Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 6th 2011: A Day of Disappointments  (Read 2401 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, February 6th 2011: A Day of Disappointments
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:25:14 PM »

I woke this morning to the disappointment of seeing more rain falling, but I decided that I was not willing to wait another week to see the river.  I  suited up and headed out, stopping for some gas and a coffee, so I would get to the river before light.  I made for the upper river to hope to get into some clearer water, but despite making good time, I was disappointed again to fine my first spot above the canyon taken.  I turned the car around and I headed down below the canyon, and after a treacherous climb down the wet clay trail I made to my second spot.  There was one other guy there but he was fishing the lower section of the run.  I surveyed for a moment and after seeing him take a few steps down I decided to try the head of the run.  I carefully waded across a small side channel and climbed over a few trees trapped on the island and stood at the end of the steep drop into the run.  The river had changed a bit since I was last on this spot and there was a nice seam along the near bank that looked VERY fishy.  The seam extended into a confluence seam at bottom of the island where the side channel spilled back into the main current over a small drop to create a very interesting expanse of slower water a few feet deep next to the seam.  The water clarity was pretty good, a couple of feet at least.  This all looked so promising.

I strung my rod with my floating line, threaded on an indicator and tied on a purple jig.  I flipped the jig out into the current put a hard mend in the line to let jig drop into the seam.  I watched with anticipation as the indicator bobbed down the river, carefully flipping more line out to keep the drift going, looking for the indicator to sink.  How many times have you heard the story "got that one on my first cast"?  I watched and waited.  The indicator got to the end of the drift and swung across the confluence seam into the slower water. I left it to hang there for a minute hoping the undulating action of the jig would induce a strike, then began stripping in the fly.  I would be disappointed yet again.  I worked that run for about 20 minutes then, when I noticed the other guy had given up and walked off, I began working my way downstream, fishing along the confluence and towards the tail out.  As I got to about the half way point I notice two guys walking down towards me.  They pause near the top of the run to survey the land and I made a few deliberate steps to let them know I was working down the run so they were free to try the top.  To my disappointment they decided to walk on down, past me and cut in below me.  I was flabbergasted...and these were FLYFISHERMEN!  One of the guys camped out right below me in the tailout and the other guy went on further down.  I was clearly not going to finish my run.  I reeled in my line and headed back to the top to give it another run through.  After a few casts the two fly guys begin packing out, but another guy has come down and was now working the lower end of the run.  I pack it in, disappointed.

After climbing back out up the slippery clay caked trail, I head further down the river.  I stopped briefly at Tamahi to fish the run below the rapids, then headed down below Pointa Vista, where I again hiked a ways to find another beautiful run to myself.  I often wonder as I enter these very fishy looking runs, without another sole to be seen, why no one else is fishing there?  Do they know something that I do not?  Alas, I fish it anyways, this time swinging a purple and orange egg sucking leech through the only slightly cloudier water and, despite being as terrific a stretch of fly water as the Chilliwack has to offer, I come away disappointed again.  As I walked back to the car I pass a very fishy looking riffle, run, pool sitting across the river.  I had seen it on the way up and had thought I should try it on the way back.  Now, standing there, staring across the side channel that separated me from the run, I found myself unnerved.  The water was not deep, well below the waist, but the slope was steep so there was some velocity to the water.  I decided against wading across, and as I walked along the trail I could hear my dearly departed father chuckling.  I am getting old.  I don't think he would have been disappointed.

My day ended after one more stop right below the Crossing where I found 4 guys fishing a run of decent size and depth.  The lead fellow made it clear that they were working down the run, so I headed up the run to start at the top.  As I passed the first one I greeted him and inquired about his luck.  No fish for him he says, but the guy above him had a fish earlier.  I looked up and thought it was a child fishing there.   As I passed the lucky guy, who looked to be a little person in his sixties, I congratulated him on his luck.  He smiled and thanked me, it was a 10 pounder he says.  At least he won't be going home disappointed.  I wish I could have said the same for me, but a day of disappointment on the river beats any day away from it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:36:29 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, February 6th 2011: A Day of Disappointments
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:44:42 PM »

The little person you refer to i often see fishing around the crossing and is a very nice fella.I dont know him personally but we always nod and say ask each other about our luck. ;D.A mutual respect to the honor of chasing the silver ghosts. ;)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »

today was a good day for me :) started the day late as had to do lots of stuff around the house. Got to borden creek at 11:30 geared up and went down and started at the ranger and fished all the way down to where borden creek goes in. I hooked 3 and landed 1 in a nice run. was about a 10 lb chrome bullet doe. released her. My dad hooked and landed a 8 lber chrome bullet doe. Then at 4:45 headed up to cement slab till 5:30. didnt see anyone get anything there. But i did have 2 hits but got to dark to see :( and was pouring rain. was a nice day tho with not much rain till about 5 and good visiblity :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:59:01 PM »

Sandman, I am sure you will also have a good day sometime in the near future.
I also fished the upper and mid river all day from first light to 5 pm and did not get a single strike.
A little frustrating, but the scenary was beautiful today with not as many people for a Sunday.
No fish, but I still had a good time.
Such is steelhead fishing. :)

Steelie-slayer, you are a dynamo of a top rod!
I did not see anyone land or even hook a fish all day.
That both you and your dad landed a fish clearly shows your level of expertise.
Tight lines!  :)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »

i tailed a fish for a guy today at the slab nice bullet chrome 10 lb hatch buck
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »

i tailed a fish for a guy today at the slab nice bullet chrome 10 lb hatch buck

well if you're touching em every time out you're not doing to bad even if its someone elses fish  ;)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »

Sandman, I am sure you will also have a good day sometime in the near future.
I also fished the upper and mid river all day from first light to 5 pm and did not get a single strike.
A little frustrating, but the scenary was beautiful today with not as many people for a Sunday.
No fish, but I still had a good time.
Such is steelhead fishing. :)

Steelie-slayer, you are a dynamo of a top rod!
I did not see anyone land or even hook a fish all day.
That both you and your dad landed a fish clearly shows your level of expertise.
Tight lines!  :)

thanks man i always fish the exact same route, know it very well

also showed a fellow that was fishing just below me (he asked if he could go there tho)in a  run i was gettin fish in where to cast and gave him some jensen eggs and he got his first ever hook up with a steelie :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »

Thanks for your support fellas, but like I said, disappointments aside, it WAS a good day.  I did not get my first fish of 2010 until mid February either, so I still have another weekend to top it or at least match it (although in 2009 was a New Years Day fish, so that record is going to stick).

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:25:27 PM »

The little person you refer to i often see fishing around the crossing and is a very nice fella

Super nice guy!

penn

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »

Hey Sandman , I think I met you on your excursion on that last run you were at. I was that lead guy you refer to . But I had got a fish already and was done at the bottom end . That short guy that got a wild one was the next guy above me . Where you the guy who walked up and chatted with me  when you got there with the dog ? Or where you the other guy up above . There were two guys fly fishing .

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 08:55:34 PM »

The guy with the dog followed me down the trail.  I was the first guy, and I do recall seeing the guy with the dog stop to chat with you for a while.  I was about done by the time he started at the top.  You had already left by then but the other three were still working hard at the lower end, so I just left it to them.