Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pinks and sockeye for the rest of my summer  (Read 5346 times)

MIKE1

pinks and sockeye for the rest of my summer
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »

So Ive been lucky to connect with a 2 very early pinks in the lower fraser, I really didn't think that sockeye was going to open this year but it has.

My question is... Ive caught a sockeye at Vedder before but I have been told that I was lucky because that sockeye doing bite once they enter fresh water...

Is my chain being pullled or should I start making more roe bags....

azafai

Re: pinks and sockeye for the rest of my summer
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »

play 649
just kidding.. lol

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:31:02 PM »

My question is... Ive caught a sockeye at Vedder before but I have been told that I was lucky because that sockeye doing bite once they enter fresh water...

Well I hooked 13 fish in less than 2 hrs of fishing just over 2 weeks ago (cleanup day), fishing less than 3 feet deep in a 5 foot deep run. 2 of the fish I landed had the hook so deep it was hard to get back and/or got snipped off.

Fish pro cured prawns... not sure if they will work down there but they work like a hot damn on the vedder. Double red hot stuff. Piece about the size of your thumbnail (maybe go whole prawn in dirtier fraser water).

I've seen them bite on roe... but it isn't very often. Some bar fishing guys get them on spin n' glos and roe occasionally while spring fishing.

Cheers,
Dan

MIKE1

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:34:19 PM »

Well I hooked 13 fish in less than 2 hrs of fishing just over 2 weeks ago (cleanup day), fishing less than 3 feet deep in a 5 foot deep run. 2 of the fish I landed had the hook so deep it was hard to get back and/or got snipped off.

Fish pro cured prawns... not sure if they will work down there but they work like a hot damn on the vedder. Double red hot stuff. Piece about the size of your thumbnail (maybe go whole prawn in dirtier fraser water).

I've seen them bite on roe... but it isn't very often. Some bar fishing guys get them on spin n' glos and roe occasionally while spring fishing.

Cheers,
Dan

Perfect thanks, I was using prawns on Vedder too so I'll stick with those.

... BTW lets just avoid the inevitable comments about flossing here I'm referring to LOWER Fraser.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »

Cheers,
Dan
These sockeye your targetting are they the endangered Cultas Lake sockeye?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:07:21 PM »

Probably more likely to be the Chilliwack lake Sockeye. And I didn't read that Everyday was targeting Sockeye. My guess would be that he was looking for Springs.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »

First of all Dennis I worked with Cultus sockeye and know a fair share of info on them.
The main thing is that very few are running now, they are a late running fish, usually September. These are Chilliwack Lake fish at this time of year.

Secondly there is no rule against targeting sockeye in the Vedder.
They fight hard and are a lot of fun especially for new fishers. When springs are slow I will target them and have no problem admitting that.
They all stay in knee deep water without any damage before release. Maybe a quick picture if they are still enough (not very often, 2 outta 13 that day).
How does it make any difference when I know you (and others that may frown upon this) catch and release wild steelhead? Same thing.
People still catch and release Thompson Steelhead when they are open, I would consider them endangered. Is that any different?
Coquihalla fish? List goes on and on.

I realize you were just asking a question of what I was targeting... just trying to say I don't think there is anything wrong with targeting them properly.
Pound for pound they are the hardest fighting fish around.

Cheers,
Dan

brysonk

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 06:36:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure white surgeon are also on the endangered list    ;)

MIKE1

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »

I was targeting Red Springs but I connected with Sockeye, I am very aware that they are non retention and that run is very small and protected. That's exactly why they didn't up as dinner :(

buck

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »

Dan, you don't have to be so defensive. I was targeting chinook and caught numerous sockeye as well. Sure makes for some enjoyable fishing between chinook hookups. Last PSC sockeye update for Chilliwack Lake was about 10K. Red Chinook @ .5 % survival 2500 fish. Hatchery might get 6-7 hundred.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »

Dan, you don't have to be so defensive. I was targeting chinook and caught numerous sockeye as well. Sure makes for some enjoyable fishing between chinook hookups. Last PSC sockeye update for Chilliwack Lake was about 10K. Red Chinook @ .5 % survival 2500 fish. Hatchery might get 6-7 hundred.

Hey buck.

Sad to hear about the springs.
Only made it out once and me and my buddy got 1 in the 2 hrs we were out.
Might try this wknd again but they are probably pretty coloured up by now. Have to give er a try anyways.
Maybe the sockeye will keep me company again  ;)

Cheers,
Dan

4x4

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »

First of all Dennis I worked with Cultus sockeye and know a fair share of info on them.
The main thing is that very few are running now, they are a late running fish, usually September. These are Chilliwack Lake fish at this time of year.

Secondly there is no rule against targeting sockeye in the Vedder.
They fight hard and are a lot of fun especially for new fishers. When springs are slow I will target them and have no problem admitting that.
They all stay in knee deep water without any damage before release. Maybe a quick picture if they are still enough (not very often, 2 outta 13 that day).
How does it make any difference when I know you (and others that may frown upon this) catch and release wild steelhead? Same thing.
People still catch and release Thompson Steelhead when they are open, I would consider them endangered. Is that any different?
Coquihalla fish? List goes on and on.

I realize you were just asking a question of what I was targeting... just trying to say I don't think there is anything wrong with targeting them properly.
Pound for pound they are the hardest fighting fish around.

Cheers,
Dan

As far as I know Cultus lake Sockeye start entering the Vedder in May right up to Nov. They spawn in Nov/Dec. Cultus Lake Sockeye actually spawn in the lake and not in creeks or rivers.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 06:13:53 PM »

As far as I know Cultus lake Sockeye start entering the Vedder in May right up to Nov. They spawn in Nov/Dec. Cultus Lake Sockeye actually spawn in the lake and not in creeks or rivers.

As I said, NOT VERY MANY....
I worked on the lake seining and visited/talked up at the lab often... I learnt a tonne about the lake and what has happened over the years, etc.
The BULK of the run is in September.

It use to be strictly a late run, but hatchery introduction, weather/climate changes, etc have caused them to come earlier.
This is also a reason for their decline as there is a FW parasite in the lake, the longer they hold there, the more likely they are to catch the parasite and die from it.
I believe it attacks their gills (if it is the one I am thinking of) and is almost like the white fungus you see on chum.
The kokanee and smolts had it a lot of the time when we netted them, I'd say almost 90%.
The number of smolts and especially the larger kokanee (maybe smolts that stayed longer) all dropped rapidly over the 5 yrs of netting.
We only got maybe 100 over the whole summer last year. The guys at the lab however said the parasite doesn't kill the smolts so I don't know what is going ont here.

4x4

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »

That parasite is dependent on water temperature and level. Imo the annual NPN cull will benefit Cultus Sockeye numbers down the road. I'd like to see that cull twice a year instead of once.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 08:16:56 PM »

That parasite is dependent on water temperature and level. Imo the annual NPN cull will benefit Cultus Sockeye numbers down the road. I'd like to see that cull twice a year instead of once.

Parasite is always in the lake... just gets worse with temp and water levels.
The fish always use to get it, but weren't in the lake long enough (during normal run timing) to perish from it.

The pikeminnow cull, while it does help is not the real problem.
Besides the NPN derby is nothing compared to what we were taking out of the lake with the boat which they took off the lake this yr.
Some days we would get 1000-1200 A SET (and I have to sort through all those little buggers and cut em)  :o

The Eurasian Milfoil is the main cause of all the problems.

1) It is covering much of the once used spawning grounds.
2) Pikeminnow have ALWAYS been in the lake, the milfoil gave juveniles a place to hide from larger cannibalistic adults. Therefore adults have less food and move to other fish (cultus sockeye smolts which swim in upper water column and are easy to ambush from the milfoil below). Also now more juveniles make it to adulthood.
3) Milfoil gives cover and ambush areas for the larger pikeminnow.

Eliminate the milfoil and the lake goes back to normal... kind of, except for all the oil slicks all over the water.
They were looking at ways to introduce a weevil to take out the milfoil, but they couldn't find a native one in the lake to culture.
Just another example of how humans screw ecosystems up.

Cheers,
Dan