Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 19th & 21st 2011  (Read 2871 times)

flyrod

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, March 19th & 21st 2011
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:00:15 AM »

I decided to hit the flow for an hour or two on Saturday afternoon after the crowd had dispersed.  Went down to one of my favourite runs on the lower river.  Found some nice water and began to fish it.  Down goes my float....tug tug....nothing.  So, try, try again.  Fishing with pink worm in the middle of the run working my way down.  A fellow fisher comes down river to me and says that the tailout is good holding water so he walks down from me 30 feet, makes "one cast" and he is into a nice steelie.  He works it down river and brings it in, releasing it after a quick pix.  So, I said to him, I can't believe you did that.  He chuckles.  What was the steelie?  About 12 lb. wild buck chrome with sea lice on him.  He continued to fish below me but got nothing.  I fished a bit more with Jensen Egg and wool and hit a trout that was on and off in two seconds.  That concluded my run of the river.

Went out yesterday for a couple of hours on the lower river once again.  It was raining and cool.  My buddy had been there since early morning spey fishing.  He caught about a 7 lb dolly.  I fished the fly for a couple of hours and hooked nothing.  Didn't see or hear of any fish hooked or caught.  The river clouded up during the day making the visibility about 2 feet maximum. It is the time of year to put the gear rod away and work the spey.  Looking forward to warmer Spring weather as I am done with cold wet windy weather!!!!

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, March 19th & 21st 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »

It's low holers like that, that make the Vedder such a wonderful place to fish. :(

bcguy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »

It's low holers like that, that make the Vedder such a wonderful place to fish. :(
It all depends on the individual working the run, if your not moving through it, expect it to lose any water below you.
If you are hitting the hot spots, making progress down the run in an obvious fashion, then yeah, its bad etiquette.
Too many times I see guys stand in one place casting to the same spot timeaftertimeaftertimeaftertimeaftertime, and then cant quite get it throught their tiny little brains why someone "low holed you" after standing in the same spot for more than 10 or 15 minutes, shoot sometimes I think the great Steelhead season, when the real fish hunters comeout to play, has turned into another salmon season
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

brownmancheng

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »

It all depends on the individual working the run, if your not moving through it, expect it to lose any water below you.
If you are hitting the hot spots, making progress down the run in an obvious fashion, then yeah, its bad etiquette.
Too many times I see guys stand in one place casting to the same spot timeaftertimeaftertimeaftertimeaftertime, and then cant quite get it throught their tiny little brains why someone "low holed you" after standing in the same spot for more than 10 or 15 minutes, shoot sometimes I think the great Steelhead season, when the real fish hunters comeout to play, has turned into another salmon season

Couldn't agree more a lot of ppl u see fence post and then are upset when ppl move past them like they own the water as far as the eye can see.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »

Correct.
That's why after waiting a reasonable few minutes I ask him if he is going to move down or not.

If I get a rude "That's none of your business - I just proceed to fish 20-30 yards below them.

If I get a clear indication that the guy is comfortably glued to his spot, I proceed to fish a few yards below him.

If I get a polite reply in the lines of "I am working the run", I will wait for the guy to move a bit downstream and then fish above him.

If, on the other hand, I encounter an inconsiderate individual who attempts to low-hole me at the run I am fishing, I pick up a nice big boulder and toss it in the water just before his first cast.
"WTF?!?"
You should see the looks on their face. But it does send a clear message.  :D

I just have no time and patience for stupid and/or rude people anymore. >:(

bcguy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »

The one stickler I encounter that hasn't caused problems, but can be uncomfortable at times, is when someone is moving up the river and proceeds to fish from the tailout up???? :-\
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »

Why even go out there then, there's probably more "stupid and/or rude people" out there than not. All people need is a cranky old bugger to boot !!  ;D  :D

Come on now, it's the Vedder River "Year 2011", not 1975, get over it and deal with what is, I know it's hard, but the sad reality of it all is that the river is full of "beeks and bozo's" most every month of the year nowadays.  >:(

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 10:56:43 PM »

Correct.
That's why after waiting a reasonable few minutes I ask him if he is going to move down or not.

If I get a rude "That's none of your business - I just proceed to fish 20-30 yards below them.

If I get a clear indication that the guy is comfortably glued to his spot, I proceed to fish a few yards below him.

If I get a polite reply in the lines of "I am working the run", I will wait for the guy to move a bit downstream and then fish above him.

If, on the other hand, I encounter an inconsiderate individual who attempts to low-hole me at the run I am fishing, I pick up a nice big boulder and toss it in the water just before his first cast.
"WTF?!?"
You should see the looks on their face. But it does send a clear message.  :D

so let me get this right, if you think someone is fence posting you'll proceed to fish a few yards below them, but if someone attempts to low hole you...you'll toss a boulder in the water just before they cast? why? sounds like you have a case of entitlement.

a few weeks ago my brother and i walked into a run thinking we had the hole shot...but quickly realized, two guys were already working their way down from the run above....we waited and after about ten minutes they got to where we were and they indicated they wanted to continue down so we cordially stepped back and allowed them to proceed...not more than 3 paces from where i stood, one of them hooked into a wild steelie..after a brief battle, he landed and released the fish and continued to work the water until his buddy hooked and lost one himself...next thing we knew they planted themselves and no longer had the desire to move on.

so tell me, should i have gotten upset?...well of course i felt a little beeked out, but you know what?  the reason why people work the river is to find the fish...so naturally, when they do, their tendency is to stay put... i've experienced that situation at least three times this past season...ironically, i found myself doing the same thing a week ago, when i kept getting hits, but had problems with my hookset  ::)...i was at that spot for over an hour and didn't even realize it. ???

sometimes, it's best to let by gones be by gones.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 11:57:51 PM »

Yeah... there is a problem with some people fence posting, but what I do after waiting a reasonable time is politely ask if I could pass them. Most people know when they are fence posting and would say yes or really pick up their pace. I have yet to meet someone who did neither when politely asked so far. Key is being polite. Problem is when there are two or three guys in front of me fence posting at say 10 yards intervals in the lower river (AKA combat fishing), in that case I ask each of them if I could pass, and I have yet to meet someone who said no when they are fence posting. Yes, I don't get to fish that choice area, but there is not much anyone can do to force someone who is fence posting to move. When I really want to fish that area, I would do long drifts but make sure my casts are well syncronised with the two or three guys below me and not get in their way. Yes it is bad manners to do long drifts, but guys who are fence posting also know that what they are doing is also bad manners, so as long as my drifts are well coordinated, it is tolerated. After I cover those area in that way, I will ask politely to pass all of them and they will say yes to send me away.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 12:19:51 AM »

Usually when I fish the Vedder, there are no one above me, no one below me, but there are also no fish in front of me. :-\

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 12:24:28 AM »

i have no problem with people fence posting...there's so much river to cover, one spot wouldn't make a difference to my success or failure...what i hate is when someone corks in beside you because they think they're fishing the Fraser.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 12:28:07 AM »

Usually when I fish the Vedder, there are no one above me, no one below me, but there are also no fish in front of me. :-\

:D ;D :D

i've experienced that too...it's one of those bittersweet moments.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »

I decided to hit the flow for an hour or two on Saturday afternoon after the crowd had dispersed.  Went down to one of my favourite runs on the lower river.  Found some nice water and began to fish it.  Down goes my float....tug tug....nothing.  So, try, try again.  Fishing with pink worm in the middle of the run working my way down.  A fellow fisher comes down river to me and says that the tailout is good holding water so he walks down from me 30 feet, makes "one cast" and he is into a nice steelie.  He works it down river and brings it in, releasing it after a quick pix.  So, I said to him, I can't believe you did that.  He chuckles.  What was the steelie?  About 12 lb. wild buck chrome with sea lice on him.  He continued to fish below me but got nothing.  I fished a bit more with Jensen Egg and wool and hit a trout that was on and off in two seconds.  That concluded my run of the river.

Went out yesterday for a couple of hours on the lower river once again.  It was raining and cool.  My buddy had been there since early morning spey fishing.  He caught about a 7 lb dolly.  I fished the fly for a couple of hours and hooked nothing.  Didn't see or hear of any fish hooked or caught.  The river clouded up during the day making the visibility about 2 feet maximum. It is the time of year to put the gear rod away and work the spey.  Looking forward to warmer Spring weather as I am done with cold wet windy weather!!!!

sorry the topic got a little side tracked...

thanks for the report.  :)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:07:26 AM »

So true.....

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 07:53:25 AM »

Why even go out there then, there's probably more "stupid and/or rude people" out there than not. All people need is a cranky old bugger to boot !!  ;D  :D

Come on now, it's the Vedder River "Year 2011", not 1975, get over it and deal with what is, I know it's hard, but the sad reality of it all is that the river is full of "beeks and bozo's" most every month of the year nowadays.  >:(

That's why I try to get away of it all. And most of the time it works, even on the Vedder. Most 2011 Vedder fishermen are too lazy to go more than a hundred yards away from their cars.  :D

Stillwater season is around the corner anyway...a nice and quiet interior lake, the boat...ahhh! It's all good. :)