Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sheridan Lake, July 1st - 3rd 2011  (Read 3328 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Sheridan Lake, July 1st - 3rd 2011
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:15:09 AM »

"Black day in July" was doing the brainworm thing and my rod and line were doing nothing. Went there and joined 8 other people for a great time even though only 1 fish was caught by the most persistant of the group. Must be the weather or something but I can't believe that even trolling the pots and pans didn't get any action. I believe I did get one short lived hit, I'm not sure though. First time fishing that lake but probably not the last.

Looking out at the source of frustration:

I had brought my birchbark up there to leave at the property for some fishing in August and was eager to try one of the local lakes near there.

Hour and a half fishing I caught 4 kept one and lost another nice sized Koke

Which ended up like this
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Sheridan Lake, July 1st - 3rd 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:25:54 AM »

Don't feel bad as "Th Master" was up there a few days ago and also found the fishing tough.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 09:34:16 PM »

Wow! That’s a nice koke, what are the measurements or approximate weight.
I've never caught one over  12 ½ “

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »

That one would be over 3 lbs. I would hope that places like Okanogan lake rebound with some nice sized ones as they are a pretty fish. I like them, they like me.

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:20:07 PM »

hey I know that property, Say hi to Ron for me...... My property is right aross the lake..

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:39:09 PM »

I will  :) That was Ron constantly singing black day in July that brought us bad luck.

Nucks

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 04:02:56 PM »

What the heck is the white stuff all over the fish? Never seen anything like that before.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »

What the heck is the white stuff all over the fish? Never seen anything like that before.

Mayo?
- John A.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 05:32:59 PM »

"What the heck is the white stuff all over the fish?"

Yikes what is that white stuff all over the fish I ate.

It might be Mayo though. Try it sometime. A commercial fisherman I knew did all his Sockeye like that and I sometimes do too.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »

I like to mix up sour cream,dry onion soup mix,dill,lemon juice, and whatever and then spread over the fillet like that.
Cant wait for my first Sockeye of the season for this recipe.
Usually about 2/3ds of the med tub of sour cream and i like the Knorrs soup mix.

Mix it up and let sit for a few hours is best.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:19:26 AM by firstlight »

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »

Has anyone been up in the Sheridan area of late , and what it has been like right now . I am planning to go up this weekend north of Sheridan up the back roads . Any input would be appreciated  :) .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-7_metric_e.html

Bring a tarp :) I'm going up on Sunday if it looks OK.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

Thanks troutbreath , we are probably going to hit up Bowers Lake , Needa , and a few smaller puddles on the way . Lots of deet on board as those little pesky mosquito's will be in full force waiting for us . I have not been up there for ten years . It will be a blast me thinks .  ;D

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »

Just got back from the Fishing highway 24, Sheridan , Bridge Lakes . However we didn't fish those 2 lakes as we were told the fishing had been slow . So we headed into the back roads up to Jim Creek Rec. Site . The site is close to Needa and Summit Lakes as well as French and Bowers . I could mention more within the immediate location but we didn't have time to do them all . After a long drive and getting the tents and tarps set up on the Saturday July 30th it was getting late so we decided to get a fire going and fish Jim Creek as we were camped right beside it . Hab a blast with some small rainbow hitting tiny caddis flys . The next morning we blew up the belly boat and drove to Summit Lake of of Windy Mountain Forestry road . We soon arrive and dawn the gear and head in to this little gem Summit . Things were slow at this lake and with trying a number of fly patterns I started getting them to take on the green wolly bugger . We fished for a few hours caught 5 fish . The fish in this lake are almost as copper color as is the water . We headed back to camp for some chow and finish off with Jim Creek producing a half dozen little guy's to finish off a great day . The next day we hooked the boat up and took off to Needa Lake and did some trolling with gang troll ,  willowleaf with a green wedding bands with a dew worm . We did well with the hardware catching alot of trout . Most of witch were in there spawning colors still . Tons of fish jumping everywhere . We did not bring the fly gear to this lake and wished we did . The fish on the sounder were down deep earlier in the day then they all came to the surface later in the evening starting around 7:30 . Last lake we had time to do was Fawn Lake . Lots of beauty chrome fish jumping everwhere . Lots of boats out . I had a couple tugs but that was about it . Did  see a few caught . The one fella came out for an hour in his pontoon hit into 5 fish and went in  :( :D . That was it  for this year . I will be sure to be back up next year , maybe a little earlier in the year though . Anyway here is a few pics , nothing much . :P ...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:03:35 PM by armytruck »