Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 275281 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:18 AM »

As I've pointed out in the past about fishing locations in the Tidal Fraser River, there isn't one specific best spot, but rather there is a best time at every spot. Just about all locations along the Fraser River will see pink salmon swimming by, the question is when will they go by. The general rule is the last three hours of incoming tide, but sometimes the start of the incoming tide (at the lowest tide) can also be very productive. The best way to find out is to simply go to a particular spot at different times and try it out, develop a fishing log so for the season in two years from now, you have a better strategy when targeting them.

Anyway, I don't think RainbowMan is asking for a spot where fishing is good, but rather a spot where fishing can be done safely with a 7 year old kid. I'd help but can't as I don't fish around the Tri City area at all. :) Maybe others can point them out, either in another reply or by email.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2011, 06:44:21 AM »

Thanks much, these answers are very helpful - I figured it might have more to do with tides than specific location but I wasn't sure because people seem to prefer crowding specific areas last season.  Since it was a first time for me too back then I tended to go to those areas and I found a moderately crowded place that worked well for me - naturally I kept going back there.   Just a confidence thing like so many other aspects of fishing but I would like to try some less frequented spots this year just for kicks.

I did get the impression that fishing deeper areas were better than areas that were shallow but that might just be a confidence thing like everything else.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2011, 07:05:46 AM »

I've never seen or had any luck for Pinks on the north side under the Portmann, however at the same time I'd shoot over to the south side and it would be stacked with Pinks rolling along

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »

Fished the south arm rising tide yesterday afternoon. No Pinks caught, no rising fish seen except one sockeye further out.
Visibility was worse than last weekend with a lot more floating debris.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »

Fished the south arm rising tide yesterday afternoon. No Pinks caught, no rising fish seen except one sockeye further out.
Visibility was worse than last weekend with a lot more floating debris.
Too bad  :(...but its going to get better soon (I hope)

aaron.az

« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »

Got out to derby reach from 11 till 3. in that 4 hours, not a bite. throwing spoons, spinners, buzz bombs . saw a sturgeon caught, a sturgeon jump and about 3-4 fish jump on the other side of the river. probably sockeye? pretty crappy to not get anything in 4 hours of chuckin at em. Was worth it for the beautiful weather and the cool river. until i took 1 step too far and was chest high in water. phew...that was close.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »

Checked out the North Arm on the way home and saw 4 guys fishing in this one spot. None of them landed anything and there was no visible surface activity. One guy said he lost a salmon.  The water looks pretty silty!

noobfisher

« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »

First Fraser pink of the year for me caught around 2pm.

I did not see a single fish rise or any fins for the couple hours I was fishing but they are certainly in the river.

Congrats!  ;D

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »

Better than last week that's for sure.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2011, 05:37:48 PM »

Better than last week that's for sure.

HOLY MOLY THATS SO MUCH BETTER!

Last week visibility, where I was at least was about half of that. If not less. That is awesome water. Heading out in a few minutes here for an evening with the lady and the fishies (Hopefully) so I will take your news of a catch and turn that into optimism for the night!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

newb33

« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »

Spent the entire afternoon fishin off annacis island no risers nothin oh well beautiful day and no one around got a tan

drock31

« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »

Out today from 3-6 on the south arm. Half dozen risers or so and hooked into one for about 20 seconds. Better than nothing

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »

Was out for 3 or so hours west of Alex Fraser. Saw MANY jumpers. No fins that I saw, but a LOT of jumping. Lots towards the middle of the river, and probably 5 or so within 50 feet of shore. Was about 4-5 other people over that time that stopped in and no one caught anything but rocks. I was the only one who didnt lose a lure! First time yet I think.

Did happen to witness some disgusting behavior. Bombay SE Resturant located in Scottsdale (There is also one in Poco, different business) had a van stop where I was. A woman threw a plastic bag into the river, then got back into the van and they sped off. I only caught the sploosh and her getting back in the van, and was a little shocked. I asked my girlfriend if that ACTUALLY just happened. I googled them and got their number. I spoke to a lady and asked if they had a delivery van. She said yes. I then told her what I saw, and she asked how I knew it was them. I asked her if they had a brown van with a circular logo on it that said Bombay, and she said yes. I... kindly and tactfully (Read: Not true at all) asked her to let whoever drives the van know that they are a piece of **** and you cannot go around tossing your trash in the river, and that next time I see them my camera will be out, video will be taken and the cops will be notified.

Now I dont know the legalities of it or who I would have to go through, but I was prepared to return their package to them on their van. But then my girlfriend reminded me Im not 16 anymore. :(
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

oldkawi

« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2011, 12:03:09 AM »

Out today from 3-6 on the south arm. Half dozen risers or so and hooked into one for about 20 seconds. Better than nothing

Same here.  Out on Dyke road in Richmond from 4:00 to 6:15.  Tried, spinners, spoons in different colors but no luck.  Saw absolutely nothing and got absolutely nothing!!  I can't believe how much time I've put in the last week and a half and still nothing.  I hope all the pinks don't sneak past me on the few days when I can't be on the river fishing. ;D  It was relaxing though!!

mikeyman

« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2011, 05:57:12 AM »

patience, the fish are stacked at the mouth and building, they should start pushing soon. I remember last pink run we camped on the river leading up to the long weekend and caught 100's of pinks. They will be pushing up river thick within a week.