Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 259915 times)

Clarki Hunter

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »

Going back through my pictures from 09' it was the first week of Sept before they were in thick on the south end of 3rd.  There's been some chatter about the runs being late on the island and I would think that would go for us too.  Hang in there everyone I'm sure they are right around the corner.  :)

gman

« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2011, 05:22:47 PM »

Pinks (and any salmon) are always way easier to catchup river than down around Richmond. Now their catching some around CHilliwack, and still rare around Richmond. IN a few weeks you can catch 50 a day around Chilliwack, and  will be able to catch a few a day in Richmond.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »

The Pinks must have shot by in the open, higher lower Fraser waters; as other postings indicate Pinks are being caught at Hope area?? any theory on this?

Season's over people. Time to pack up and go home. :)

Pinks (and any salmon) are always way easier to catchup river than down around Richmond. Now their catching some around CHilliwack, and still rare around Richmond. IN a few weeks you can catch 50 a day around Chilliwack, and  will be able to catch a few a day in Richmond.

Only a few?? ;D

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »

guys.....relax. the millions of pinks haven't arrived yet. they are still moving down from alaska. if you have kept a journal like i have for over 10 pink seasons you will realize very few fish are caught this early in the run. the first 2 weeks of september have the pinks entering the mouth of the fraser by the thousands along with the coho. lots of fish for everyone. 30 million i beleve is the forecast for this year. we are still a week early at least for the lower fraser.

iCemAn

« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »

My 2003 photos were 2nd week of September on the fly. Give it some time for the Fraser. Squamish Pinks are always earlier, 2003 was middle to end of August on the Squamish for them.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

gman

« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »

Only a few?? ;D
[/quote]

You'll catch more than a few (and Nina maybe even more!), but I'll be happy with a few. ;D

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »

Season's over people. Time to pack up and go home. :)

Only a few?? ;D

ditto... dfo cancelled them !

well u should also check back in the lower in a out 1.5 weeks ! lol

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2011, 08:41:27 PM »

guys.....relax. the millions of pinks haven't arrived yet. they are still moving down from alaska. if you have kept a journal like i have for over 10 pink seasons you will realize very few fish are caught this early in the run. the first 2 weeks of september have the pinks entering the mouth of the fraser by the thousands along with the coho. lots of fish for everyone. 30 million i beleve is the forecast for this year. we are still a week early at least for the lower fraser.
Thank you sir. Becuase of this post right here I will stop fretting over it, and simply keep trying, and keep hoping!

But if october hits, and I have no salmon, Im coming for you!!!!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

siderman

« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2011, 10:23:15 PM »

they have definitely started moving up river now 26 pinks netted at the albion test fishery today, and i hooked into two in the chedder so far, one today and one on Wednesday.  both on the fly. go out and maybe you'll have some luck. i'm going to try and throw some fly's in the fraser tomorrow for a bit possibly, and see what i can get my fly into (probably rocks and logs knowing my luck with the fraser) maybe throw a spoon out who knows. hoping for some tight lines!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:37 PM »

What I find interesting is that the most of the reports of pinks being caught are from much further up the river...port mann and east.  

Two reasons for that. (1) The 2011 pink salmon run up the Fraser River is almost over. Most of the fish shot upstream in the high, silty water. Pink salmon also prefer to migrate at night so that just makes if even more difficult. Those that are being caught now are just the stragglers. The river will basically be devoid of pinks in a week or so.  (2) The pink salmon fishing is very poor in the lower Fraser. Pink salmon congregate along sandbars. That's why the fishing is much better upstream along the bars of the upper Fraser Valley.

tfishy

« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »

only reason it is poor right now is because there not here yet in force..they are on their way, they haven't even peaked yet in the marine areas.  If even the low estimate number of 17.5million already showed up without anybody spotting massive schools finning we got a real big problem, but the forecast high is 30-45 million just be patient and they'll be here just like the other years.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »

Two reasons for that. (1) The 2011 pink salmon run up the Fraser River is almost over. Most of the fish shot upstream in the high, silty water. Pink salmon also prefer to migrate at night so that just makes if even more difficult. Those that are being caught now are just the stragglers. The river will basically be devoid of pinks in a week or so.  (2) The pink salmon fishing is very poor in the lower Fraser. Pink salmon congregate along sandbars. That's why the fishing is much better upstream along the bars of the upper Fraser Valley.

May I ask where you got this info from?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2011, 12:30:45 AM »

May I ask where you got this info from?

I am a well-read indiviual which leads to a higher than average intelligence. 

If you want to learn as much as I know about pink salmon fishing in the Fraser River I suggest that you pick up a book called "Pink Salmon Fishing in the Fraser River" by S.A.R Casm (or better known as Sir Arthur Resonance Casm)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2011, 12:47:12 AM »

Sounds like you caught a couple ;D ;D

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2011, 07:40:12 AM »

Two reasons for that. (1) The 2011 pink salmon run up the Fraser River is almost over. Most of the fish shot upstream in the high, silty water. Pink salmon also prefer to migrate at night so that just makes if even more difficult. Those that are being caught now are just the stragglers. The river will basically be devoid of pinks in a week or so.  (2) The pink salmon fishing is very poor in the lower Fraser. Pink salmon congregate along sandbars. That's why the fishing is much better upstream along the bars of the upper Fraser Valley.

Totally out to lunch.

Area 13 (Johnstone Strait) just had its biggest set EVER (Aug 25 - 16,532 pinks):

They are still staging in the marine areas.

I realize you are trying to be witty but some people that don't know the facts might get upset.