Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 275422 times)

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #405 on: September 09, 2011, 11:54:02 AM »

sounds like i picked a good day to spend with the warden. 8) things should pick up again soon...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

anorden

« Reply #406 on: September 09, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »

Commercial opening til 2100 hrs. Friday. Going to be slow again tomorrow.

The commercials are on ITQs for pinks though arent they? That should make for a more "sensible" approach compared to the old derby system.

noobfisher

« Reply #407 on: September 09, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »

Was out this morning, not a bite, now that I see there was a commercial opening that make's sense.  I'll give it a day or two before I head out again.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:49:50 PM by noobfisher »

jizza

« Reply #408 on: September 09, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »

went out today.............saw only a few fish jumping

kaolinite

« Reply #409 on: September 09, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »

Caught my first pink on the fly! feels good iv been waiting 2 years for it, knucklebuster. too bad it was a male so back in it went.

lots of fish rising, lots of activity ,spat 2 hooks, multiple bites. location west of the Mission bridge.

Hits are soft, really soft. As for Hardwear pink Jigs are slaying, 2 to 1 over spoons.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #410 on: September 09, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »

Are you fishing those jigs under a float?  Usually see that on the Vedder, rare on the Fraser.

kaolinite

« Reply #411 on: September 09, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »

Are you fishing those jigs under a float?  Usually see that on the Vedder, rare on the Fraser.

no float but its all about location

Taboo

« Reply #412 on: September 09, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »

Was at Brownsville today....LOTS of people out!  The rocks were shoulder to shoulder!!  Between about 10AM - 4PM saw maybe 15 caught total.  Definitely fish moving through but visibility was poorer than earlier in the week - maybe 6 - 8 ".  Left without touching a thing but still a great day out.

Slamdunk

« Reply #413 on: September 09, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »

Was out today Lower South Arm about 1:00, way before high tide influence, in fact I've never been out in such a low tide situation. Made walking the rocks a bit treacherous as they were all covered with silt, but just went slowly and steadily. Left my satchel of gear up top where the rocks were dry, just took my rod and net down to rivers edge.

Tried a pink "lighting" spoon for a hour and then switched to an orange Gibbs spoon and 2nd cast ! Fish on! A male, but with a slight hump only, and sea lice on it still. Nice and fresh. Iced it down on the spot and its going on the BBQ tomorrow.

Pinks are funny fish. There is no "strike" to speak of. I normally think I've snagged the bottom. And some don't take off - I'm thinking small females - yet others will give you a good run - thinking larger males. Still haven't brought any of the longer run ones to hand , so I'm just guessing.  Want do you think?

I've lost a few of the longer run ones and wonder if I haven't set my drag hard enough. How hard - on a scale on 1-10 do you set your drag?? I'm talking spin cast here.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

Have a great fishing weekend, not. Commercial scoopings have been extended to September 13th. >:(

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=135926&ID=all

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #415 on: September 09, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »

Have a great fishing weekend, not. Commercial scoopings have been extended to September 13th. >:(

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=135926&ID=all

That sucks. Still going to go out on Sunday though as its my only day to get out. Even if we spend most of the day out there I am going out.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #416 on: September 09, 2011, 07:32:18 PM »

That is really too bad.  I was hoping I could get my nephew into his first one this weekend :P

I wish they could do a little more to give us sporties a chance over the weekends.

Danny21

« Reply #417 on: September 09, 2011, 08:24:57 PM »

Hey guys just a couple of questions from a newbie to Pink fishing,  I have had a lot of success this year up around mission and most of the fish seem very fresh... a few of mine have had sea lice.. what is the time frame for sea lice to live once they have hit the river system? i was told that they cannot live longer then 12 hours once they enter.  True? 
secondly, one of the doe's I hooked into seemed very fresh until i noticed a hole on its back. the entire fish was firm except for the area around the hole which was very soft.  is this just from being foul hooked or is there another reason (paracite) ?

Thanks for your help!
-Dan

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #418 on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:48 PM »

Hey guys just a couple of questions from a newbie to Pink fishing,  I have had a lot of success this year up around mission and most of the fish seem very fresh... a few of mine have had sea lice.. what is the time frame for sea lice to live once they have hit the river system? i was told that they cannot live longer then 12 hours once they enter.  True? 
secondly, one of the doe's I hooked into seemed very fresh until i noticed a hole on its back. the entire fish was firm except for the area around the hole which was very soft.  is this just from being foul hooked or is there another reason (paracite) ?

Thanks for your help!
-Dan

if u took a hook to a spot on ur body u would have a sore too ! just cut around that spot and the fish will be fine to eat  !

Mr. Iban

« Reply #419 on: September 09, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »

Fished mid river in Pitt Meadows between 7 and 8:30 pm tonight. Quite a few fish rolling and jumping. Three caught and one lost. Not as good as the other day but still well worth it....