Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on Chilliwack River fishing in August  (Read 5243 times)

ja

Question on Chilliwack River fishing in August
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »

I've been reading some messages here about Chinooks being caught in the Chilliwack the last few days.  Is this the very early part of the main run that comes in September/October?  Is it a different run?  Even more important, how are the number of fish in the system in the beginning of August?  Is it hit or miss, or a decent chance of catching something?  I'm somewhat puzzled but also intrigued.  If anyone can help me understand that it'd be great, so I can figure out whether to use one of my limited days to make the trip from Vancouver.  Thanks in advance.

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Question on Chilliwack River fishing in August
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »

the red chinook run is not very big anymore and starts to tail off by august, the white chinooks dont arrive till middle of sept, so chances are not to good now and the river is still quite high.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:38:43 PM »

I've been reading some messages here about Chinooks being caught in the Chilliwack the last few days.  Is this the very early part of the main run that comes in September/October?  Is it a different run?  Even more important, how are the number of fish in the system in the beginning of August?  Is it hit or miss, or a decent chance of catching something?  I'm somewhat puzzled but also intrigued.  If anyone can help me understand that it'd be great, so I can figure out whether to use one of my limited days to make the trip from Vancouver.  Thanks in advance.

They are two different runs. The summer red chinook salmon run typically starts in early July and tapers off by early August. This year may be an exception due to the higher water level. It seems like fishing is not too bad at the moment. Overall, it is a much smaller run compared to the fall white chinook salmon run, and it is definitely a hit and miss fishery if you do not know where to go with limited fishing time. Personally, I prefer to save the days until fall when both chinook and coho salmon are in the system at the same time.

There are also sockeye salmon in the system right now with chinook salmon. These sockeye salmon are Chilliwack Lake bound, fun to catch but must be released as there are no retentions for these fish.

hamster

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »

Clarification - I beleive the sockeye in chilliwack are catch and release only, but the sockeye in the fraser are available for retention, do I have this correct?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »

Clarification - I beleive the sockeye in chilliwack are catch and release only, but the sockeye in the fraser are available for retention, do I have this correct?

Fraser is not yet open for retention of Sockeye, so it is C&R on both flows.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:12:46 PM »

Sandman is correct. For updated salmon retention quotas in rivers of Region 2, you should always check this page:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

jacked55

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »

How do you guys know what runs are in the rivers? I mean red runs this time and white runs that time. The fisheries info i have been looking at is not that specific. It would be interesting to know what types of runs are going through at what times.
Thanks.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 10:23:16 PM »

Went out today...absolutely nothing.  I have not been skunked on the Vedder in YEARS  >:(

Next weekend, the Similkameen better gimme a lil of her goodness!
- John A.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »

How do you guys know what runs are in the rivers? I mean red runs this time and white runs that time. The fisheries info i have been looking at is not that specific. It would be interesting to know what types of runs are going through at what times.
Thanks.

That information can usually be obtained from more experienced anglers, at least that's how I learned it. Other options include talking to the Chilliwack River Hatchery staff for first hand information, or join the Fraser Valley Salmon Society which has members who can share information, etc. On this website, we try to make the information as precise and transparent as possible so newcomers have an idea what to do look for when heading out there for the first time.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »

Went out today...absolutely nothing.  I have not been skunked on the Vedder in YEARS  >:(

Next weekend, the Similkameen better gimme a lil of her goodness!

I was in the upper river area yesterday and hooked 2 Socks (gently released) and saw a guy next to me catching a colored spring on roe (which he released too). The end of the red springs run seems to be close but with the high water levels you may still get into some fish.

doja

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 10:53:52 PM »

Thanks.

Get in with a good local fishing shop (buy stuff from a good store and make friends) and they will help you out with local info as well. Not a whole lot in surrey besides M&Y, and my favorite is Riverside Fly and Tackle in poco. Some are not as good as others I've found for info and don't go when it is busy!

You can also check out the archives for this site to see whats going on at times, report wise.

ja

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »

Thanks guys....understand know.  I think I'll wait till the september chinnook and coho run starts up.   In the meantime, there will be pink fishing closer to Vancouver  ;D

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 09:45:01 AM »

was out yesterday am, saw a few springs hooked in the lower river area at first light..almost had a sticky situation phew it was easy to fix. couldn't believe the amount of guys  so we moved quickly up river.  i briefly got into a  sockeye above the crossing,  long line release.to that pesky white fish that couldn't resist my offerings near the prison.  I'm sorry. none the less it was good day on the flow. cant wait for next time.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »

was out yesterday am, saw a few springs hooked in the lower river area at first light..almost had a sticky situation phew it was easy to fix. couldn't believe the amount of guys  so we moved quickly up river.  i briefly got into a  sockeye above the crossing,  long line release.to that pesky white fish that couldn't resist my offerings near the prison.  I'm sorry. none the less it was good day on the flow. cant wait for next time.

Joey, I was out yesterday with the old man...sounds like we hit the same holes in the opposite order, bro

I was hitting lots of socks near the prison, before the rafters came along...lost a drennan float and a sockeye beneath it...the leader in the kayak thought it was funny.  Not impressed.  Went to the crossing, WAY too many people, none of whom knew what they were doing.  Three guys squeezed into maybe 30' of river beside me, all fishing with corn.  Yes, corn. 

Went lower, around Yarrow...nothing besides guys in beaters in lawn chairs.  Put a hole in the waders, too, so now they're breathable and "self cleaning"  :-\

J
- John A.

coho65

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 12:05:56 PM »

still lots of springs kickin around but there gettin dark.have had some decent fishing though.havent seen nobody using corn but plenty of noobs though!!!!!!noticed usin a little more lead and gettin down has helped hook some fish.my theory is if i dont lose a little tackle my hook isnt were the springs are.