Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 14th 2011: Scale Bar  (Read 4316 times)

Robert_G

Non-tidal Fraser River, August 14th 2011: Scale Bar
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:16 PM »

I rarely fish the scale bar, but I haven't barbequed a red flesh salmon since a late coho I caught last fall....and I thought I'd try it out for a couple of hours this evening.
3 casts and I had my first one on the beach...5 minutes later I had 2. 10lbs and 7lbs.
Quite crowded and lots of rookies, but most were pretty good about things. Wouldn't call it a quiet wilderness trip or anything :P, but I've got salmon for the barbeque tomorrow.

kosanin kosher salt

Re: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 14th 2011: Scale Bar
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »

is it still very crowded in the pm? yah know what you mean i personally think fresh sockeye taste is the best taste of the human mouth can enjoy. pan fry with butter and a little kosher salt 

Robert_G

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:35:13 AM »

The last hour before dark had some decent room to get some nice drifts in...and the fish were still being caught. It's crowded until at least 8pm.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:20 AM »

Ya it wasnt bad just before dark, but man what a hike without a flashlight,  gotta have a couple bear scares to clear the crowd out :o

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »

I was out on the 13th, got a few socks and 2 springs.

Aki

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »

This is the Landstrome bar near the Hope truck scales off hwy 7. It is a 1/2 hour hike down the track and a trail to get there. Parking could be a problem too.

ali2pali

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »

Had a friend fishing out at Scale today. He got 2 socks and 1 20lb spring. Apparently pretty crowded-even on the weekdays .

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »

8)wow  have not fished that bar in a long while i see things have not changed over the years. the long walk in is worth it though you just have to be patient with other fisherman newbies and pros alike. tight lines to all and sharp hooks as well see ya out there maybe.  8) :D

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »

Yeah, it was a bit crazy, but now that I'm stuffed full of barbequed sockeye.....well...I have no regrets of going there. :)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:50:10 AM »

I was out on the 13th, got a few socks and 2 springs.

I hope one was a jack! 1 adult spring per day.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:51:28 AM »

This is the Landstrome bar near the Hope truck scales off hwy 7. It is a 1/2 hour hike down the track and a trail to get there. Parking could be a problem too.

do they ever tow? I heard there are boundary signs too, apparently 2 guys got their gear taken away for fishing outside the boundary marker

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13:09 AM »

I hope one was a jack! 1 adult spring per day.

I never said I bonked  them both did I? First one was bonked (18 ish pounds) Second one was tailed in knee deep water, revived and released ( low to mid 20ies). I'm aware of the regs.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »

I never said I bonked  them both did I? First one was bonked (18 ish pounds) Second one was tailed in knee deep water, revived and released ( low to mid 20ies). I'm aware of the regs.

there was a guy there with 2 springs and a thompson steelhead and wayyy more than his limit in sockeye. family of 5 waiting for him on the shore.

there was also someone waiting for him....it was the conservation officer service, they scored themselves some new gear and some fish! LOL they watched him the whole time

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 10:05:27 AM »

there was a guy there with 2 springs and a thompson steelhead and wayyy more than his limit in sockeye. family of 5 waiting for him on the shore.

there was also someone waiting for him....it was the conservation officer service, they scored themselves some new gear and some fish! LOL they watched him the whole time

If they watched him the whole time why would they not intervene to save the steelhead?
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »

Oh that's easy. If the DFO intervene to save the steelhead they lose their "evidence" for the conviction of any charges they may lay.

You see, the DFO could care less about a fish. All they care is enforcement which is a legal way for them to show off in numbers of conviction.

I saw some DFO last year watch a guy pull 3 sockeye out of the river past his limit, letting them die and THEN they stepped in.

So you're suggesting it's better to step in, save a fishes life and give the perpetrator a stern talking to.....  and as soon as the officer turns his back he'll do it all over again.....
 as opposed to letting the perpetrator complete his violation so that they have evidence that he can be charged with in court??  ???  ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[