Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 259948 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #345 on: September 06, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »

Leave the bear spray at home, there's really no need for that type of attitude and behaviour. This is primarily a positive, family-oriented fishery with the odd problems. You don't fight problems with more problems. Spraying someone with bear spray will end your fishing day pretty fast, as Iban pointed out, it's illegal. My guess is that you haven't tried it on anyone yet to find out.

Finally hooked into a pink last evening at my favorite spot above Mission. Also caught one jack spring. Fried it up for dinner. Delicious! Caught a couple of jack springs last year as well while fishing with crocs for pinks. You just never know.

Very nice. I find chinook jacks do not take artificial lures as often as adult chinook or pink salmon. In the last few pink salmon season, I have only encountered two chinook jacks in the Tidal Fraser River while spinning for pink and coho salmon.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:43:07 AM by Rodney »

paulbish

« Reply #346 on: September 06, 2011, 09:49:56 AM »

Well said Rod, get the kids out there is no better learning experience. Leave the attitudes and tough guy acts at home or on the Scale Bar.

Kirk Hicks

« Reply #347 on: September 06, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »

I should have mentioned that I caught the jack springs on a non pink colored croc. Silver with blue strip. My pink crocs have not done very well so far this year but I am sure that will change soon. Full moon is only a few days away. That will see schools of pinks migrating up the river with the tide.

How far do pink salmon travel per day in the Fraser River? Does anybody know?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #348 on: September 06, 2011, 10:38:43 AM »

For those who plan to go out again this week for pink salmon, please be aware of some very important regulation changes that went in effect starting today. I've summarized these changes on a page:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/110906-1.html

Please know (or at least learn) how to identify all salmon species. We'd hate to see a photo of someone with a smiley face posing with a Fraser River coho salmon in the near future. :)

Oilcruzer

« Reply #349 on: September 06, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »

Leave the bear spray at home, there's really no need for that type of attitude and behaviour. This is primarily a positive, family-oriented fishery with the odd problems. You don't fight problems with more problems. Spraying someone with bear spray will end your fishing day pretty fast, as Iban pointed out, it's illegal. My guess is that you haven't tried it on anyone yet to find out.

Very nice. I find chinook jacks do not take artificial lures as often as adult chinook or pink salmon. In the last few pink salmon season, I have only encountered two chinook jacks in the Tidal Fraser River while spinning for pink and coho salmon.
I was quite happy someone had bear spray along the other day.   8)
Cleaning a fish and suddenly 50 yards away a full grown black male (bear). My whistle scared him off.  Unfortunately right into the trees at the exit.  I suggested a huddle.  Five seconds later there were 20 of us together.  ;D

Back to the pinks... Tried to avoid them yesterday, went big hook for springs.  No such luck.  "All" I got was a big sockeye. ;D

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #350 on: September 06, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »

Love the story but really, he needs a life jacket!  Especially in a river like the Fraser!

yeah... he got in trouble after the photo for not having it on !!! he asked to take his hoodie off because it was gettin hot ! and never put life jackect back on ! he wore it the rest of the time !!!

brownmancheng

« Reply #351 on: September 06, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »

Carry a can of bear spray than you won't have any worries about who you say stuff too that's what I do it drives me nuts the people that fish with no understanding of the rules or just clearly don't give a crap
What is wrong with you?? I hardly think a foul hooked fish is worth an assault charge. You are not a conservation officer. I fully believe in letting ppl know through education. But to get into a confrontation over it? Leave it to the professionals.

brownmancheng

« Reply #352 on: September 06, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »

Sorry didn't realize the other responses had already been posted. Let's improve everyones fishing experience with mutual respect.
 :)

lots2learn

« Reply #353 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »

Lots of fish coming through before high tide today. I was around the port mann area and the water was alive from 12.30 - 3.00.
Managed to net one and loose about 5.  Pink spoon with white lightning bolt. Great afternoon.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #354 on: September 06, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »

Lots of fish coming through before high tide today. I was around the port mann area and the water was alive from 12.30 - 3.00.
Managed to net one and loose about 5 Pink spoon with white lightning bolt. Great afternoon.
likes that the classic megawatt did the trick, i am getting excited for the upcoming time off...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

bluenoser

« Reply #355 on: September 06, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »

Guess I've been lucky to always encounter nice guys and gals while fishing around No#3 rd in Richmond...seems with the abundance of fish tempers flare less and today I had two different guys try to net a fish for me. One guy netted a couple for me so I passed on my secret lure...which is no secret...pretty similar to what Rod has posted in the past. I've had my daughter there in the past and plan to take her again later in the week...drives her crazy when she see's pinks rolling and jumping and they don't bite...but she has a great attitude and will often say...at least we had a nice day even if we go home empty handed.

btw..3 keepers, 1 released and 6 lost

newb33

« Reply #356 on: September 06, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »

ok lets clarify what i mean by carry bear spray. i carry it in my tacle box all the time i do lots of exploring including the cap so yes thats why but i know its a family sport but 1% of people like the riots if you say something to them they will come over and try and knock you out, its reality and the way civilization has progressed

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #357 on: September 06, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »

Lots2learn, I saw a guy chucking that spoon 'close to the port man' today.  Must have been you.  I was in a plaid hat a few yards down from you.

greese30

« Reply #358 on: September 06, 2011, 09:24:25 PM »

ok lets clarify what i mean by carry bear spray. i carry it in my tacle box all the time i do lots of exploring including the cap so yes thats why but i know its a family sport but 1% of people like the riots if you say something to them they will come over and try and knock you out, its reality and the way civilization has progressed

i dont call that "progress" -- quite certain you dont either.  how sad because it's true

gheart008

« Reply #359 on: September 06, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »

Sigh, more garbage lying around the river today.  Was in New West this morning and picked up a giant ball of line by the rocks.  Went to Richmond tonight and found even more line left by the side of the river, along with chip bags and coffee cups.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jeebus.