Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 21st 2011  (Read 3472 times)

KLX

Chilliwack River, February 21st 2011
« on: February 21, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »

i found myself in chilliwak on a rare occasion, i dont like fishing this area but the weather and situation seemd perfect to spend a couple hours swinging a fly.
I fished a skagit spey with a squamish poacher both in black and orange. I was getting excellent swings in the low water and it hought clarity was good. Air temp dipped drastically over the first hour to close to zero as the snow started falling.

I have a minor rant, or more of a curiousity. The run i fished was very long about 500 meters from riffle to tailout.

I noticed 3 guys fishing the middle part and one on the top. All of them were working their way down as i approached from the very bottom. I stood there at the bottom and as they got withing 200 meters, waiting for them to open up a spot at the top of the run. I was always taught to NEVER enter a run below a fisherman, especially when they are working downstream. Obvious right? common sense? right? fish are pointed upstream. So i hiked up above all of them to near the top of the run. i didnt go to the top just in case someone wanted to start the run above me at the same time. Instead, over the course of 5 min, 2 of the guys - with 500 meters of free run to choose from and keep going, decide to hike up and enter and fish right below me, with my swing almost hitting their legs as i am clearly working downstream along the run.

i have No questions as i dont suppose to understand inconsiderate people and it isnt a serious situation. but this baffles me as i went to every effort to give everyone their proper fishing room. It doesnt matter that they were gear fishermen, etiquette is etiquette and i fish baitcasters also but would never bud into a run.

colin6101

Re: Chilliwack River, February 21st 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:06:40 AM »

Yeah, this happens a lot and is why many of us shy away from systems like the vedder during salmon season. Honestly though they might of had no idea what they were doing. This etiquette may seem like common sense to people who have been river fishing for their entire lives, but it's something that many people do not understand. I was fishing the stave one time and had someone cut right in front of me when I was working a run as well and it turned out that I knew the guy. I explained what he did wrong and he honestly didn't even really know what a run was, he just saw a fishy looking spot and decided to pounce on it.

You manage to connect with any steel while you were swinging?

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »

I had a guy walk in below me yesterday and promptly hook a fish that i knew would be laying there.  Beak!!!  Hi there Rumby, have a nice day...
 ;)
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »

any fish? and that does happen alot and i mean alot. last time i was there last weekend i was fishing a small run i was in the middle of it fishing the riffles when 2 guys with spey rods came and one fished not even 10 feet to my left and the other maybe 5 to my right. I was mad, and tried saying something but they were to into their screamo music. i left 2 secs after they got there and as im 50 feet away i hear one yell fish on, he got it in the riffles i had been working.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »

It is urban river, The Vedder after all,...... you can meet people from all kind of walks of life on her shores. Walk the river and you will find solitude. ;D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:10:12 PM »

Your best bet, as others have said, is to casually mention the traditional "way of things" to them, and if they listen, great!  On a river like the Vedder, they often won't listen, and then it's your call.  Either start an argument, shrug your shoulders and continue down the run behind them, or go elsewhere.

Up to you.
:)
Tex

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:36:11 PM »

sometimes people need to be called out on there cupcakes moves. The old saying nice guys finish last definotly applies when fishing the Vedder. If you get beaked out bad voice it. Ive seen a couple confrontations before on the vedder and they ussually are entertaining. And if you dont catch a fish that day you can at least tell your buddies about how you almost or did get in a scrap on the rip wrap. hahhahahah

brownmancheng

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »

Sounds like a good way to go home empty handed apart from  a black eye

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »

I got beaked out bad for the first time a week and a half ago. Working through a run, I was almost at the tailout. Some guy (nice gear, waders, etc) walks up behind me on the bank and watches me fish for about 2 minutes. During that time I take a few steps down river as I fish to show that I am working my way down. What does he do? He steps in right below me. Within 20' of where I was standing. The guy knew what he was doing was wrong because he worked down river fast so I couldn't yell at him. But once he finished and walked back up behind me I gave him an ear full. I left the river after that. I don't have time for that sort of BS.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:59:40 PM »

Yeah, the worst feeling is when you get beaked by someone who knows exactly what he is doing and still does it anyway.

I was fishing a long riffle a couple of weeks ago in mid-river area when I saw two guys with pins and good gear wade across a side channel to arrive at the head of the long riffle. I started to pick up my pace down stream to let them know well in advance that I intended to fish down stream and they should not think about low hole-ing me. First they seem to get the message and they started to fish the side channel which I thought to be odd. I kept looking back to make sure they were there and after a while I did not keep a close eye on them.

That particular riffle is most productive from mid area down to the end. Around mid area, I see these two jokers slide right over from the side channel and low hole me by a dozen yards, both at the same time.  Later I found out that they were driving a truck with a name of a well known guiding company on the Vedder, so I assume one of them was a guide and the other a paying customer. At the end of the riffle, one of them lands a steelhead and the other fence posts pounding the pocket where the first guy landed his fish. After waiting a while I passed them, and did not say a single word as I was totally disgusted. If it was some newbie, I could understand, but a professional guide with such dispicable manners is a sad sad story. Even if his client caught a big fish, would it be enjoyable?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:06:36 PM by bigblue »

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »

I could understand, but a professional guide with such dispicable manners is a sad sad story. Even if his client caught a big fish, would it be enjoyable?

I don't think they really care..It is sad , but what can you do,just hopefully you can hook a fish behind them ;D :D

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »

I don't think they really care..It is sad , but what can you do,just hopefully you can hook a fish behind them ;D :D

I wish I were that good of a steelheader. LOL
It would be fun to watch the expression on the client's face if I pull out a big fish right behind them.  ;D :D
A fitting retribution to an ill mannered fishing guide.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:05:25 PM by bigblue »

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »

lol i find it funny when either coho or steelhead fishing and when me or my dad catch or hook a fish the guide and his costumers come rushing over to fish that excat spot while where trying to tail the fish. So we just go right beside them or both sides  :P and caught the other pair there and there so angry  ;D After that they usually just pot there all day, while we go somewhere else :D
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »

Theres only one way we can all fix this problem....................... Catch a god damn fish in the moment.
The Bigger The Better!

work2fish

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 01:42:24 PM »

i found myself in chilliwak on a rare occasion, i dont like fishing this area but the weather and situation seemd perfect to spend a couple hours swinging a fly.
I fished a skagit spey with a squamish poacher both in black and orange. I was getting excellent swings in the low water and it hought clarity was good. Air temp dipped drastically over the first hour to close to zero as the snow started falling.

I have a minor rant, or more of a curiousity. The run i fished was very long about 500 meters from riffle to tailout.

I noticed 3 guys fishing the middle part and one on the top. All of them were working their way down as i approached from the very bottom. I stood there at the bottom and as they got withing 200 meters, waiting for them to open up a spot at the top of the run. I was always taught to NEVER enter a run below a fisherman, especially when they are working downstream. Obvious right? common sense? right? fish are pointed upstream. So i hiked up above all of them to near the top of the run. i didnt go to the top just in case someone wanted to start the run above me at the same time. Instead, over the course of 5 min, 2 of the guys - with 500 meters of free run to choose from and keep going, decide to hike up and enter and fish right below me, with my swing almost hitting their legs as i am clearly working downstream along the run.

i have No questions as i dont suppose to understand inconsiderate people and it isnt a serious situation. but this baffles me as i went to every effort to give everyone their proper fishing room. It doesnt matter that they were gear fishermen, etiquette is etiquette and i fish baitcasters also but would never bud into a run.

So if I understand you correctly, some guys were fishing a run, you moved in above them and proceeded to fish the same run, and they decided to restart the run just below you, instead of going an extra 500m back up to the head of the run? And this made you mad, since they didn't go back up to the top and start again?

I know if I had just missed a fish, and someone started moving into the run I was fishing, I'd probably do what they did, and not go all the way back to the head, but go back up 50m or so and work through again, since most fish won't move that far when you miss them.  I wouldn't begrudge anyone that did the same, infact they might have thought you the inconsiderate one moving in on the run they were working floggin away with your fly. They also might have thought the run wasn't a big 500m stretch, but broken up into several smaller sections.

Personally if someone is in a run, and I still want to fish it, I try to work around them as best as possible. They were there first, so I give them the right of way, and never assume they know about rotational angling, let alone heard of it before. Some people fence post, and don't mind you working through the run, especially if you ask, others might as well be fence posting for the snail's pace they that moving through a run, and others push through trying to cover as much water as they can as quickly as they can. You've got short floaters, fly flossers, float flossers, and all sorts of people out there with a different attitude and expectation. To each their own.  Most just want to fish their little piece of water in peace, with whatever technique they are comfortable with.

Now if you were walking to an area, and some guys ran into the spot seeing you coming, not cool.  If you're fishing a run and someone decided they need to fish on top of you, not cool. If you just hooked or missed a fish, and they move into your spot, really not cool. 

Best bet, talk to them without the first words being "hey a$$hat". They may have no clue, or they may just be a jerk, or they might think you're the jerk.

Worst case it's a big river, with lots of places to fish.