Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Comox, weekend of July 30  (Read 2252 times)

Jerry

Comox, weekend of July 30
« on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »

Hey folks,

I'm heading up to Comox for the weekend to spend some time with my girlfriend's folks, and I thought I'd see if ya'll had any ideas as to what's good right now.  Especially since I've never been up on that part of the island, any advice would be appreciated.

I won't have a boat, but that's really the only restriction.  Rivers, lakes, shore, I'd be up for nearly anything really. 

Does anyone know if the pinks are up around there yet?

thanks

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: Comox, weekend of July 30
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 06:01:28 PM »

Hi Jerry,
Pinks are arriving up the coast there now, call into Gone Fishin' in Courtenay or the Nile Creek Fly shop on the way up if your a fly fisher they'll be able to help you out.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »

Hey, its pretty nice up that way. It depends what your into but there should be pinks in the quinsaam, campbell, puntledgel, you could also shore cast in the ocean for pinks that are waiting to enter rivers. I would suggest making a day out of it and driving from Comox, to Gold River. Its about an hour and a half from comox out on Nootka sound. You take a drive through Strathcona park, which features some of the islands most beautiful views. Gold River is a small town but its beautiful and the fishing is good. The summer run steelhead are in right now, You can fish the lower Heber River where it enters the Gold. A few weeks ago the steelhead where still holding a bit lower in the river in the canyon section but its really nice and all wild fish. Call nile creek in bowser and he might be able to help you out a bit with getting to spots on the river for which ever one you decide.

good luck and have fun

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »

I'm up in that neck of the woods right now.  I just drove from Campbell River to McIvor Lake and there must have be 30 cars along the river in that short stretch.

I stopped and saw guys float fishing.  I guess for Coho?  I thought they would be spinning for Pinks.  Dunno, only watched for 5 mins and didn't see anything hooked/landed.

I'm gonna head down there tomorrow morning, but no idea what i'm going for nor where to start. lol

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:40:38 PM »

I'm up in that neck of the woods right now.  I just drove from Campbell River to McIvor Lake and there must have be 30 cars along the river in that short stretch.

I stopped and saw guys float fishing.  I guess for Coho?  I thought they would be spinning for Pinks.  Dunno, only watched for 5 mins and didn't see anything hooked/landed.

I'm gonna head down there tomorrow morning, but no idea what i'm going for nor where to start. lol

They are float fishing for pinks.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to sneak off and get some fishing in.