Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 20th 2011  (Read 2681 times)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Chilliwack River, March 20th 2011
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »

Fished the upper reaches today, hooked two, quick fight each, lost two.....I suck  :D.

Saw a young fella land a beauty up there as well, probably 15 lbs or so.  :o

brownmancheng

Re: Chilliwack River, March 20th 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »

Fished the upper reaches today, hooked two, quick fight each, lost two.....I suck  :D.

Don't be so hard on yourself spent the whole day at the river with my brother and not even a sniff. Actually didnt even talk to anyone that had seen evidence of steel ( except for freds tackle where one 14.5 lb buck had been brought). Here I was telling myself it was just a slow day at the river, guess it was just me :(

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:12:07 PM »

i have yet to meet a fisherman who've never lost a fish let alone a steelie...the fact that you've found and hooked them shows that you're doing something right.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »

i loose 2 or 3 for every 1 that i land lol
loosing 2 is better then nothing though  :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

n8

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:08:39 AM »

saw 2 hooked up there as well and my buddy saw another 6 today. I also saw one guy who bonked no less than 18, yes, EIGHTEEN white fish and a few rainbows mixed in there. My dad was amazed too. Whole damm garbage bag full of em. isn't there a limit for white fish? if you're allowed to keep them at all...

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:11:44 AM »

Yap..... you can keep 15 of them legally.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »

i loose 2 or 3 for every 1 that i land lol
loosing 2 is better then nothing though  :)

Man, you need to work on how you play your fish. My landing ratio for steelhead this year is 75.8% (I keep a detailed fishing log).

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »

Man, you need to work on how you play your fish. My landing ratio for steelhead this year is 75.8% (I keep a detailed fishing log).
ya i know, except usually the lost ones are right on the beach when my dad goes to tail em and spookes them and then line goes under a rock and fish gone :(
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

azafai

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »

spent the whole day at the river.   hooked nothing and didn't even see one.  very slow day...
at around 3PM and after I saw dramatic ugly changes in mid river .... chocolaty river...while upper was still gin clear... and when I was driving home at around 5:30 canal looked OK at KWB..

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »

ya i know, except usually the lost ones are right on the beach when my dad goes to tail em and spookes them and then line goes under a rock and fish gone :(

usually when i've identified a hatchery, i'll play it out until it turns on it's side...that's when you know the fish is spent...horsing a steelie to shore is the biggest mistake you can make, especially when your adrenaline is pumping.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »

usually when i've identified a hatchery, i'll play it out until it turns on it's side...that's when you know the fish is spent...horsing a steelie to shore is the biggest mistake you can make, especially when your adrenaline is pumping.
i release everything so i dont really care if its lost or landed

mr.p

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »

Also depends a lot on the water thats being fished.  If you're fishing slow water  or small flows with not much current, its a hell of a lot easier to land fish compared to fishing faster water, pockets, seams, etc.

I myself average 60-65% landing ratio consistently over the years.  Unfortunately, its seems most of the fish that get away are the trophies!
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »

Also depends a lot on the water thats being fished.  If you're fishing slow water  or small flows with not much current, its a hell of a lot easier to land fish compared to fishing faster water, pockets, seams, etc.

I myself average 60-65% landing ratio consistently over the years.  Unfortunately, its seems most of the fish that get away are the trophies!
so true always the nice ones gone
but i also class a good bite has a lost fish, but when there on there on and about 65% of the time  with a handshake
i fish upperriver from prision camp up in the fast water

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »

I also saw one guy who bonked no less than 18, yes, EIGHTEEN white fish and a few rainbows mixed in there.
I haven't heard of that many whitefish caught in one day on the Chilliwack for at least 25 years.  It would be nice to think they are making a comeback.  Strange you can still retain 15 rmw when anyone who fishes this system knows that (at least till now) they are not plentiful ???  And now 18 fewer.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »

I was thinking the same thing Dave.

I grew up in Yarrow and fished the lower vedder a lot as a kid. I remeber 15 or so years ago catching a fair amount of whitefish as bicatch, some actually quite large ones too. We always just released them. I haven't caught or seen one on the vedder/chilliwack in a long time, until this sunday. I caught one about 13-14" in the upper river.