Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 275414 times)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #420 on: September 09, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »

Hey guys just a couple of questions from a newbie to Pink fishing,  I have had a lot of success this year up around mission and most of the fish seem very fresh... a few of mine have had sea lice.. what is the time frame for sea lice to live once they have hit the river system? i was told that they cannot live longer then 12 hours once they enter.  True? 
secondly, one of the doe's I hooked into seemed very fresh until i noticed a hole on its back. the entire fish was firm except for the area around the hole which was very soft.  is this just from being foul hooked or is there another reason (paracite) ?

Thanks for your help!
-Dan

Hey Dan, Dan here! I was talking with my boss and the boss of another shop beside us, and he said 3 days. If they still have lice, they havent been out of salt for more than 3 days. I cant say I KNOW this, but its what I was told.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

jacked55

« Reply #421 on: September 09, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »

was out for about 2 hours today in fort langley area. lots of jumpers seen, finally hooked into my first pink on a spoon. thought it was a snag at first and then the fight was on! got it to about 5 feet from shore then it spit the hook. Damnit! worst part about it was that i had cycled through all my different colour spoons and that was the only one i got a fish on with and the very next cast i snagged into something and lost my only productive spoon of the night. Double damnit! had alot of fun though. Next time im gonna land one hopefully.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #422 on: September 09, 2011, 09:43:29 PM »

Hey guys just a couple of questions from a newbie to Pink fishing,  I have had a lot of success this year up around mission and most of the fish seem very fresh... a few of mine have had sea lice.. what is the time frame for sea lice to live once they have hit the river system? i was told that they cannot live longer then 12 hours once they enter.  True? 
secondly, one of the doe's I hooked into seemed very fresh until i noticed a hole on its back. the entire fish was firm except for the area around the hole which was very soft.  is this just from being foul hooked or is there another reason (paracite) ?

Thanks for your help!
-Dan

How big was the hole?  I kept a coho with a hole on each side of its body, like a seal bit it, and although she was chrome and I cut generously around the bite, the flesh was mushy and flavorless.  I would steer away from a fish with any pre-existing injuries, especially if the flesh is soft.

1son

« Reply #423 on: September 09, 2011, 10:07:51 PM »

went out today after work lot of jumpers and risers no takers 4 of us fishing 2hrs only 1 fish must be the water clarity and warm weather because my friend went out this morning to the same spot and landed 19 in 3hrs said the water was perfect gonna have to switch it up a bit and give early morning a go good luck out there

Danny21

« Reply #424 on: September 10, 2011, 11:15:37 AM »

Hey Dan, Dan here! I was talking with my boss and the boss of another shop beside us, and he said 3 days. If they still have lice, they havent been out of salt for more than 3 days. I cant say I KNOW this, but its what I was told.
How big was the hole?  I kept a coho with a hole on each side of its body, like a seal bit it, and although she was chrome and I cut generously around the bite, the flesh was mushy and flavorless.  I would steer away from a fish with any pre-existing injuries, especially if the flesh is soft.
Thanks Dan that makes a little more sense. 
WAfishboy- yeah the hole was a decent size, I realesed the fish due to its soft meat around the hole.  Thanks for your Help!

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #425 on: September 10, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »

went out today after work lot of jumpers and risers no takers 4 of us fishing 2hrs only 1 fish must be the water clarity and warm weather because my friend went out this morning to the same spot and landed 19 in 3hrs said the water was perfect gonna have to switch it up a bit and give early morning a go good luck out there
\

19 landed? how come we are lucky to get even 1  ??? ???

Luke

• Luke McAdam Design
« Reply #426 on: September 10, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »

Have a great fishing weekend, not. Commercial scoopings have been extended to September 13th. >:(

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=135926&ID=all

Ah wow that stinks. Could we see a strong movement of schools up the Fraser from the 14th, or would it take a few days for the schools to come back in force?

FishGuts

« Reply #427 on: September 10, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »

seems like the commercial openings not affecting as much higher up, was out this morn ruskin area 25 fish on the fly, same result last 3 mornings, lots of hookups and limits each time.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #428 on: September 10, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »

seems like the commercial openings not affecting as much higher up, was out this morn ruskin area 25 fish on the fly, same result last 3 mornings, lots of hookups and limits each time.
There is a window of commercial fisher closure between 9pm and 6am, so if those fish are get past the nets, may be they can reach the your area by morning?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #429 on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »

Fished Richmond from 1 till 4 today, only saw a few fish rise all day and no hook ups  :-[

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #430 on: September 10, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »

river was void of fish  :-X :( never seen it so slow ! very disappointed that we saw 2 4 ft sturgeons with net marks floatin up side down too !

Taboo

« Reply #431 on: September 10, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »

Very, very dead today at Brownsville.........

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #432 on: September 10, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »

Was out early today in Richmond, hoping to catch the fish that escaped the commercial nets that were supposed to start at 6am.  There was nothing happening except the coarse fish.  It was also out going tide which also isn't ideal.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #433 on: September 10, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »

belly up dead sturg  >:( >:( >:

Mr. Iban

« Reply #434 on: September 10, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »

Fished mid river in Pitt Meadows from 1 pm to 7 pm on the incoming tide. Caught 6 large pinks with about 8 hook ups that were lost. Action was best as the tide started to move up. Got really dead from 4 till 7.