Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taking some newbies for local saltwater fishing. Need suggestions.  (Read 2830 times)

Parasoul

Hello, I'm taking a person and a friend, from out of town, fishing. They're newbies but I've brought them around the Lower Mainland a few weeks ago on a trip or two off a pier.

They want to try Horseshoe Bay because I mentioned to them that other people say that there are a fair amount of sole and flounder there.

I've never been there myself so I am curious where it is easily accessible to the public and not too remote for some flatfish.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be limited to Horseshoe Bay as I am curious where other people have gone before.

Thanks!

Dogbreath

Re: Taking some newbies for local saltwater fishing. Need suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »

i was on the #257 bus a while back with a bunch of Koreans from the North Shore who were going bottomfishing for Flounder/Sole somewhere but I didn't see them around Horseshoe Bay so I assumed they all caught the ferry over to Langdale.

That would make more sense since the bottom over there isn't as rocky as along the Horseshoe Bay shoreline.

Parasoul

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:41:39 PM »

Hmmm, I would like to try that some day over in Langdale. That's very tempting actually..

Had no idea Horseshoe Bay was rocky which would, of course, not bode well for flaties. Was hoping for a location with sand and mud over there for them.

Does anyone know if Dundarave Pier is closed to fishers? I heard that was the case. That used to be great for fish back when I was 15 or so.

crab

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »

Ambleside pier has some flatfish as well as LOTS of shiner perch and you can also get dogfish and greenling.  Also try Jericho beach because
I fished there a while back and all I caught were soles. (the bottom there is really sandy)

metalfisherman

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »

Dundarave Pier is no fishing.
Ambleside Pier is easy access and you can try soles.

Butch1949

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:10:17 AM »

Can anyone explain the gear set-up required for those flat fish out by ambleside and jerico please for a newbie to this type , did take my 14' with 30 horse out from Vanier Park to the Bouy Marker, was surprised how shallow out there and how flat sandy bottomed ???
"I don't catch fish"

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »

Can anyone explain the gear set-up required for those flat fish out by ambleside and jerico please for a newbie to this type , did take my 14' with 30 horse out from Vanier Park to the Bouy Marker, was surprised how shallow out there and how flat sandy bottomed ???

Sounds like the Spainsh Banks.
Not all those who wander are lost

crab

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »

You can use a spreader bar with 1-3oz sinker tied to one end and a small hook to the other, or just use a sliding egg sinker with 1ft leader and slowly troll along the bottom.
Shrimp, squid, and sea worms all work for bait but squid is probably the best since it stays on the hook really well. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »

If you decide to fish around HorseshoeBay, please make sure that you are aware of the Rockfish Conservation Area near it, where fishing is not allowed:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/rca-acs/south-sud/PassageIslandWVanChart3512-eng.htm

I believe fishing is also not permitted at Lighthouse Park under West Vancouver's by-law.

For flatfish, Sunshine Coast definitely has pretty good fishing from what I can remember due to the sandy bottom.