Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cowichan River, February 11th 2011  (Read 1712 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Cowichan River, February 11th 2011
« on: February 11, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »

Went out this morning for a few hours to a spot where I had been successful at hooking a couple of chromers a few days ago but was not able to land them . This morning would be different as I was not going to break off yet another bullet. 5 casts into my outing float disappears into the green choppy boulder filled run , hook set and I feel a strong fish on the end of my rod the fish charges into the faster water in the middle of the run and peels off about half the line from my Okuma Aventa pin and I'm starting to think I'm going to get spooled. The other day in this exact spot this happened and I had to put the breaks on and try to stop the steel and broke off. I went into Cowichan Fly and Tackle as I normally do to chat with Gord the owner and another avid angler with many years of Steelhead experience and was telling him of my experience of Cowichan Chrome taking me to school in the faster run and forcing me to stop the fish and causing my line to break. He gave me a excellent tip for the next time this happens and today I put that tip to use. He suggested laying the rod down in the water and letting the current take your line down river putting a belly in your line making the fish think you are down river causing the fish to turn and run back up river to you.  Well what do you know it worked and i ended up getting the fish under control and managed to get a glimpse of this big colored up Cowichan buck we played tug of war for what seemed to be an eternity and I finally got this buck a wild one around 12 lbs to my hand for a quick pic and release. Wow what a start to my day , my go to BC Orange Gooey Bob with white wool comes through again so thinking there may be another fish to be had , 4 casts later wham the DNE float goes MIA again and I'm into another fish around the same size but much chromer and this one screams up river to my surprise and delight not wanting to test this technique out again another spirited battle a few big runs jumps headshakes and I have my second Cowichan wild steel of the morning.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:34:41 PM by legend »

legend

Re: Cowichan River, February 11th 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »

legend

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »

legend

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:37:49 PM »

legend

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »

legend

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »

Another crazy thing that happened while fighting the second fish  when i was trying to tail it to remove the hook a river Otter tried to steal the fish it was something to see i have lost fish to seals but never Otters.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:51:26 PM by legend »

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »

Great read, nice shots island brotheren :D otter must have been fun!
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »

Another crazy thing that happened while fighting the second fish  when i was trying to tail it to remove the hook a river Otter tried to steal the fish it was something to see i have lost fish to seals but never Otters.
haha same thing happened to me in thge summer fishing the campbell for pinks. Damn thing came right between my legs swam around me a couple times till i had the fish close and stole it as i tried to grab the fish!
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »

Great report and nice pics legend.
I guess I should look out for otters when I go to the island. ;D