Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, August 4th 2011: The Master Strikes Again  (Read 2301 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, August 4th 2011: The Master Strikes Again
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »

FVSS Vice Pres Nick was out on the Vedder today fishing with Clay, a member of this forum.  ;D ;D Part way into the trip Clay's float goes down, thinking it is a fish he sets the hook but by the action of the rod he feels it is bottom, he tries to free it but ends up breaking it off.
A few cast later "The Master" is into one and plays the fish onto the beach and decides to retain it. On closer examination he sees line protruding from the salmon's mouth. Nick and Clay then see it is Clay's gear with the hook deep into the fish's mouth.

Nick of course gives him the gears for purposly breaking of what he thought was a snag but instead was a nice fish that he now trys to claim from Nick but to no luck there. To try and make Clay feel better Nick says when the fish was hooked the weight most likely got caught in between a rock that made Clay think he had just a snag on. The verdict is still out if Nick kept Clay's hook as well.  ;D ;DThis is no fish tail either. lol

Go to the Fraser Valley Salmon Society's web page for a picture of the chinook.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:01:20 PM by chris gadsden »

deepcovehooker

Re: Chilliwack River, August 4th 2011: The Master Strikes Again
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 08:45:51 AM »

I had a similar event last year on the Stave.  Lost my leader, weight and float to a large chem.  1/2 hour later caught and released the same fish after retrieving my lost hookup.

Butch1949

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:00:09 AM »

Chris this is Priceless ;D
"I don't catch fish"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »

Chris this is Priceless ;D
Though you would lik it. ;D

grease line

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:55:17 AM »

I can't find a pic of the chinook on the page...do you have a link?

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »

It is on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society facebook page.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »

How big was it, Chris?  Must've been a solid fish for Clay to have thought it was bottom!  lol

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »

How big was it, Chris?  Must've been a solid fish for Clay to have thought it was bottom!  lol
I think about 10 pounds. Clay will have a long time living with this. ;D ;D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »

I think about 10 pounds. Clay will have a long time living with this. ;D ;D
Hahahah!!!  Classic.

Reminds me of my Dad's first steelhead.  As he tells the story, he was fishing a run on the Thompson back in the 80s, drifting gooey-bobs through a slot quite a ways out.  After about 10-15 casts, he was pretty confident he knew were the snags were, as well as where they weren't.  Suddenly, his float dipped and he thought to himself, "hmmm... shouldn't be any snags there!", so he set the hook.  The rod barely moved, and at first he thought it was bottom, so he considered breaking it off.  Fortunately he decided not to, and seconds later the fish took off... an 18 pound steelhead!

That said, if you listen to my uncle tell it (who was also there), I bet it would sound more like this: "So I'm fishing down stream from your Dad, and his float goes down so he sets the hook.  The thing doesn't move, so he begins cursing another snag and starts jerking the rod trying to break it off, when suddenly the water explodes as an 18 pound steelhead takes to the air at the end of his line!". 

LOL!
:D
Tex