Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gilly the book  (Read 8568 times)

fishgutz63

gilly the book
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »

i was given this book as  a loaner to read .i really like it  and would like to have one to call my own ,so just wondering where or how can i get myself a copy of this great book,i would also recommend this book to all that are intersted in taking up this wonderful addiction of fly fishing.thanxs

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: gilly the book
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:10:41 AM »

I don't believe this book is in print anymore. I've looked for it myself, you may have some luck on amazon or chapters online
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:24:49 PM by vancook »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »

try these guys in Manitoba to see if they still have a paperback edition:

http://www.northernangler.mb.ca/index.html

Amazon has it but $200 for new $50+ for used.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 01:12:46 PM »

Wow didn't know used books held value like that.

If you want to peek at some other fly fishing books, Google books has many previews and a few full version fly fishing books.  Lots of good reading.

http://www.google.ca/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=fly+fishing&btnG=Search+Books

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 02:00:42 PM »

The Gilly is a great book and a must read for any interior lake fly fisher.

Keep your eyes peeled on fishing forum classifieds, ebay, amazon or local book stores. It is not in print any more but used copies do pop up for a reasonable price.

I found mine on ebay.ca from a seller in kelowna.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

jimmywits

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »

i was given this book as  a loaner to read .i really like it  and would like to have one to call my own ,so just wondering where or how can i get myself a copy of this great book,i would also recommend this book to all that are intersted in taking up this wonderful addiction of fly fishing.thanxs
This is an essential book and is readily obtainable used, here in vancouver. The last one I found was at a bookstore on hastings street for a very nominal price.

quill

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »

Too bad they're sold out of new copies. Sales support great projects around BC. http://bcfff.bc.ca/gillyfund.htm

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 10:21:19 AM »

Talk the clerk at a used book store, any good book finder should be able to get you one.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »

keep your eyes peeled at thrift stores and you might find one for a few dollars
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:01:27 PM »

i put in a request for a copy at the local used bookstore in town called the bookman. In less than a week i got a phone call.
they'd found me a first edition hard cover and i think the damage was 8-12 dollars or so.
I've heard there are some discrepancies with the the first few printings  but i think its kind of neat to own the first edition nice
green hard copy.

I too was borrowing a copy from a friend and before i finished reading it all i knew i had to have one for myself.
good luck in your hunt. Its deffinantly a good idea to go talk to your local bookstore, they have some really good
resources and connections for finding those hard to find, out of print books.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »

I know a guy related to the author of the book and will be getting a brand new signed 7th edition of the book. Or at least i think he said 7th edition LOL

if you have a 1st edition i would keep it because those are the ones that bring big bucks especially if you can get it signed by the authors/writers
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »

ya im going to keep it for sure. its in real good shape. was thinking about trying to find a more recent edition so that i can just keep this one in good shape and not use it as much.
was thinking about taking this one down to the bc sportsman show for a chance to get Brian Chan to put down some ink but im sure he's going to be pretty busy.
not sure if there's an actual alloted time for signing and what not. does anyone know?

D.Sams

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »

I just ordered mine from Ebay, less than $20.00 shipped.  Can't wait to get my hands on it!

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »

I got it out from the central library in Vancouver and am returning it later thus week, think they had a couple of copies. They have a really good fishing section, especially fly fishing books, Haig Brown etc.