Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 275296 times)

fish.on

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #375 on: September 07, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »

I was wondering is there any public access to shore fishing on the south side of the fraser from the Port Mann bridge to the Golden Ears Bridge.  If so has anyone tried with spoons or spinners for pinks? I have been in the area but was blocked by train tracks and industrial companies. Thanks.

newb33

« Reply #376 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »

fished again tonight all alone and no one around beautiful only seen two risers in two hours but looks can be decieving cause i got 2 in and lost 4 more

anorden

« Reply #377 on: September 07, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »

fished again tonight all alone and no one around beautiful only seen two risers in two hours but looks can be decieving cause i got 2 in and lost 4 more

looks definitely are deceiving, I saw 2-300 risers and only hooked one (lost).

gheart008

« Reply #378 on: September 07, 2011, 11:19:54 PM »

Like you I wish people wouldn't do that.  What can be so hard about taking ones garbage away from a spot?  Oh well - doesn't do our sport any credit with people I can tell you that.

I am trying to get in the habit of taking a bag with me so I can pink up the odd bits of junk from around where I am fishing.  It doesn't take much and if enough people get in the habit the problem would be considerably reduced.  Keep spreading the word  8)

What really got to me was the fact that there was a garbage can literally 2 meters away from where I picked up that garbage, like I seriously only had to get back up to the road from the rocks and the can was right there.  Go figure.

gheart008, how do you like that image shack, is it easy and safe to use for uploading images here?

I don't have an account or anything.  I just use it to upload the odd picture here and there to post on forums since it's free.  Seems ok to me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 11:22:20 PM by gheart008 »

Mr. Iban

« Reply #379 on: September 07, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »

Fish.on - Dont know many spots on the south side, but you can catch the ferry to Barnston Island and fish from there. Or better yet, cross the Golden Ears and fish anywhere along the dyke in Pitt Meadows.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »

just a quick report,

My buddy went out this morning at 5am and fished for Pinks somewhere close to the Alex fraser and ended up landing 16 fish in 2.5 hours, looks like we may have some better numbers FINALLY starting to show!!!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »

Seems like the water is clearing and dropping at the right time as well.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #382 on: September 08, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »

just a quick report,

My buddy went out this morning at 5am and fished for Pinks somewhere close to the Alex fraser and ended up landing 16 fish in 2.5 hours, looks like we may have some better numbers FINALLY starting to show!!!

Rick
Good to know! Hopefully tomorrow Ill be able to hit up the water. Stupid work!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

jizza

« Reply #383 on: September 08, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »

anyone have any luck at the north arm?

Luke

• Luke McAdam Design
« Reply #384 on: September 08, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »

I went out to the South Arm of the Fraser today, was there for almost 3 hours leading up to the high tide, no bites or catches for me or those close to me and only saw one surface, and it may have been a little white fish. There wasn't many people around until about 30 mins before high tide which I found weird since, as far as I'm aware, pinks are moving up the river during the incoming tide. Maybe the late summer is delaying the movement of schools up the river?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #385 on: September 08, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »

I was at the South Arm in Richmond from around 12:45 to 2:45, a few rollers and jumpers that lasted for a few seconds and not much action.  About a dozen people along the river that I can see, and didn't see anybody land any.  One guy said he landed one earlier in the day downstream from where I was.

rheticus

« Reply #386 on: September 08, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »

I fished the South Arm from 1 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. today. I had two good hookups in close to shore during the first hour -- the second fish played me for a long time before spitting the hook right at my feet. Then everything went dead after about 2 p.m. So here's my question.

A lot of people seem to be losing a lot of fish -- batting less than .500 on hookups, so to speak -- and I wonder about the hooks on most spoons people use. To my eye, they look a little small and long in the shank. Have any of you experimented using a slightly bigger hook with a shorter shank in hopes of losing fewer fish on what initially seem to be good hookups? Thanks.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #387 on: September 08, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »

Well I got 1 solid hook up, and I had 2 spit. But when mine spit they were within about a second of biting, and as I set the hook, they jumped and slacked the line. So my two I think were just smart fish. Others I cant speak to, but Ive heard of people catching pinks on #4 size hooks. I use 1 and 1/0, so I dont think I could go much bigger   :-\
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #388 on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »

i use size 2 gammies for my salmon/steelhead spoons, but im usually flyfishing. I fin with the gammies fish stay hooked better and remember tto sharpen your hooks often as when your hook gets close to shore it hits rocks and gets dull.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

lots2learn

« Reply #389 on: September 08, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »

Great afternoon. Fish biting, sun shining. Pity the limits four. 'megawatt' (?) spoon could do no wrong. Pitt meadows area 3.00 - 5.00. Water clarity improving every day.