Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 260639 times)

tanaka

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #510 on: September 15, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »

Wow this should be good. I'm looking forward to the fish.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #511 on: September 15, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »

After this little Commie fiasco, I have regained hope of more fishies! Tonight was fun. Although my lady and I got skunked in Delta (AGAIN!) we did see two schools push, one was huge with an uncountable number of rollers and double digit jumpers. A couple fish buddies Ive met each got 2. 2 the half hour before we got there and 2 in the first half hour we were there. Was a little disheartening, but a hell of a lot more action packed than the last week. Hopefully this weekend will bring good results, and my lady can get her first salmon.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

drock31

« Reply #512 on: September 15, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »

drock31 and small_fish, I am hoping you both will report your success on this forum so I can put my chores aside (again) to head out soon and try for Pinks. Looking for any excuse right now. ::) Thanks.

I will post from the river as soon as I check it out. Should be down by the river around 7:45 just before high tide

Mr. Iban

« Reply #513 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:46 PM »

Pitt Meadows had lots of rollers and a few jumpers about a half hour before dark. Landed one large chromed male. Getting better than early in the week.

gofishon

« Reply #514 on: September 15, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »

Looks like most are reporting more fish in the river today. Sounds good to me!  ;D

salmonsushi

« Reply #515 on: September 16, 2011, 12:38:51 AM »

Went to 5rd from 6-7 tonight. I could only feel one school of fishes went by. In the few minutes there were many bites. At that time there was a guy talking loudly with someone and I was listening to their conversation and forgot to lift my rod to set the hook lol. In the end I hooked one but lost it. Couldn't feel any fish biting after that. I don't like casting in the big wind like tonight, the spoon would fly all over the place, side way, crossing other ppl's line etc..

I have 8lb test line. Wonder why the line broke? After the line broke, I check the end of the line has a little curl on it. Did I cut the line too close to the knot?

drock31

« Reply #516 on: September 16, 2011, 06:18:15 AM »

I have 8lb test line. Wonder why the line broke? After the line broke, I check the end of the line has a little curl on it. Did I cut the line too close to the knot?

That curl means your knot came undone. Add a couple more twist on your clinch knot to avoid this. I have also learned this lesson the hard way

Oilcruzer

« Reply #517 on: September 16, 2011, 07:20:33 AM »

Found a clear spot where literally thousands rolled by my feet, robot like.  Was hypnotizing. Not active, played with different set ups. A few strikes, and released what I brought in.

gofishon

« Reply #518 on: September 16, 2011, 08:41:11 AM »

You are probably right. ::) That little curl is a tell tale sign of a knot that slipped. If you only tied a clinch knot, try the improved clinch knot. Also, different densities, diameters, and strengths of mono require different #'s of turns of the knot before "finishing". Always wet the line before tightening and always test the knot before your next cast. Good luck on your next time out!  ;D

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #519 on: September 16, 2011, 09:57:46 AM »

You are probably right. ::) That little curl is a tell tale sign of a knot that slipped. If you only tied a clinch knot, try the improved clinch knot. Also, different densities, diameters, and strengths of mono require different #'s of turns of the knot before "finishing". Always wet the line before tightening and always test the knot before your next cast. Good luck on your next time out!  ;D

With 8lb line, you should have 6 or 7 turns of the line in the clinch knot.
In comparison, with heavier line such as 30lb, you should only have 4 turns.

As mentioned, always use the "improved" clinch knot. Don't know anyone that uses the non-improved version.

This site has animated knot tying instructions: http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedclinch/index.php

Don't need to cut the tag end (the extra line) too close, fish can't see it in this water anyways.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #520 on: September 16, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »

Before you even make a single cast, try to pull on it *hard* while its still in your hands to assess the knot integrity. With 8lb, you can probably test it in your hands to almost the breaking point if you wanted. At least you’ll be able to test it with far more stress than your average pink will be offering.

If it doesn’t slip from doing that, then there is no way it will slip or break on a fish unless the line gets subsequently weakened.

Hen

« Reply #521 on: September 16, 2011, 01:49:48 PM »

Is today the last day for commercial netting? any fishery notice update?

salmonsushi

« Reply #522 on: September 16, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »

Wow appreciate all the help. Lots of good info.

I was using uni knot and made only 3-4 turn. When do you use uni knot and clinch knot? What's the difference? ???

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #523 on: September 16, 2011, 02:39:07 PM »

Is today the last day for commercial netting? any fishery notice update?

Looks like the commercial opening has been extended (again) until Sept 23rd, next Friday.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #524 on: September 16, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »

Looks like the commercial opening has been extended (again) until Sept 23rd, next Friday.

SCUZI?  ???
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!