Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PINKS  (Read 10647 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: PINKS
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »

there is no bad technique with getting a person started salmon fishing when it comes to pinks, sockeye most definately but not pinks  ::) we use every technique instead of BBing to catch pinks because they are super aggressive and love to chase basically anything that crosses their path

HOOK - loves pinks years !!!!  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

adecadelost

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »

there is no bad technique with getting a person started salmon fishing when it comes to pinks, sockeye most definately but not pinks  ::) we use every technique instead of BBing to catch pinks because they are super aggressive and love to chase basically anything that crosses their path

HOOK - loves pinks years !!!!  ;D

I agree pinks are a great way to start, cause they will chase down anything, but there are still some pretty scary techniques out there.  The past couple of pink years I've noticed some terrible things.  Usually once fish get stacked up (and we all know how thick they can get in some systems) we start seeing so many foul hooked.  It's learning when to set the hook on a bump or on a real take and being able to identify the difference.  It's not just reel, reel, reel, then SLAM the rod tip up.
It's also a great opportunity for newbee's to learn how to land and handle fish.  Yes I know most are going to be caught for meat, but it's a great opportunity for people to learn how to tail a fish and not just drag it up over the rocks. 

Steelie1030

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »

Good post Adecaelost..my sentiments exactly..although I usually take under my wing a few youngsters every pink year. I enjoy seeing someone who never has any luck actually catch a few fish (pinks). They are very grateful and they are very open to learning about id'ing species, releasing fish and river etiquette. I think it makes them better anglers for the future. However, I did enjoy reading your post.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »

The past couple of pink years I've noticed some terrible things.  Usually once fish get stacked up (and we all know how thick they can get in some systems) we start seeing so many foul hooked.

This was indeed a big problem in the Chilliwack River system two years ago when they stacked up in huge numbers. Managers and enforcement officers did not anticipated the type of fishing pressure generated as a result and there were many issues (unknowingly foul hooking fish, intentionally snagging fish, high grading, general bad etiquettes etc). We had a long discussion at the Sport Fishing Advisory Committee after that, came up with a few adjustments but no real solutions at the time. This fishery attracts lots of newcomers who are not familiar how fishing should be done, but many are willing to learn, so it's up to experienced anglers to have a bit of patience and provide some pointers when needed to make things better.

There's also a need for more presence of enforcement on the C-V system during September and October. It's harder to find as they are very busy protecting the Fraser River resource (September, endangered interior steelhead and coho run time, confiscating illegal nets). The strong return of pinks often devalues them in some "experienced" anglers' eyes, like what we had to watch a couple of years ago during this trip:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2009/10/06/vedder-a-love-and-hate-relationship/

On the more positive note, the tidal portion of the Fraser, where fish are constantly on the move, have little to no problems when it comes to fishing etiquettes and regulation compliance. Fish are moving with the tide, so foul hooking is difficult unless you really try to snag them. There isn't a need for that of course because they're already so easy to catch by simply casting and retrieving a lure properly. Two years ago, we chatted with one DFO officers who had just finished checking a long line of anglers (perhaps a few hundred?) and there wasn't a single violation. It's truly a positive environment and that's why I prefer to fish for them in the tidal portion (Richmond) and make more effort to keep things the way it is by education.

fishgutz1

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »

I agree with you Steelie, Great post's Adecadelost! I personally don't have as much searching time as I once did, I was only hoping to find out if anyone had run into any pinks. That way I can start finding the time to hit the few spots I've already picked out.

Thanks for everyones honesty, It's refreshing!

Juiceboxluver

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »

Heres N old video I found on youtube Pink fishing at the Peg Leg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tc6ywqoL6o

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »

hahahhaha, not far off.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 06:03:24 PM »

Well, another "I've got a secret" guy.

I'm not about to drive to North Van to chase pinks, I already have a great spot.
Just wanted to know the general area to see if it's close.

I've been checking every day this week.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »

I'm not about to drive to North Van to chase pinks, I already have a great spot.

be patient they will come

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 09:00:57 PM »

Can you give me a general idea of the area where you have seen them?

The Howe Sound Pinks usually appear sooner (I got one last weekend).  If you are not willing to drive to North Van (or beyond), then just be patient.  The Fraser pinks will be here soon.
Not all those who wander are lost

therise

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:07 PM »

Has anyone had any reports or sightings off West Van or up towards Cates park?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »

Has anyone had any reports or sightings off West Van or up towards Cates park?

There was a a couple of days ago report by Cutthroat that he got one off West Van.
Not all those who wander are lost

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »

Nothing happening at the Seymour.

MIKE1

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »

Buddy and I were crusing on his boat in lower fraser in Richmond and Delta areas, boy LOTS of Native fisherman and a really surprising amount of Sockeyes rolling around and jumping.

On native fisherman was leaving a beach as we were beaching and I asked if he had seen many pinks, he said that there a few popping up but if we were to be shore fishing very low chance of getting one until at least another week at least.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »

tried Cates this morning for an hour ...no luck no visible signs of fish