Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 275444 times)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #450 on: September 11, 2011, 09:05:47 PM »

Delta this morning, nothing. Derby Reach from about 9 - 4, nothing. Delta again from 6 to 8, nothing. Although I did manage to hook and play what I think was a trout, and a pike minnow, both were released. Pretty much the same thing yesterday. Will be heading out wednesday if Commercial closes and hope for the best!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Spyrogenes

« Reply #451 on: September 11, 2011, 09:08:19 PM »

Hi guys... Me and my dad fished for the pinks last monday (labour day) we were surprise how active and aggressive these pinks can be..we were able to hook 3 fish within 5mins at the south arm part of the river around 11-2pm before and after the peak of the high tide.. After the long weekend we came back on saturday same  time frame 2hrs before the tide but  there were only a few pinks biting... Then again we came back this sunday early morning and there was not a single nibble from them its was very frustrating.. we came back in the afternoon.. still no bites :-\ :-\ :-\  but we can see some "jumps" from the far side of the river...

So my question now is.. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Is that the end of the first wave of pinks? when is the next wave coming in? cause I know that these fishes are currently moving towards the spawning ground
Is there an external environmental factor(dredging)  that affects the pinks aggressive behaviour?

I hope next weekend they will be biting again just like on labour day

Thank you for your comments

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #452 on: September 11, 2011, 09:15:37 PM »

commercial openings have taken its toll on the lower fraser, which are on going till the 13th. Nets are not in the water between 9pm and 6am so I would say early morning is best chance to encounter more schools of fish moving through the lower fraser, unless you fish up towards mission you might find larger schools that came in through the night.

It's slow, we were out today for a few hours and only one school came by, and it wasn't very big at all gone in about 5 minutes

mike89

« Reply #453 on: September 11, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »

was out last wed on the upper river, our group was into lots of pinks and we landed one spring, headin out again tomm, we'll see how it goes

Spyrogenes

« Reply #454 on: September 11, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »

commercial openings have taken its toll on the lower fraser, which are on going till the 13th. Nets are not in the water between 9pm and 6am so I would say early morning is best chance to encounter more schools of fish moving through the lower fraser, unless you fish up towards mission you might find larger schools that came in through the night.

It's slow, we were out today for a few hours and only one school came by, and it wasn't very big at all gone in about 5 minutes

Ahh i see now.. so its not wave per wave of schools in a certain period of the month...  so sir your saying that every hour there are schools coming in the river?. Cause I've been constantly checking updates here and I have noticed people are posting that "pinks are biting here at pitt meadows, Langley, Surrey" so I have come to a conclusion that we have missed the first wave here at Richmond... Its my first time to fish here in Canada and it was an amazing experience  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #455 on: September 11, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »

well they push in with the tides, so in richmond best times are really around incoming tides, however further up river they may stage more or hold, or not arrive untill a low tide situation, etc.

Fishinglover

« Reply #456 on: September 11, 2011, 09:57:17 PM »

Thanks for the information!  Will go out again for sure Wed morning and evening - before work and after work...   

frozensalmon

« Reply #457 on: September 11, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »

hm that explains why I can't get more pinks during the day in Richmond.... was very productive a few days ago...
commercial opening ends 13th right?... awesome
more coho, more coho... ::)

Spyrogenes

« Reply #458 on: September 11, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »

awesome... now it makes sense to me now thank you very much I really appreciated your help  ;D ;D ;D

Ryan.maccie

« Reply #459 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »

Where to start... fished dump bar thursday between 5-7:00 buddy of mine, hooked 3, landed 2, otherwise didnt see much landed other than the guys snagging fish purposly at the end of the beach..

friday, Tried delta side of things, nothing on, no luck.

Saturday we hit dump bar again from 10am-7pm, only saw 4 fish landed out of the 50+ people out there.. 1by me, one by a buddy of mine, and 1 on ither far end of the beach, very few jumping/rising..

Sunday Hit Brownsville Bar/ River road spots/ Deas Island/ Dump bar, Nothing on by anyone anywhere from what I had witnessed..

Comercial is really taking a hit on us, especially with the way the tides are sitting, the comercial closes rite at the highst flood, than it drops, so were getting few fish entering the river, untill about 12:00am, at wich point they come in the river till about 6am, and can probably be fished untill 10:00am..  

On another note, the comercial boats are cleaning house out there, leaving us with **** all, was talking to a friend working on a boat, and in his words "Ten , to fifteen thousand pieces a set I guess that's why your not getting **** all, try by _________,we'll be loaded tomorrow,good luck buddy!!!"

Dfo's projections from what i just read is that there are about 17-20 million fish entering the river, and they are letting the comercial guys clean out just over 11 mill, than factor in the FN's... Things are starting to look ugly IMO..

The oppening ends at 6:00pm on the 13th, I wont be even TRYING again untill the 15th..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:02:44 PM by Ryan.maccie »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #460 on: September 11, 2011, 10:41:03 PM »

Nina and I just finished this today. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAIqI5rFZv8

1son

« Reply #461 on: September 11, 2011, 11:45:10 PM »

Awesome video Rod the picture quality is pretty good what kind of camera are u using if u don't mind me asking....

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #462 on: September 12, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »

You tried to horse the first one in. :P

I see you grab the bottom of your rod backwards like I do to fight the fish.

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #463 on: September 12, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »

When does the season end? only got into one pink and with the commercial fishing going on Im not heading out. Will there stilll be a good run of fish after the commercial fisheries clean up shop

anorden

« Reply #464 on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:33 AM »

Dfo's projections from what i just read is that there are about 17-20 million fish entering the river, and they are letting the comercial guys clean out just over 11 mill, than factor in the FN's... Things are starting to look ugly IMO..

Technically commercials have "priority" over sport anglers on allocation of pink, chum and socks.

Sport anglers get priority for allocation of coho and chinook. This is a major foundation of all of DFOs decisions on commercial openings etc.

Realistically we cant expect to have priority on all 5 species!