Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, April 28th 2011  (Read 3992 times)

deepcovehooker

Chilliwack River, April 28th 2011
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »

Well it was the last steelie trip of the season for me and my buddy.  Left North Van about 6:30 am heading out Hwy 1.  The weather was kind of confused, some sun, light rain and heavy rain, sleet and hail, but luckally not much wind.

The water was not bad both up and down river, about 2 feet of visibility all day.   I hooked into one steelie but lost it after about 10 seconds, nothing from my buddy.  Guy across the river from me released a steelie about 9 to 10 pounds and just a beautiful silver colour so some fresh fish still coming in. 

Fished for different runs using wool, spinners, roe bags and corkies.     

While fishing the powerline run a fish about 5 - 6 ponds must have jumped right of the water about 10 times as it drifted down the river never seen that at this time of the year before.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Chilliwack River, April 28th 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »

A spawned out fish on its lasy breath? or a actively feeding kelt heading back to sea? these clean fish are making me want to take up fly fishing. ;)
The Bigger The Better!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:48 PM »

my dad and i were also out today with the fly rods, he had one on but lost it during an aerial display. We missed a few other hits and i saw a ton of whitefish rising today some of them were literally an arms reach away from me, glad to see more of the little buggers around after not seeing many in the past couple years  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:47:09 PM »

my dad and i were also out today with the fly rods, he had one on but lost it during an aerial display. We missed a few other hits and i saw a ton of whitefish rising today some of them were literally an arms reach away from me, glad to see more of the little buggers around after not seeing many in the past couple years  ;D
good to hear you got some luck on the fly,
those white fish are still around in great numbers, i have caught many in smaller sections when fly fishing trout or for steelies, also on gear with a jensen egg or roe
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:21:17 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »

my dad and i were also out today with the fly rods, he had one on but lost it during an aerial display. We missed a few other hits and i saw a ton of whitefish rising today some of them were literally an arms reach away from me, glad to see more of the little buggers around after not seeing many in the past couple years  ;D
Another report that mentions whitefish :) If they are making a comeback that is very good news.   I'm curious Hook where you saw these fish - I'm not asking you to name the run but what section of the river ie lower, mid or upper, above clay banks.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:17:09 PM »

I saw them at the Beaver dam run, one of the runs above the Vedder Crossing and TONS of them at the Train bridge run. this is the first time i have seen any in 2-3 yrs and to see probably 50+ rises it was a great sign  ;D Oh and i saw a bloody Otter at the Beaver run and i know it was an Otter because it was less than 20 feet awat just staring at me for nearly a minute before diving back under and it had no big flat tail as i figured it was a beaver at first
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »

I caught my first whitefish this year on the vedder, up near tamahi. Neat looking fish. Had alot of shine to it, they have a very tiny mouth and what looked like a nose that extended beyond the mouth. Anyone have any pictures on one?
The Bigger The Better!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »

I caught my first whitefish this year on the vedder, up near tamahi. Neat looking fish. Had alot of shine to it, they have a very tiny mouth and what looked like a nose that extended beyond the mouth. Anyone have any pictures on one?
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/sport_fish/ its listed here with a pic
and with otters at thurston meadows camping there at Easter the small pool infront of camp i saw 2 little otters swiming about and playing on the bank, boy they sure seemed surprised to see me and just stared at me for like 3 minutes, also in march at thurston where theres the big stump in the river by camp i saw a huge beaver, eating a good sized steelhead  :o in the section inffront of thurston to the prision camp there is lots of whitefish. there very willing biters.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »

also in march at thurston where theres the big stump in the river by camp i saw a huge beaver, eating a good sized steelhead 

Beavers are herbivores. Never heard of one eating meat.
Fish love to live in the entrance to the lodge because they never get eaten.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »

Jeez, first it was the “Indians”, next the off shore drift netters, throw in some sea lice  ;)… now we know the terrible toothsome truth …  who knew, all along it's been beavers eating steelhead :D :D :D 

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »

well its true, and Fin had a similiar experience.
i wasnt smoking nothin  ::)
atleast the steelhead wasnt eating the beaver

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »

when i camp at thruston i eat the beaver... ;D
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

mattyo

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »

;D

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »

save me a peice and the fur for fly tying  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »

Don't go there FA, don't go there...discipline, discipline ;D ;D