Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vancouver Island, March 29th 2011: Steelheading  (Read 2173 times)

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
Vancouver Island, March 29th 2011: Steelheading
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:05:16 PM »

Hello again everyone, I've been hearing that the Vedder has been productive for most of you guys. I'm here stuck on the island and missing the big river, but the fishing here I cant really complain too much about. The weather has been good and sunny and now recently started raining, finally! Water has been low and clear for the last week or so now coming up getting a little colored but still very clear. With the weather like this, went out towards the river praying for a good day out.

Around 10:00am a friend of mine calls me saying "lets go fishing!" with nothing better to do, how can I turn it down?  :D Grabbed the gear, tie up some leaders then off to the river to have some fun. We get to our usual parking spot, put on our waders then walk into the forest towards the river and as we head towards the river, wolf tracks. Stop for a brief moment, cool! then continue on down. Coming out of the bushes, the first thing we see is a big tail out in front of us. Above it a massive slooww deeeeep moving pool! Sweeeet  8) My friend fished the tail out while I headed towards the top, and we worked towards the middle of the run then switch spots. That’s normally how we fish the runs so we can discuss about how we can get them to bite because we didn’t get a sniff on the first pass  :-\ "Should we move down to the next run?" my friend asks. "Hmm.... I don’t know, but this looks pretty fishy. There’s gotta be a fish in there somewhere, maybe we doing something wrong." So we said lets stay for another 10 min. He headed for the tail out, and I headed for the top again. The way I've setup was about 6' deep and it was not touching the bottom. *zip* to 9' then a cast out. Still not touching the bottom and as it drifted nicely past by a fallen over cedar then *FUMP!* float goes under. Set the hook then felt a head shake, jumped a few times then landed as quickly as I can. Nice little buck, stole a picture then back into the river. Nothing else came out of that run so we headed down to the next run.

In the past we’ve hooked 4 fish out of this run in one day, today we were hoping it would be the same story. Many casts, not a sniff. Cast walk, cast walk, cast walk, nothing. At the tail out an over hanging tree, shortened up the float. Threw it out there and as the float swung the float bobbed but didn’t set the hook, something’s there! With another cast up, the float goes down at the same spot. As I fight the fish, it goes crazy!!  :o A bright silver doe jumping all over the place! With an awesome fight she was landed, snapped then released back into the river as she disappeared into the cold cedar tinted water. My friend heads down to the run ahead as I stay to look for another. As I turn around to get to the next run, I hear “YEAAAAAAAAAA!” a rod in the distance bent down with a silver fish jumping on the water. So I ran down to see him land his fish. Bright little doe, snapped then released. He sighed in relief as this fish was his first in the last month.  ;D

I normally don’t write a report very long and detailed but I’m just going to cut it short from here on.  ;D My friend landed 3, I’ve also landed 3 that day, he hit 3 does one was a 16lber. Beauty! And for myself a doe and 2 bucks. Here are some shots I'd like to share!

Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Vancouver Island, March 29th 2011: Steelheading
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »

Nice looking fish, Squirrel.  Is that a floating line you swung the bunny leech on for that last fish?
Not all those who wander are lost

bluesteele

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:01:26 PM »

Beauties !

Love island steelheading....

Thanks for sharing.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »

Wow! Very nice! Love fishing those tannin colored rivers on the island...

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 10:41:27 PM »

Great pics and story too.
Love to fish the Island rivers one of these days. :)

Danube Boy

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »

Pimpin aviators in the last pic!

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 09:27:01 AM »

Thanks guys! I still miss the vedder though! Fishing brown tinted waters is definately something new.

Nice looking fish, Squirrel.  Is that a floating line you swung the bunny leech on for that last fish?

Its a floating skagit head with a 3.5' of t-14 linked to a 3.5' of t-11 with 2.5' of 12lbs leader.  8)
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »

LOL! Those weren't "wolf tracks". Those were my Pup's paw prints. He is half Timber Wolf though, and a fair number of folks make that same mistake!

Great to see you found some FUN in our backyard!!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

Grub

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »

what river is that?  ???
not cool enough for a banner

slick vic

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 11:43:43 PM »

Nice bud, pure awesomeness.
ps. Tom said hi and he still works there weekends.