Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Racoon in our storage shed.  (Read 5265 times)

arimaBOATER

Racoon in our storage shed.
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »

The other day opened the outside storage shed door & what do I see at the back....a racoon.
The air kiinda did not smell so great either.
At the end & quite high up there was a openning about 6ft up ...not too big but enough that a racoon can crawl in & out.
It must of ripped the siding abit becasue that hole was not that big before.
The racoon actually stuck his head out partly & made a threating noise & showed it's teeth !!!!

Yesterday openned up the door & shined a light & sure enough there it was poking it's head out from some of my stored stuff.
Just 30 minutes ago checked in there & poked around with a 8 foot poker..."great no racoon" so got a piece of plywood & screwed it over the openning.
Hopefully it is not getting in the shed via another area...

Think these guys carry alot of germs etc. ???..so guess I'll have to spray some bleach etc... hope that's the end of it. :o
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:24:12 PM by A-BOATER »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Racoon in our storage shed.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »

Seems like there are lots of those tasty critters around. I saw a tv show on them and they stay in the hood so the thing hasn't gone too far away.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:13 AM »

What about a live trap??  Trap it, set it loose somewhere else?

John
- John A.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »

Pepper spray it...

can make your own with cayenne Tabasco etc...

:-X

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »

My favorite recipe is also the easiest to make.

INGREDIENTS:
1 (whole) sledgehammer

DIRECTIONS:
1. Apply business end of hammer directly to skull of varmint.
2. Clean up.

Okay, okay, kidding!!
- John A.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »

My favorite recipe is also the easiest to make.

INGREDIENTS:
1 (whole) sledgehammer

DIRECTIONS:
1. Apply business end of hammer directly to skull of varmint.
2. Clean up.

Okay, okay, kidding!!

Actually, that's the method for hunting deer in the Queen Charlottes except you use an apple and a hammer.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »

JAway think ya have a good idea. Possibly SPCA will lend out a trip door trap...bait the racoon with some food...then just go let the thing loose over by say the south end of #5 RD & River R on the main arm of the Fraser R. There is alot of bush in that area.

Did the patch out job last night in the dark ...as that's when the racoon was out of the shed.
Just checked a minute ago...& the "thing" went & pulled off the very top piece of siding near the shed roof JUST ABOVE where I screwed on a piece of plywood to cover the other hole.

(Richmond now picks up people's grass cuttings as well as left over vegs...potatoe peals etc...left-overs SO possibly during the week before pick-up a few cans are being knocked over by racoons & they are having a feast.....if so the racoon pop. is going to increase big time here in Richmond.)
The racoon likes that area as it can drop down to that shed location off a sun deck...
..............so in the next few minutes after eating my green salid which if I was not looking...that racoon would just love to eat  ;D..........I'm going to screw back that top piece of siding & also put a small piece of plywood. (to reinforce). This racoon may be stubborn like beavers keeping their dam put in a location >:(  

Ironically this am at 5:30 "tons" of crows were making so so much NOISE in a big tree a house away...went out & pretended to throw rocks ..& the birds flew away...BUT there was that racoon on the grass by the fence...& it went under our other shed that is off the ground by 8 inches or so. Guess those crows were going crazy because they seen this racoon walking about. (raccoons do climb trees & possibly can kill baby crows  ???)
Pepper spray "good idea too." Being an animal lover though I do not want to harm the thing....but just want it out of the shed.
But if those crows are going to RAISE HELL every am this racoon just has to go PERIOD. :o :o :o

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:09:16 PM by A-BOATER »

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »

JAway think ya have a good idea. Possibly SPCA will lend out a trip door trap...bait the racoon with some food...then just go let the thing loose over by say the south end of #5 RD & River R on the main arm of the Fraser R. There is alot of bush in that area.

Did the patch out job last night in the dark ...as that's when the racoon was out of the shed.
Just checked a minute ago...& the "thing" went & pulled off the very top piece of siding near the shed roof JUST ABOVE where I screwed on a piece of plywood to cover the other hole.

(Richmond now picks up people's grass cuttings as well as left over vegs...potatoe peals etc...left-overs SO possibly during the week before pick-up a few cans are being knocked over by racoons & they are having a feast.....if so the racoon pop. is going to increase big time here in Richmond.)
The racoon likes that area as it can drop down to that shed location off a sun deck...
..............so in the next few minutes after eating my green salid which if I was not looking...that racoon would just love to eat  ;D..........I'm going to screw back that top piece of siding & also put a small piece of plywood. (to reinforce). This racoon may be stubborn like beavers keeping their dam put in a location >:(  

Ironically this am at 5:30 "tons" of crows were making so so much NOISE in a big tree a house away...went out & pretended to throw rocks ..& the birds flew away...BUT there was that racoon on the grass by the fence...& it went under our other shed that is off the ground by 8 inches or so. Guess those crows were going crazy because they seen this racoon walking about. (raccoons do climb trees & possibly can kill baby crows  ???)
Pepper spray "good idea too." Being an animal lover though I do not want to harm the thing....but just want it out of the shed.
But if those crows are going to RAISE HELL every am this racoon just has to go PERIOD. :o :o :o

I was just thinking about how this could be a fairly effective civic project - you can rent a trap for ___/day, have a deposit that is not returned should you return the trap dirty, etc...idk maybe I'm crazy but isn't this a better solution to this problem?
- John A.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »

I had one make a nest in my shed this year (she opened up the smaller hole a squirrel had been using for access).  I place a stereo in there and blared heavy metal for a couple of hours and she split.  Unfortunately, she left the young behind in the nest in the wall, which I bundled up in a camping dishpan and left outside for her to return...but an owl got to them first. :'(
Not all those who wander are lost

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »

Raccoons may look cute but they're a nuisance.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »

On the other end of the of the harshness spectrum if they get in my friend's neighbour's chicken hutch on Gabriola she traps one, drowns it in the ocean cuts its tail off and pins it to the coop. Harsh but probably effective lol.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:15:12 PM »

Yah there in your hood for good. Unless you imploy a pretty harsh deterance. Again I recommend reading up on recipe racoon ala fresco. Or get some PETA people to do a rescue. Racoon is just a land based seal to me though.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »

Well this afternoon I openned the door of the shed & banged around abit with a lonp pipe (vacuum pipe)....well nothing poked it's head from all the tires...boxes etc...(like in the past) so 99% concluded it was not in the shed...so got some more small sizes of plywood & with a drill screwed in 3 extra pieces in the general area of my patch up job from the night before.
I then look in the shed right after & who do I see at the back of the shed ...the racoon. Guess the banging of the vacuum pipe did not arouse enough but the sound of a drill & the extra closing of the escape holes did.
So just left the door open & went to watch the Canacks game.
Afterwords checked in the shed with a flashlight & got quite far back & did not see a thing...thus locked the shed door.

But this shed has so much stuff...tires boxes old bikes 2 old non working floor machines old janitor buckets ...plus on one side of the shed I made 2 big shelves out of plywood sheets & it's packed with boxes...thus in all that debris...that racoon has lots of places to hide.
Basically 3 large areas where the shelves are & near the back where I piled a bunch of stuff.

Going in there & creeping slowly back & looking is much like that 1st movie ALIEN where the spacemen & lady went looking for that ALIEN BABY in the space ship (after it burst out of the guy's chest during the meal... ;D)
Ya just have a feeling this thing could be just lurking & as ya get close the thing will spring at ya & bite your leg or neck  :o :o :o

Got a kick out that reply to play HEAVY METAL MUSIC....yep not surprized that would work....I think it would also make not only a racoon to run but for a terrorist to "spill the beans"....never mind water boarding to get info.... ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:36:08 PM by A-BOATER »

anorden

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:10:04 PM »

What about a live trap??  Trap it, set it loose somewhere else?

John

Be careful on that one. There is a law that you cannot release any live trapped animals more than 400m from where you catch it (and a lot of the pest controllers follow the rule and dont bother getting the permit to release it further away so the critters just come back again).

I spoke to the MOE guy in Surrey about it and he said you can trap it then drive it out of the city limits and put a .22 in the back of hits head (ie dont release it). Several people on hunting bc seem to think this is illegal as well though.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »

So basically you have at least one meal in the shed. I would start feeding the coon bread and veggies to get the gamey taste out from it. Probably a few weeks. Run a pipe from your vehicle into the closed shed to humanely put dinner down.   Then get the chef apron out.

Option #1

Dolly's Delicious 'Coon from Sylvia's Family Soul Food Cookbook

1 5-lb raccoon
3 large onions
1/4 lb fatback
2 tbs red pepper flakes
1 tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp Accent (optional)
2 cups chopped onion

You simmer the raccoon for 6 HOURS! before baking it for another hour.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option#2

Coon Meal In A Bag
Sent in by Charlie Barrett. 

~ 1 cleaned raccoon
~ 8 medium Irish(red) potatoes, peeled and cubed
~ 3 lb bag baby carrots
~ 2 large onions, sliced into 1/2" slices
~ 4 bell peppers, diced
~ 4 medium turnips, quartered
~ 1 can cream of mushroom soup
~ 1 1/2 cups water
~ 2 oz Morton's Natures Seasoning
~ 1 large baking bag, turkey size
~ electric roasting oven with liner 

Place coon in the baking bag. Add the potatoes, carrots, onions, peppers and turnips.

Mix the soup and water together in a bowl. Add to bag.

Sprinkle on the Morton's seasoning evenly as possible.

Seal bag.

Put 1 gallon of water in the roaster to make a water bath.

Place the bag in the liner and place in roaster.

Cook for 6 - 8 hours at 250 degrees.

Serve and enjoy.

* You can cook this in the oven if you don't have a roaster. Adjust cooking time as needed. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only will you get a meal youwill have a nice Daniel Boone style hat