Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cape Scott Provincal Park, July 8th - 13th 2011  (Read 1223 times)

mykisscrazy

Cape Scott Provincal Park, July 8th - 13th 2011
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »

Hiked into Cape Scott last week and camped at Eric Lake then hiked over to Nelson Bight and set up camp for a few days
Fishing for Cutties in Eric Lake was fantastic, don't think it receives much pressure as most people hiking in do not fish.
Also fished off the rocks. Caught a few Black Bass but it was actually tough fishing as there is a ton of kelp.
Talked with the lighthouse keeper at Cape Scott and he did say there is some pretty good ling cod fishing from shore in around Guise Bay
Unfortunately I just did not have the time.
Gives me a reason to go back!
Next time I will also bring my 4 wt for Eric Lake it is a little more sporting than a 10 foot buzz bomb rod!
It is an absolutely spectacular place. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes hiking and camping.
One thing that really impressed me was that everyone practiced no trace camping.
It was so nice not to see garbage everywhere, including cigarette butts.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Cape Scott Provincal Park, July 8th - 13th 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »

Even the little creeks I passed going through there had fish in them. Have to go back myself as it's been almost 20 years.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dogbreath

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:40 PM »

Caught a few Black Bass but it was actually tough fishing as there is a ton of kelp.
Yes a boat or even a float tube makes for much easier access all along the outer coast.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 03:34:58 PM »

I have been there as well and it is one of my favourite hikes. As for the fishing, we caught some great rock cod off of the point which we boiled in a miso soup. Also fished a couple of creeks and remember hooking into a few but this was a long time ago )+25 years ago!)
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »

I was in there quite a few years ago in early July and the Fisherman River was full of what I assumed were Coho fry.  I often wondered if it would be worth the hike.