Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 276956 times)

gofishon

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #480 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »

Apparently there is an opening today ( until when? ) for the American commercial seine fleet.  ::) They are out in earnest this morning along the 49th parallel near Pt. Roberts intercepting the Fraser River Pinks. More frustration for us Sporties. I wonder if anything made it up the river mouth on this flood tide?  ??? We'll get some reports soon, I guess.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #481 on: September 13, 2011, 09:46:41 AM »

Apparently there is an opening today ( until when? ) for the American commercial seine fleet.  ::) They are out in earnest this morning along the 49th parallel near Pt. Roberts intercepting the Fraser River Pinks. More frustration for us Sporties. I wonder if anything made it up the river mouth on this flood tide?  ??? We'll get some reports soon, I guess.

Fortunately, the Pacific Salmon Commission has estimated that "The recent pink salmon Johnstone Strait diversion rate is estimated to be 83%."
http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2011/Announcement24.pdf

That means that most of the pinks are coming down the inside instead around the bottom of the Island.

dmoney

« Reply #482 on: September 13, 2011, 09:54:22 AM »

Fished down at Rodneys Rock 2-6.30 the was a small push of fish around 3.30 no biters exept 1 guy then it died down then another push of fish at 5 lost 2 and landed 1

Nice fresh fish!

D$

gofishon

« Reply #483 on: September 13, 2011, 10:20:26 AM »

Fortunately, the Pacific Salmon Commission has estimated that "The recent pink salmon Johnstone Strait diversion rate is estimated to be 83%."
http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2011/Announcement24.pdf

That means that most of the pinks are coming down the inside instead around the bottom of the Island.

You are right that the Americans are at a disadvantage to intercept them this year, but many Pinks don't go straight up the river as they approach the mouth. They tend to stage for a few days and will usually end up south of the coal docks on the ebb. That's when the seiners get them.:(

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #484 on: September 13, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »

I have been out almost every day since last week and its been dismal - not even a pale shadow of last season :(   At least its been good to get out in the evenings to watch the sunset while fishing.

buzzer

« Reply #485 on: September 13, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »

I have been out almost every day since last week and its been dismal - not even a pale shadow of last season :(   At least its been good to get out in the evenings to watch the sunset while fishing.

Same here Fishseeker.  I'm a little frustrated about those outings last week as I even took a week off last week just to fish as well  :(. I guess it's the wrong week to take off.  Considering that gas prices are high nowadays as well,  I'm a little hesistant of going.  I was trying to move around river areas in Richmond just to see if there are signs of fish. 

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #486 on: September 13, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »

I was out around high-tide on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in south Richmond & Ladner and it was slim pickings. Was able to hook one or two each day, so I haven’t been skunked yet, but it’s been pretty slow.

My best day on the Fraser was actually on Labour Day Monday, where I was into about a dozen, which was fun. Never fished for pinks in the lower Fraser, so I don’t know what it’s been like in the past. You won’t hear me complaining though. The fact that I  can drive less than 20 minutes and have a good chance of getting into one is an arrangement I’ll gladly take any day of the week. I guess all we can do is keep heading out there and hope the commercial harvest ends sooner rather than later.

Oilcruzer

« Reply #487 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »

Was out last night - upper - 5 hook, seeking a spring.
Got four pinks (2humpies/2does) on instead (and returned them to safely to swim another day)

Seriously Pinks... go for the smaller hooks.... although you did make for some excitement  ;D

mike89

« Reply #488 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »

was on upper fraser yesterday, lots of pinks rolling around and getting caught, couple sockeye caught and seen a nice 6-7 ft sturgeon playing around in all them pinks

lots2learn

« Reply #489 on: September 13, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »

Port man area, 5.00 - 7.00   Caught two this evening on the incoming tide. No where near as many as last week but happy to keep the smoker busy ;D. Pink megawatt hasnt let me down.

greese30

« Reply #490 on: September 14, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »

many caught near mission last night.  the fish are in.  enjoy the time.  i keep taking out my kids with neighbor kids.  what a treat this fishery is for parents and youngsters

Zackattack

« Reply #491 on: September 14, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »

Was out an hour before high tide near 5rd in richmond until a half hour after high tide tonight and tonnes were rolling/splashing around for the first bit. Seemed to die right after I got there and none caught. Will try to get out maybe 2.5-3 hours before high tide next time. A whole lot more fish around than mon night... I thot the Commy fishery was extended?

RiverRunner

« Reply #492 on: September 14, 2011, 09:03:34 PM »

^ Where's " 5rd " ?

Was at derby tonight, tons rolling and jumping but seems as if they  were all out to far. Didn't see anything landed from 5 - 7
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:19:29 PM by RiverRunner »

Ryan.maccie

« Reply #493 on: September 14, 2011, 09:05:29 PM »

Was out an hour before high tide near 5rd in richmond until a half hour after high tide tonight and tonnes were rolling/splashing around for the first bit. Seemed to die right after I got there and none caught. Will try to get out maybe 2.5-3 hours before high tide next time. A whole lot more fish around than mon night... I thot the Commy fishery was extended?

you sure?

I was there between 6:30-7:45 tonight, standing pretty much ontop of "Rodney rock" and i saw very little moving, no hits, no fun..

Zackattack

« Reply #494 on: September 14, 2011, 11:02:56 PM »

5rd is # 5 road road in richmond. I was just aways west of there off the bank. Ya was there from 6 pm -730. from about 6-630 when i first got there, there was tonnes of fish! couldnt believe i didnt get one! dont know where rodney rock is haha
Is the commercial pink fishery still going?