Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ucluelet, July 2011: ON FIRE!  (Read 3513 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Ucluelet, July 2011: ON FIRE!
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »

In one word: INSANE!!

The Fishing has been out of this world GREAT over the past week! Incredible numbers and the springs this year are as Feisty as they get!
Most behave like coho, with many many airborne leaps and blistering runs! Doesn't get any better!
And the hali's are still on line too!

A few pix of the recent days:

Gotta LOVE getting the Young Guns into their First!!

Several that is!!

This Gal certainly Loved her First!!

And Second!

More to come...

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
Re: Ucluelet, July 2011: ON FIRE!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 06:47:40 PM »

Even the Experienced Hands are having a BLAST with this kind of Action!!

Another First!!

Salmon Seekers in Heaven!!

Yesterday the water was FLAT as a pool table, and the fishing was literally Incredible!
Here's the Lucky Bunch that wandered out for Full Limits of springs (done by 8 AM!!), hali's and a nice side dish of Snappers!

As you can see, the time is NOW to get out there! And as Great as it is, it is getting even BETTER each passing day!   ;D
My Dance Card is almost full up, but we just dropped another Rolls Royce Grady into The Pond with a VERY Fun and Experienced hand to Skip her!
Give us a call, you are Certain to have one of the Best Times you will ever see on the water!!

Cheers,
Nog

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »

Congratulations on what appears to be great business venture Nog :).  I notice wild and hatchery fish - any idea what stocks you are fishing? is DNA sampling being done? and I'm curious about the redness around the vent area on some of the fish - any theories?

Great pics and thanks for sharing!!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:40:51 PM »

they look like columbia river fish,fat and stubby.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »

The fish we are currently working on are a mix. Mostly US origin (of course, our "management" effort SUCKS Royally in comparison!!) with a few summer Fraser fish. This information comes from both DNA sampling and tag recoveries, both are ongoing.

The redness on the vents is due to two things. One, as they get closer to the spawn (ripeness) that naturally occurs in many stocks. Two: sea lice.

Chunky HARD Fighting fish, they act as if they are steroids this year! incredible surface action for springs!!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »

'Grats Nog, looking great!  I had a customer venture up to Ucluelet, and he and his fam' limited out every day!!  Thankfully, it was on the rods, reels and tackle I'd sold him  ;D ;D

J
- John A.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »

Just got off the phone with a couple of the North Island Ladz. They confirmed there is a very very good showing of Large Springs off Nootka right now, slowly idling their way directly towards us!! In a mere matter of days, the largest fish of the season will EXPLODE onto the scene, and we can expect them to hang about for up to four weeks plus!!  ;D

Hard to believe it can get any better, but that is Exactly what is about to happen!!  :D

Don't miss out on Your opportunity to get in on The Best season Yet!!  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »

Wuz out over the past weekend on a friends boat - Friday and Saturday were great fishing days as well as was the weather - my missus pulled in her first two Springs ever (18 and a 21 - both red) - me thinks she's 'hooked'  :D  I brought in three respectable (high teens low 20s) and a honking 32+ pig that gave us all a thrill of a ride on the boat.  ;D Came in just short of the biggest of the day for the derby.  The majority of springs that we caught were reds.

Coho coming in as well.  We landed several on Sunday and kept two beautiful hatcherys.  Already looking forward to mid August.

Nog - saw your boats yesterday - they look impressive on the waters.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »

Nog - saw your boats yesterday - they look impressive on the waters.

Thanks Dave, they are Sweethearts to run!!

Been a spell since I had any time to post here, the fishing is so Great I have a damn tough time pulling myself away from it!!
Yup, fishing continues to be out of this world! Several mornings we have seen the gear in the water for a little better than an Hour to Limit the Boats!
The cold water and presence of massive pilchard schools have the springs right wound up! They are as FEISTY as I've ever seen them, and a great many are spending so much time airborne you would swear they are over-sized coho!! All indications are that as soon as one big wave of fish wanders south from our area, another simply rolls right in! And the Reports from the North Island let us know that is going to be happening for a rather long time this year! SWEET!
And, much of the fishing has been right close, as these fish, like last year, are showing a strong tendency to stick to the beach!

The Halibut continue to be a strong presence, and we have seen a general increase in the catch sizes the past few trips out!

All in all making for a Whole World of FUN!!!

A few recent pictures to share...

One of the One Hour shows:

One of the Many Many Double Headers of late:

A Fine Halibut Run!

My Halibut Wrecking Crew!

Slab Fest!

More to come...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:36:54 PM by IronNoggin »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »

These six Gents came to Ukee to see one of their Crew married off, heard about the fishing, and came along for a couple hours in the afternoon. They certainly were not disappointed!!

One Happy Groom!!

And we are indeed seeing a few real Hawgs out there! Here's a couple of Right Happy Gals because of that!!

I mean REAL Hawgs!

So as noted, methinks this is indeed turning into one of our BEST Seasons EVER! Loads of Hungry and Feisty Fish abound, and the West Coast is Truly [color="#0000FF"]WILD[/color] with activity!

Still have a few prime spots open, but we've been having a LOT of interest! Best be thinking about making that call if you want to get into some of the most FUN you can have with your cloths on!!   :D

Just off The Pond again, and right back out again in the am. With this many fish around, I wouldn't have it ANY other way!!

Catch ya'll as I can...

Cheers,
Nog

Dogbreath

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 08:41:44 PM »

Overall quite a successful trip.

Some pics from July 28 & 29 with Spirit Bear Charters

Weapon of Salmon destruction

One of so many

Happy angler!

Gorgeous colours!

This was my fish-the scrapes you can see came from a  Shark who tried and failed to snatch the fish as I was fighting it.

Local denizen

Waiting on a Hali bite

Good Night Nurse!

Lotsa Butts!

Self explanatory

This is how you spell success!

One of the nicest WCVI days in recent memory

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »

Awesome pictures of a rather Fine day! Very much enjoyed the day out with you and your crew DogBreath!! Welcome back ANY TIME!!

The Fishing out of Ukee continues to be as Great as any Angler could hope for!
Loads of Hungry Halibut abound, and we are indeed seeing many that are larger than "normal" for our area this year!
The Springs are fighting EXTREMELY well, with most displaying incredible aerial action that rivals the best performances of those nutbar coho!!

And the weather has cooperated to an amazing degree! Flat Seas, Hungry & Feisty Fish, what more could anyone ask for??

Here's a shot of a Buddy working right next to me just a couple of days ago:

And my Crew's Grins over their Catch of that day!

I had a Wonderful German couple out just yesterday, Fine Folks who had never even caught a salmon before. The bite was a tad slow in coming, but when it did, this Lady got to do battle with not only her first, but a fine Tyee to boot!!

Think this Gal was Pumped?

So pumped in fact they cancelled their trip to Cuba next summer to once again come along and Play on the Wild West Coast!!

Life on the Big Pond simply doesn't get any better!! We head out each and every morning full of Anticipation of what the day will bring, and The Mistress Pacific has been very much been smiling in our direction!!

Incredible Season thus far folks, and certainly bound to get even Better as the Big Hawgs roll in from Points North. If you are considering a return to find out what the fuss is all about, or contemplating your your first run to our teeming waters, I would strongly suggest you get in on this Most Amazing Year!!

We have but a few prime spots left now, the word has spread, and the phones are ringing constantly! Should you want in on the Best our waters can offer, I urge you to call today before the Dance Cards are completely filled up!!

Hope to see a few of you out there having the Time Of Your Lives!! I know I certainly am!!

Cheers,
Nog

Dogbreath

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 10:12:45 PM »

Here's a closeup of the bite on the small Spring that was almost lost to some kind of Shark.

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »

that looks like a striped bass  :D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »

The Biggies have rolled in!! Yesterday was absolutely INCREDIBLE Fantastic Clients that really knew their stuff on the rods, and fish so cooperative it was completely Silly! Dropped the gear, and in less than five minutes a Tyee was airborne out behind the Rolls Royce Rig, with a plug firmly imbedded in it's yap! Sweet! Leap after leap, again acting like some sort of super-sized coho, that battle was INTENSE! But The Lady persevered, and the Biggie made a mistake boat-side, sliding right into the net!!

Great Start!!

Dropped the gear swiftly, and wouldn't you know it! FISH ON! Not quite as big as the first, but a FINE battle, again with lots of air time!! Methinks this Gentleman's GRIN says it ALL!

As the morning wore on, the fish increased their appetite, and we engaged Spirited Battle after Battle! Awesome!
Recognizing that the fishing grounds were living up well to their reputation, we released fish after fish looking for a few Large! And that effort was indeed rewarded! Halfway through the morning, another silver bullet rocketed into the air and we all instantly knew we had another Tyee on the line!!

YEEEEEEHAW!
Could those Grins possibly get any BIGGER!?

And moments later, YET ANOTHER!! Incredible!!!

Now Tubbed Out, we stayed to PLAY!!! And the fish just kept pounding on the big plugs over and over and over again!! One of the most EXCELLENT Days on the water in Memory!!

More to come!