them, well thats another story.Try worms for coho.Tight lines

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »

I ran into this guy at Vedder who said black artificial worms are the go to lure for pressured steelhead.
Black jig are hot under right situation, but black worms?
Anyone tried this?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »

I ran into this guy at Vedder who said black artificial worms are the go to lure for pressured steelhead.
Black jig are hot under right situation, but black worms?
Anyone tried this?
yes i had been using a 4.5" black worm in january just after the river blew out and i got some hits and lost one, it shows up good in dirty water, also tried it last weekend in clear water with not even a hit, but tried a white worm and had a hit. it really depends on water conditions tho for brown water use the black worm, in dark green water the pink or red, and in really clear water water a white (best in midday). The black and white worms are hard to find tho, or atleast they are for me.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »

yes i had been using a 4.5" black worm in january just after the river blew out and i got some hits and lost one, it shows up good in dirty water, also tried it last weekend in clear water with not even a hit, but tried a white worm and had a hit. it really depends on water conditions tho for brown water use the black worm, in dark green water the pink or red, and in really clear water water a white (best in midday). The black and white worms are hard to find tho, or atleast they are for me.

Thanks for the insight SS. Regarding white worms, you can buy them at Fred's where I bought mine. At Fred's they only had black worms with coloured tail, no pure black ones. I am not sure where you could buy them.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 12:19:31 AM »

Thanks for the insight SS. Regarding white worms, you can buy them at Fred's where I bought mine. At Fred's they only had black worms with coloured tail, no pure black ones. I am not sure where you could buy them.
thanks, ya a buddy gave me a pack of the black worms he says he gets them in the states  :-X , and the white ones i had just found in my vest lol.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

fish fishburn

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 03:57:32 AM »

Anyone ever try wacky rigging their worm?  I don't know about salmon or steelies but it sure works good on finicky smallmouth bass when they won't commit

Anyland

• Guilty Kitchen
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 10:07:04 AM »

started using some black worms last year for bass in Shawnigan Lake. Had some great luck on them. It was recommended to me by Bucky's in Duncan. I am such a Bass newbie.

Does anyone use artificial while trolling for rainbows? Right now I am basically trolling for rainbows in Shawnigan with a BMW or oak leaf troll with a wedding band and worm on. It produces pretty consistently, but it would be fun to try some other combos. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance :)
-----------------------------------
Computers are useless, they only give you answers.
   -Pablo Picasso

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »

PLEASE remember that a scented worm (or scented anything) is considered BAIT and on some flows is not allowed.

Not 100% true.
Bait is considered any NATURAL foodstuff or scent.
If the bait uses chemical scents or doesn't list proteins, anise oil, etc on the package it is fine.
I would think that the powerbait worms are ok because ti says on the package scents that are "developed."
Would be interesting to see what a CO thinks... lots of people just use jensen eggs out here anyways in the cowie and stamp and don't have a problem.