Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, June 9th 2011  (Read 2219 times)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Capilano River, June 9th 2011
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »

Well just got back from a fairly unproductive endeavour at catching some Cap coho. Fished in the canyon as usual and the water was at a very nice fishy looking 4 ft. level. With high tide at 12:30 PM I thought arriving an hour early would work out just fine. But I didn't get my first bite until 2:30 and missed the little maggaffer and then missed another bite at 3 PM, hmmm. Time to sharpen the hook.

At 3:45 I saw a couple making their way through the pool as they both decided to tease me a bit by jumping but try as I might I couldn't get them to bite my roe. Shortly after 4 my buddy Norm showed up and we both fished and chatted for the next 3 hours and didn't see or feel a fish. So, all in all it was a very nice relaxing day out but as far as coho not much to show for it.

There are a couple coming through but I think we've still got a week or more before its consistently coho catching time. Good Luck and Good Fishing Everyone !!!!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »

I was out on Thursday evening and didn't even see a riser, the day wasant a total waste as a beaver on the other side of the river put on a entertaining show of swimming up and down the rapids. I didnt know the cap had beavers.
[

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »

A beaver?   
Low, mid or upper river?

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »

A beaver in Cap? That is something new.
Where I fish for trout at a lake around work, there is this beaver that cruise around the lake and slaps it's tail on the water right in front of you, scattering all the trout in the process. For some reason that beaver does not like fisherman. Hope the one at the Cap does not have a similar attitude.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »

Its actually a large river otter that has been there since december, I've witnessed it track down and eat both steelhead and coho. If you see it, best bet is to leave.
Fish killer 101

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »

It was definitely a beaver youngun, i saw it fully out of the water as it put on a grooming show for about 10 mins very funny looking i might add haha. He definitely did not fear humans as he swam across the pool very close to me a few times to check out whats going on. He was also very fat so that might explain the lack of coho :P
[

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »

It was definitely a beaver youngun, i saw it fully out of the water as it put on a grooming show for about 10 mins very funny looking i might add haha. He definitely did not fear humans as he swam across the pool very close to me a few times to check out whats going on. He was also very fat so that might explain the lack of coho :P

Beavers are herbivores.  Otters, on the other hand, are predators
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:17:40 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:02 AM »

I think this is the second fish eating beaver I have heard about on FWR  :o

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »

Beavers are herbivores. 

If beavers are herbivores, as you say, then how come so many of them smell like fish?!?

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »

If beavers are herbivores, as you say, then how come so many of them smell like fish?!?
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFm6V_-bxZ4
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 12:48:33 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »

Lame:)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »

Why do fish smell like fish?

Edit * I didn't get it

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »

Its actually a large river otter that has been there since december, I've witnessed it track down and eat both steelhead and coho. If you see it, best bet is to leave.
Agree must have been that Otter, the same one followed me in March(or was just also searching for the elusive steel), it popped up in front of me in three different pools in short period, not saying it's impossible but have never seen a beaver or any beaver sign in the Cap. BTW there is also a fat grey mottled rubberneck in the canyon scarfing down the hoes which might have something to do with slow fishing reports.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »

Dont we all just need to get out and catch some fish. I didnt realize this was gona turn into a beaver trolling thing. As for the people that dont believe it was a beaver next time i shall take a picture.
[