Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunkwa Lake area, May 12th - 14th 2011  (Read 2065 times)

flyrod

• Old Timer
Tunkwa Lake area, May 12th - 14th 2011
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »

My son and I went to Tunkwa May 12-14 and stay at the Tunkwa lodge in one of their cabins.  We have been there a number of times over the years.  Tunkwa has our number!!  We have not done hardly anything there in 16 years. Leighton does well for us.  We arrived after the big rain storm and our cabin was surrounded by water #5.  We talked to Al Patton the owner plus a group of guys that had been there for 5 days and they got Nada.  Water in lake was 45 degrees.  So, we went over to Morgan.  Our first time there. Nice lake but couldn't believe the weeds around the shore and on the bottom of the lake. Lots of bug life.  We fished from 1-6:30 pm and my son landed two 15inches and 18 inches.  Caught on pumpkinseed leech size 10 and a Static Chirony on size 16.  Hooked and lost a couple more.  The fish fight like springs...just dig deep and run for the bottom.  Went back that evening and talked to some more guys, Milo, Brian and friends who had come in for the weekend.  Not much happening on Tunkwa that day.  That night the temperature dropped to -6 degrees and we just about froze in the cabin.  Had to get up at 2 am and make a fire which at 4 am was now killing us with heat.  Next day we went back to Morgan, beautiful day light wind.  Went back to our spot and tried the same with my son hooking three in a row 15-19 inches.  Then I got mine, 14 inches and 18 inches on leech and pregnant shrimp.  Hooked and lost some more.  We watched the turtles coming out on to the logs to sun tan.  A muskrat swam over to them and climbed up on the log, tried to bump on off, but no such luck. Too funny to watch.  Then an eagle got mad at an osprey and chased it around the lake for quite awhile before giving up.  Enjoyed fishing that lake,  I hear there are some big fish in that pond. Talked to Milo that day and they had caught 4 on Morgan on size 18 chironies.  Daphnia were microscopic in size.  Tough to match the hatch.
Next day we fished Leighton for four hours with just a couple of light hits and one small one.  Not much action lots of jumpers and fishermen.  The barometer was bouncing all over the place making the fishing very unstable.  It was good to get out on the still waters.  Looking forward to spring kicking in one of these days.   

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Tunkwa Lake area, May 12th - 14th 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »

Nice seeing you up there Rod.

I have fished that lake allot and that was the toughest it has ever been, same with Morgan. We just went on probably the worst possible weekend of the spring LOL I caught one fish the entire time I was there. Fish jumping everywhere but they were not on the feed. On Saturday afternoon Tunkwa had a ton of chironomids coming off in all different sizes but they wouldnt touch anything. I got lucky and caught one trolling a red carey.

Oh well one week from now and I head for Sheridan.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »

Tunkwa has always been know for being a challenge with lots of jumping fish, but sometimes you get lucky.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

poper

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:00:12 AM »

I was fishing the Sheridan area last week and it was great fishing although Sheridan lake was really slow,it should be great next week.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »

I was there from the 9 to the 14 as well, cold wet and miserable. Only 3 fish in 5 days ! Flyrod, was that you and your son in cabin 5 with the Princecraft I was talking to ?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »

I was fishing the Sheridan area last week and it was great fishing although Sheridan lake was really slow,it should be great next week.

There is another tuff fishery. Use to be very good but then someone got the bright idea to plant Gerards in there. Like other lakes where the Gerards have been planted out of their native habitat, they have eaten every thing in sight.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:02:14 PM »

Yes, that was me, Rod, and my son, Richard.  I am heading up to Sheridan lake on Tuesday for 4 days then up to Dragon lake for 4 days.  Hope to also hit Forest Lake if it isn't a gong show.  Need some consistent warm weather to bring the bite on consistantly for awhile.  Ricahrd is going up tomorrow to Kane Lake area with his wife to stir the water. 
Keep your boat afloat and your rod in line with the swish of the fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »

Hey, Brian yes it was a cold and tough couple days to fish.  White beard Bill and Billy Jr. were fishing hard up there and caught hardly a thing.  I think that June will be like May in other years with the late spring happening .  See you again on the pond.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »

Hey, Brian yes it was a cold and tough couple days to fish.  White beard Bill and Billy Jr. were fishing hard up there and caught hardly a thing.  I think that June will be like May in other years with the late spring happening .  See you again on the pond.

WHITE BEARD BILL, thats funny. Everyone from the interior to the Vedder knows dad by that big white beard !

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »

I would have referred to him as Methusaleh or Rumplestillskin but that might be over exaggerating the beard thing.  It is your dad's signature and trademark.  Rod