Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 275259 times)

killer fisher

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2011, 12:18:35 AM »

the "catch more fish" combo from shake spear  isnt a bad deal either for pink fishing i think

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »

what size pixie were u using??
I believe it was a 1/2 oz. Anything big would work
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:54 AM »

Saw a guy land a couple in Richmond this aft.  None for me.

a&n has a daiwa spin combo for $20  :)

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2011, 09:35:20 AM »

I just bought a new rod at CanTire ($40) that looks pretty good for pinks: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/RodReelCombos/PRD~0784658P/Ruckus+Spinning+Combo.jsp?locale=en

I spooled it with 8lb line (may be too light, we'll see).

Has the new design "pro-style split grip EVA handle" - looks pretty cool.
I am lending out my tried & true pink rod to a newbie.

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »

have anyone tried the blue fox vibrax single hook for pink? I got couple of them at "sea run"  http://www.bluefox.com/products/classic_vibrax.php

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »

I did pretty good with Blue Fox spinners in sizes 3 & 4 at the Squamish the last couple weekends. Very fun to use as the takes are pretty aggressive. One downside is that they are a bit light so you don’t get as much casting distance especially in windy conditions. And pricey. Nearly had to hold back a tear when I lost a $7 spinner on a submerged log :)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »

The bleeding copper worked very well for me last year, for Ho's.

In fast water and when casting from shore, it is tough to get the blue fox's down into the strike zone.  They are effective though, the Pinks do like them.  In muddy water you can slow the retrieve as the large blade adds 'traction'.  Where a spoon will flutter down faster when you slow your retrieve, the fox will stay up.

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »

I did pretty good with Blue Fox spinners in sizes 3 & 4 at the Squamish the last couple weekends. Very fun to use as the takes are pretty aggressive. One downside is that they are a bit light so you don’t get as much casting distance especially in windy conditions. And pricey. Nearly had to hold back a tear when I lost a $7 spinner on a submerged log :)

agree! I did used one at Campbell river(very hard to use, everyone was using flies/wools up there, dont know why our local tackle recomended me to use spinner up there), same here I almost wanted to dive in the river when my $7 spinner got snagged.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:02:34 AM by ihatefisheadsoup »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:32 AM »

agree! I did used one at Campbell river(very hard to use, everyone was using flies/wools up there, dont know why our local tackle recomended me to use spinner up there), same here I almost wanted to dive in the river when my $7 spinner got snagged.

I lost 2 of these at the Cap this year, somebody with a wet suit can make fortune hunting for these.  I'll probably stick with spoons and buzz bombs since they seem to snag less than spinners.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2011, 01:19:20 PM »

Was that just a straight silver Blue fox without any color?  I made the mistake of giving a favorite pink croc spoon to my nephew this weekend only to see it snagged up an lost on the first cast.  The moral of the story..never ever give a good spoon to a kid :(

These days I use cheap home made spinners as much as possible but I still find it hard to beat the casting distance and real effectiveness of those quater oz crocs.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: August 31, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »

You can add weight to any light lure to maximize casting distance.
I use a small piece (< 1") of pencil lead with one end flattened and a hole punched in it.

I thread my main line through the hole then attach a small swivel to keep the lead away from the lure.
Add 2 or 3 feet of leader to the other side of the swivel and attach your lure.

You can buy a set of pliers that are designed to punch the lead - there will be a small post and hole in opposite sides of the pliers.
If you don't want to buy the pliers, you can cut up, hammer and drill a bunch of various sizes.

I can get a 60 to 80 foot cast with any lure with this setup.

one more cast

« Reply #206 on: August 31, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »

You can add weight to any light lure to maximize casting distance.
I use a small piece (< 1") of pencil lead with one end flattened and a hole punched in it.

I thread my main line through the hole then attach a small swivel to keep the lead away from the lure.
Add 2 or 3 feet of leader to the other side of the swivel and attach your lure.

You can buy a set of pliers that are designed to punch the lead - there will be a small post and hole in opposite sides of the pliers.
If you don't want to buy the pliers, you can cut up, hammer and drill a bunch of various sizes.

I can get a 60 to 80 foot cast with any lure with this setup.

I just put the pencil lead through the mainline, tie a barrel swivel ( that holds the lead from moving down), then tie the leader to the other end of the swivel, then lure.

The lead is more 'inline' this way...but whatever works and helps get the lure out there, is all good.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #207 on: August 31, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »

Was that just a straight silver Blue fox without any color? 

No, all the ones I got were on silver blades & coloured bodies. Most were on a pink body, but that’s probably because that’s the one I used the most amount of time. I didn’t get anything with an all-silver, but I didn’t really give it a fair chance time-wise.

With the poor water visibility, I would wager that presenting the lure properly to smack those fish right in the face and give them a hell’s chance of actually seeing it was more important than colour.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: August 31, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »

No, all the ones I got were on silver blades & coloured bodies. Most were on a pink body, but that’s probably because that’s the one I used the most amount of time. I didn’t get anything with an all-silver, but I didn’t really give it a fair chance time-wise.

With the poor water visibility, I would wager that presenting the lure properly to smack those fish right in the face and give them a hell’s chance of actually seeing it was more important than colour.

Interesting..I tend to fish with whatever I have faith in and that usually means having some color especially darker colors in colored water.  You are probably right though - just getting the spinner close enough with the kind of water clarity we have been getting is all it takes.

I do something similar to what EasyWater suggests but I do find it difficult to get as good a casting distance with that setup than when I just use a quarter once crock..mainly due to wind resistance from the light home made spinners and spin-n-glows I put at the end of my leader.  I also run into issues with leader wrapping around the main line again..on account of my spinners being light so that the wind pushes them up against the mainline.   I guess the trick is to put a bit more weight on my spinner..lots of room for experimentation there..all part of the fun of fishing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:58:59 PM by fishseeker »

EastVan604

« Reply #209 on: August 31, 2011, 05:56:43 PM »

Does anyone know when the pinks start running up the North Arm of the Fraser River?