Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buntzen Lake, April 16th 2011  (Read 2331 times)

sdpark

Buntzen Lake, April 16th 2011
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »

Full disclosure - I'm a fly fishing newbie, and even worse, a forum newbie.  I've tried to do my research independently, and I've also tried to make sure that I'm not re-posting or asking dumb questions.  I would be grateful for any information more experienced participant's would care to share.

I spent today on Buntzen on my pontoon boat.  It was a lovely experience, complete with a hail storm.  I spent most of my time in the leg to the left/west of the boat launch.  I was using a type III sinking line with a brown leech, mostly trolling.  I caught nothing, didn't even get a sniff.  I didn't see much fish activity - two or three rising, one jumper in the middle of the channel southish of the cliffs. 

I've read many reports from Buntzen and it sounds like a lake where a new fisher could have some luck.  I would be very grateful for your opinions on what I might be doing wrong (gear, geography, technique) and how I might be more successful in the future. 

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:00:57 AM »

Maybe you were doing everything right; it's called fishing not catching.

But maybe you were trolling too fast (your fly won't get down as far)
Maybe too slow (the fly will sink deeper but may not have the right acction)
You've got to change it up some times.

Maybe the fly was the wrong colour that day (black is a good but did you try green?)

Were you paddling around willy nilly with no set direction or were you following the contours of the lake?
(following the contour - shoreline- progressively getting further from shore you will eventually find the drop offs; and it is a deep little lake. If you don't know the lake this can be helpful without a depth sounder).
Were you fishing near structure ?(places where fish could hide or lurk; reeds, vegetation over hangs.......).

Were you.....?
Did you....?

Your question is rather general it's like saying: I don't understand calculus, I put the numbers on the paper but the answers are wrong.

In the fly forum there's a bunch of the basic information that applies to most any lake.
Perhaps start a new thread "tips for fly fishing Buntzen Lake?" if there isn't one already.

Here's couple links that might help you understand the lake better.

Good luck

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/buntzen_lake.html

An old report but here's the topography

http://www.sharphooks.com/tripplanner.aspx?subpage=showreport&lake=buntzen+lake+-+south&lakeid=133&reportid=2398
http://www.sharphooks.com/tripplanner.aspx?subpage=showreport&lake=buntzen+lake+-+north&lakeid=13&reportid=2008

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »

Full disclosure - I'm a fly fishing newbie, and even worse, a forum newbie.  I've tried to do my research independently, and I've also tried to make sure that I'm not re-posting or asking dumb questions.  I would be grateful for any information more experienced participant's would care to share.

I spent today on Buntzen on my pontoon boat.  It was a lovely experience, complete with a hail storm.  I spent most of my time in the leg to the left/west of the boat launch.  I was using a type III sinking line with a brown leech, mostly trolling.  I caught nothing, didn't even get a sniff.  I didn't see much fish activity - two or three rising, one jumper in the middle of the channel southish of the cliffs.  

I've read many reports from Buntzen and it sounds like a lake where a new fisher could have some luck.  I would be very grateful for your opinions on what I might be doing wrong (gear, geography, technique) and how I might be more successful in the future.  
Hi there, don't get discouraged, it sounds to me like the fish were off the bite. I fish Buntzen allot and trolling a brown leech around on a type 3 sinker will usually get you action. Try changing lines to test different depths to find the zone the fish are occuping and start changing patterns according to what you are seeing on the water and what you have researched about the lake. Some days, especially early in the season, the fish can be quite close to the surface and a type 3 sinker will have your fly to deep. Also the eastern shoreline can be very productive so if nothing is happening down the south arm head over there. There are numerous  streams flowing into the lake all along there. I have had days on Buntzen with non stop action and like the flick of a swith they go right off the bite. My favorite fly's in there are  Wooly buggers, black or olive spratleys, olive carey specials
black micro leeches with a red bead head and red tinsel in the body. Hope this helps

tight lines

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:55:07 AM by jimmywits »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »

If you are trolling let a lot of line out.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »

The reason why you didn't catch fish is the area you were fishing. That zone behind the island sucks. It's pretty much void of fish.

Next time you go, set out from the beach and troll your fly over the dropoff parallel to the beach towards the doggy off leash area (the dropoff is very close to the beach, and very sudden).
Make sure your fly stays in the first 12 feet of water, which means a slime line 80% out at slow trolling speed would be perfect. Any fly will do, but black and olive micro-leeches work best this time of the year.

When you reach the submerged fence, turn 90 degrees to the north and head across the lake towards the big rock, staying parallel to the east end of the lake. Troll that stretch at different distances from the shore a few times. You will limit out in a couple of hours garanteed.

If you want to be adventurous, head all the way accross the lake to the North Beach and fish the north-west corner. The best bottom on Buntzen Lake is over there and likely the only area conducive to chironomid fishing. You can slowly troll the fly along the west 'wall'. ;)

If it is large fish you are looking for, get a type 7 flyline and fish at 70' plus DOWN with the biggest and meanest wooly bugger you have.

Tight lines,

Milo

sdpark

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »

Thanks for all of your help on my open ended question (if anyone would like to explain calculus to me, I failed at that too...).  It sounds like the gear and technique were in the ballpark, but I should try other parts of the lake.  I've got a box full of the flies mentioned, and I will be a little quicker to change to  them next time.  I will also explore the Eastern shore more diligently.   I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge with me and look forward to more productive days ahead. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Buntzen Lake, April 16th 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »

In my opinion, Buntzen Lake is one of the harder lakes to fish for stocked catchable rainbows because of its size.

The eastern shoreline is definitely better. I like the area between the Lookout on the east shore and the island directly out from it. Quite often I've seen schools of fish surfacing between those two points.

We were there last Wednesday for awhile. Nina caught all the fish while I only managed to hook one briefly. ::)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »

when we use to fish Buntzen we went around the corner to the left of the launch. mainly to not get stuck in the wind in belly boats. We just trolled black Doc Spratleys on dry lines and did pretty good. never got skunked as fas as i can remember  ;D

never tried along the other side because we got stuck in the wind one day trying to make out way there and one hell of a time getting back
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

jimmywits

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 09:23:15 AM »

Wind can be ferocious on that lake, if I want to fish the north west corner I check out the up to date forcast first.
Even rowing my pram can be a challenge rowing back from the far end of that lake in the wind, and it can take a long time if it's really gusting.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »

Wind can be ferocious on that lake, if I want to fish the north west corner I check out the up to date forcast first.
Even rowing my pram can be a challenge rowing back from the far end of that lake in the wind, and it can take a long time if it's really gusting.

True. Good on you for reminding us of that.
One day I returned to the South beach all wet and cold, with 4 inches of water in my dinghy.  :o

jimmywits

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »

True. Good on you for reminding us of that.
One day I returned to the South beach all wet and cold, with 4 inches of water in my dinghy.  :o
Now that you mention that, one day I was on the water in my pram and it started hailing and it was the densest hail I have ever seen. The little boat was filling up with hail and I took the precaution and headed for shore and by the time I got there I too had several inches of ice and water to bail.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »

The reason why you didn't catch fish is the area you were fishing. That zone behind the island sucks. It's pretty much void of fish.

actually when kokanee are biting, its one of the best spots to fish them, right off those cliffs on that western inlet.
and as for trolling, i never had much luck with flies and the such. willow-leaf and wedding ring with worms work best imho.  ;) i almost never come away empty handed when using that combo. best of luck.