Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 259947 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #330 on: September 05, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »

Today went  3 x times out with the pedal bike...
Aprox 1 hour or a little more each time...
The last ride was to McDonald Beach with about 1/2 an hr of sun left was checking the boats coming up the ramp...they had at least two or more pinks but the one couple had 2 pinks but also a really nice fat Spring...it barely fit in the cooler. Lloyd (man's name) said he had no right to catch it as he was rigged for pinks (small pink spoon)
So great to hear about the amounts of fish coming into the river...
Judging by Rod's pic....SPORTS FISHING IS ALIVE & WELL IN THE VANCOUVER & SURROUNDING AREA...Good weather is to continue all this week "to boot".

Juiceboxluver

« Reply #331 on: September 05, 2011, 11:42:33 PM »

Funny that you mention a guy catching a Spring while rigging for pinks but you get lucky sometimes like us last yr trolling for Sockeye using pink squirts and we got this 26lbs Sping, Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get!

gheart008

« Reply #332 on: September 05, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »

Plenty of fish made their way into the river this evening once again. Although I was into a few fish, it would have been a good outing if I didn't have to see someone careless discarding a bundle of fishing line on the rocks by the river after getting a birdnest. I was so furious that I went over to pick it up before the waves carried it away and made sure he knew what I was thinking.

It really isn't difficult to process with a brain. Fishing line, not biodegradable, it kills birds, turtles, not to mention it is an eye sore. You bring it, you take it, don't crap in where you take food out.

Anyway, here's one of several Fishersak's catches from this evening.

Tell me about it.  Saw some random garbage floating around the rocks that I picked up.  Not sure why people can't just pick up after themselves.

Also was near a woman who snagged a pink at the back, was netted by another family member, and they kept it anyways, even after I gave them the "dissaproved look".  Sigh.

Was just down from where you were tonight Rod.  Did you see the two guys in the boat further to the right where they couldn't get their motor started, and they started floating down the river?  Freaky stuff.  Hope they're ok.

Sigh, three days straight now trying to get my dad into his first salmon, and no luck.  I think I'm going to take him to New West tomorrow instead just for a change of scenary.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:49:03 PM by gheart008 »

masutheakita

« Reply #333 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:03 PM »

Tell me about it.  Saw some random garbage floating around the rocks that I picked up.  Not sure why people can't just pick up after themselves.

Also was near a woman who snagged a pink at the back, was netted by another family member, and they kept it anyways, even after I gave them the "dissaproved look".  Sigh.

Was just down from where you were tonight Rod.  Did you see the two guys in the boat further to the right where they couldn't get their motor started, and they started floating down the river?  Freaky stuff.  Hope they're ok.

Sigh, three days straight now trying to get my dad into his first salmon, and no luck.  I think I'm going to take him to New West tomorrow instead just for a change of scenary.

i saw those two guys in the boat around 5 road.  i also saw a guy snag one and let someone else keep it.

Juiceboxluver

« Reply #334 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »

I saw that guy with the Bayliner , he achored right in front of us and I gave him crap for it , there's like 7 guys fishing and he decides to anchor right in the front , like you gotta be kidding me he's got a boat he can go anywhere and decide to do that come on it's common sense

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #335 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:57 PM »

When someone attempts to paddle a boat that size across the shipping lane, it's pretty obvious that common sense is absent... ;)

If people are seeing others deciding to keep foul-hooked salmon, the first thing to do is to simply tell them it's illegal. Because this is a fishery that attracts lots of newcomers, many simply don't know. Educate first, if that doesn't work, then... :-\

Juiceboxluver

« Reply #336 on: September 06, 2011, 12:05:39 AM »

I watched the whole thing , His motor just died after I gave him crap and he drifted from the the giant log about 6 guys to your left where your fishing Rodney down to the 4th pilings and into shore I don't wanna sound like a jerk but I was laugh'n the whole way!

Infiniti81

« Reply #337 on: September 06, 2011, 12:41:55 AM »

When someone attempts to paddle a boat that size across the shipping lane, it's pretty obvious that common sense is absent... ;)

If people are seeing others deciding to keep foul-hooked salmon, the first thing to do is to simply tell them it's illegal. Because this is a fishery that attracts lots of newcomers, many simply don't know. Educate first, if that doesn't work, then... :-\

Very good point. Someone could see you frowning at them and have no idea what it is you're frowning about, if anything they would probably think you're jealous of them "catching" a fish.

Quietly just mentioning the legality of what they're doing would hopefully at least set some people straight and prevent them from doing it in the future. If they talk back to you then just say you're just trying to help and walk away... and scold from a distance  :P

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #338 on: September 06, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »

I been heading out to number 3 road quite often, is there any other popular pink runs closer to the north side that can produce? I tried the north arm near burnaby fraser park, and no one was fishing, and no signs of pinks in the area. I been sunk 5 days now and its driving me crazy!! I'm still in the hunt for my first salmon!!

gheart008

« Reply #339 on: September 06, 2011, 01:24:57 AM »

Very good point. Someone could see you frowning at them and have no idea what it is you're frowning about, if anything they would probably think you're jealous of them "catching" a fish.

Quietly just mentioning the legality of what they're doing would hopefully at least set some people straight and prevent them from doing it in the future. If they talk back to you then just say you're just trying to help and walk away... and scold from a distance  :P

I've mentioned the legality of foul hooking to various people over the years, and some of the times it's clear they just didn't know, while other times it's clear they clearly know better, but do it anyways, and all I get is rude remarks in return for opening my mouth.  So I've learned to pick and choose who to mention it to now.  The ones that look like they clearly know what they're doing, I just give them the frown and shake my head as I've found it not worth it to get confrontational with them as it just ends up ruining the rest of my day.  For tonight's case, the man netting the fish clearly knew what he was doing (was setting up the gear for everyone, wore a fishing vest and hat, etc).  It's just sad that now the rest of his family are learning from his illegal acts.

newb33

« Reply #340 on: September 06, 2011, 06:41:22 AM »

Carry a can of bear spray than you won't have any worries about who you say stuff too that's what I do it drives me nuts the people that fish with no understanding of the rules or just clearly don't give a crap

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #341 on: September 06, 2011, 07:57:31 AM »

I been heading out to number 3 road quite often, is there any other popular pink runs closer to the north side that can produce? I tried the north arm near burnaby fraser park, and no one was fishing, and no signs of pinks in the area. I been sunk 5 days now and its driving me crazy!! I'm still in the hunt for my first salmon!!
I've been told more frequent schools of pinks go through the North Arm in the latter half of the run.  May be Sept 15?  Like you I have been driving to Richmond, but I am very close to the North Arm.

Mr. Iban

« Reply #342 on: September 06, 2011, 08:11:18 AM »

Carry a can of bear spray than you won't have any worries about who you say stuff too that's what I do it drives me nuts the people that fish with no understanding of the rules or just clearly don't give a crap

Why stop at bear spray... we can all just carry guns and knives too... Using bear spray on a person is far more illegal than keeping a foul hooked fish.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #343 on: September 06, 2011, 08:49:57 AM »

A bit of overreaction perhaps, like Road Rage, except in this case it's Fish Rage!

Kirk Hicks

« Reply #344 on: September 06, 2011, 08:51:18 AM »

Finally hooked into a pink last evening at my favorite spot above Mission. Also caught one jack spring. Fried it up for dinner. Delicious! Caught a couple of jack springs last year as well while fishing with crocs for pinks. You just never know.