Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 5th 2011: A wild day  (Read 3427 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Chilliwack River, March 5th 2011: A wild day
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:12:44 PM »

Decided on friday night that me and my dad would wake up at 5:30 on saturday to go fish the chilliwack. Well he thought he would be funny and he unpluged my alarm clock in the middle of the night! and his. So at 7 i relised it was bright outside! So i quickly went and woke him up, had some food got the gear packed and left at about 8 for the hour and a bit drive to our choosen spot. We got to the borden creek parking area at 9:15 a late start, but for some reason i never have luck at first light anyways.

We made our way down to the river and were suprised to see  no one around!  today is gonna be a great trip or a terrible one. I started fishing some ripples and seams in some faster water while my dad walked down to a good looking pool. I fished this spot for a while then saw a quick flash of silver, so i cast to it, FISH ON, but its only a trout about 15" i let it go and decided to head down. My dad is no where to be seen so i give him a quick phone call, knew it he was in the spot we always have luck in. So i start making my way down fishing the edges up the rapids and a nice seam , but nothin to show for. So i fish the run with my dad, there was another guy on the other side that had been there for 45 mins with not even a bite and my dad about half an hour with nothing. So i decide to fish it with a blade, they were using jensen eggs. First cast nothing, second same, third float down! crap snag, blade gone, so i rerig with a silver colarado blade and next cast FISH ON! this time its large, and very feisty with lots of jumps and runs. After about 5 mins the fish was tailed, it was a bright chrome 15 pound wild, back it goes. We all fish the spot for another 20 mins then my dad yells FISH ON! but this time it was alot smaller a 5 pound wild back it goes. We fisshed there another 15 mins with only 1 more hit, so we decided to go back to the truck and go to thurston meadows.

My dad decided to fish a popular pool while i fished a pocket with a nice seam and lots of ripples. My second cast float down, FISH ON! it does 3 nice jumps and about a 30 yard run down river and its gone,so i look up to see how my dads doing and i see his rod dancing, we had a double header thats a first. I hurry up to him and help him tail a 12 pound rosey wild doe, back it goes next cast his floats down, he misses it. 2 casts later mines down, FISH ON! it gace a great scrap for a couple mins then came off.

Nothin else showed itself so we hiked down in to a nice looking run. We were  there for 5 mins, then I hear FISH ON, Look over and spot my dads float flying back into the trees. While hes re gearing i hook another FISH ON, after about 5 mins my dad tails it, a bullet chrome 10 pound wild, let her go. a couple casts later my floats down again! i feel a couple headshakes but quickly loose it. After another 20 mins of nothing we hike farther down fishing the pockets and seams, nothing so we go farther and spot some nice runs across in the farthest channel mostly blocked by a big tree in the water, so we cross and fish this run for an hour or so and hooked 3 fish but lost them all, so we go a little farther fishing everything with nothing. So we went back to our cross spot and crossed back over and crossed another channel to the prision camp.

We fished it for half an hour in a few runs with no one in them but nothing so we go back to the truck to head somewhere else. We were surprised that it was already almost 5, and we had to be home for 7, so we just decided to head up to the boundry. Cement slab was crystal clear and slow and low, i didnt think it would be holding anything and there was a guy already pounding it, so i went to a sweet looking run just above the rapids of the slab run. After 5 mins there i feel 2 hard hits, thats a good sign, but i couldnt mange it to re bite. So i went right to the boundry sign and first cast a nice sized trout is to hand, i continue there for a bit but then we have to go home, but i managed to get 5 more casts, well these casts didnt do anything for me but my dad a nice little steel but quickly lost it to.

We ungeared ourselves from our soaking wet rain coats and waders and headed homefor a great dinner at the uncles house of roast beef... mmhhhmmm it was good and we had fish tales to tell to. All fish were hooked on blades except for one which was on a jig i tied, all fish to the beach were wilds and water vis was about 3 feet going to 2 with all the rain, must be a clay slide that opened. Was a great day and surprinsingly good fishing and not very busy. Sorry theres no pics, we have wrecked to many camreas  :P get out there soon while fishings hot. All fish were wild does.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:42:36 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Chilliwack River, March 5th 2011: A wild day
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:20:08 PM »

You should fix this report and break it down into paragraphs. Myself I wont read your report written this way. Not to sound harsh but it makes it very difficult to read.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »

You should fix this report and break it down into paragraphs. Myself I wont read your report written this way. Not to sound harsh but it makes it very difficult to read.
thanks for the advice, fixed now  :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »

I did, nice report and a stellar day!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »

Great report steelie!  :)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »

thanks for the advice, fixed now  :)

Much better!!

Nice read, good to see a father and son out there having a blast and sharing a common interest.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 08:12:20 PM »

well written...maybe a little too descriptive on location, but otherwise a great read...congratulations to you and your dad on a successful trip.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

do u have any pictures from this amazing day? pics or it didn't happen ;D

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 03:58:07 PM »

no pics, back in december the camrea fell in the water, and my phone camrea is crap, but did happen

Thrasher

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »

;) lol

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 05:59:35 AM »

There was only 3 fish in the River on saturday, your story doesnt add up... ;)
The Bigger The Better!

Kenwee

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:21:27 AM »

Sometimes when I read these fishing reports, I wonder how come so many people including myself have no luck despite trying and trying, also out at the river you see other fishers have the same stroke of luck, the fish being so elusive or scarce, we just have to wait another for that lucky strike.

Yet for some reason, fact or fiction someone reports have incredible luck.

I take these reports with a pinch of salt these days.

the carp

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »

Who cares if its fact or fiction, its a good read. Seems if some guys aren't hookin fish they don't believe anyone else is. As far as too descriptive, there are no secrets on the Vedder any more.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 10:03:40 AM »

Who cares if its fact or fiction, its a good read. Seems if some guys aren't hookin fish they don't believe anyone else is. As far as too descriptive, there are no secrets on the Vedder any more.

Exactly, a 16 year old kid spent the time to write up a pretty descriptive story about his outing and some (the usual participants) chose to rain on his parade. Very adult-like. ::)

Anyway, keep the stories coming steelie-slayer, with or without photos.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »

great post danny boy... keep it up, i look forward to the next few reports. 8)
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!