Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 276937 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #495 on: September 14, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »

dont know where rodney rock is haha

I carried it home with me, it's sitting right here until tomorrow. ;)

Commercial seine fishery is happening until Friday 9pm, unless extended in the next notice.

gofishon

« Reply #496 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »

Oh ya, the commercials were out again today. Most down South of Sandheads, but there were some up towards the North Arm to start the day. They were circling around, apparently not finding any large target schools to drop on top of. I'm thinking the seiners are near the end of their run. Friday should be their last kick at the can. I just hope they left a few for us.

gofishon

« Reply #497 on: September 14, 2011, 11:39:34 PM »

There was a Fraser River panel meeting today, but no new notices as a result. There was a large bump      ( 2nd largest test catch this year in area 12) of Pinks caught on Sept. 9 in Johnson Strait. Those are 90% Fraser River bound. They will be here soon, if they can avoid the commercial pressure. We can always hope.

salmonsushi

« Reply #498 on: September 14, 2011, 11:41:24 PM »

I was at Richmond 5rd from 6-7 tonight. Saw some jumping. Landed one nice chrome female. Someone helped me to net it  ;D So happy
Ate part of it tonight, froze some of it for salmon sashimi, and now soaking the roes for ikura.
Scrapped off the meat from the bone for salmon sandwich tmr. Nothing goes to waste  ;)

Btw, the ships seem to be much further from the Richmond shore today. They were not in the middle. They were very close to the other side of the river today.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:43:45 PM by salmonsushi »

Zackattack

« Reply #499 on: September 15, 2011, 12:15:51 AM »

thats great news @gofishon, hopefully those fish will come after the weekend once the seiners go away...
ya tonight seemed like a lot of fish, like i said ive been out a lot recently and although not getting into any there was noticeably alot more fish..
@salmonsushi  ya way to go using up all the fish! ahah my gf always steels the roe to freeze!

btw im usually around fin slough in the eevening with a backwards white canucks hat, my names zack, might see u guys out sun or mon

tight lines

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #500 on: September 15, 2011, 06:28:01 AM »

I was at Richmond 5rd from 6-7 tonight. Saw some jumping. Landed one nice chrome female. Someone helped me to net it  ;D So happy
Ate part of it tonight, froze some of it for salmon sashimi, and now soaking the roes for ikura.
Scrapped off the meat from the bone for salmon sandwich tmr. Nothing goes to waste  ;)

Btw, the ships seem to be much further from the Richmond shore today. They were not in the middle. They were very close to the other side of the river today.
You are one of the few people I have heard of who use the roe for that purpose.   Fortunately for me, my wife is Japanese and she does an awesome ikura with soya and "combo" (a specific kind of seaweed).

I finally got a nice one last night after many more prior "skunker" evenings (A male so no roe unfortunately).   Nice when it happens.

frozensalmon

« Reply #501 on: September 15, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »

You are one of the few people I have heard of who use the roe for that purpose.   Fortunately for me, my wife is Japanese and she does an awesome ikura with soya and "combo" (a specific kind of seaweed).

I finally got a nice one last night after many more prior "skunker" evenings (A male so no roe unfortunately).   Nice when it happens.

dude I need your wife's help
so many times I got roe from the salmon that I want to make them ikura.... everytime I failed to make so
so is it just putting the whole clean roe into the freezer and after the night , take it out and let it cool down to room temp and is good to go?

more coho, more coho... ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #502 on: September 15, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »

so many times I got roe from the salmon that I want to make them ikura.... everytime I failed to make so
so is it just putting the whole clean roe into the freezer and after the night , take it out and let it cool down to room temp and is good to go?

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22519.0

frozensalmon

« Reply #503 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22519.0

thx Rodney

in his post he mentioned put in the fridge, so not freezer necessarily?
more coho, more coho... ::)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #504 on: September 15, 2011, 01:14:43 PM »

Two seasons back I put a recipe in the fish kitchen and I see Rodney has provided the link already :)

Its actually not hard to do at all.   We do the prep first then put it in the freezer.  Personally I don't like to bother separating them from the skeins and, even in Japan, there is a choice between eating it with skeins or without.

I am always horrified when I see people throwing Salmon Roe away - its a delicacy! The best part of the whole fish in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:21:33 PM by fishseeker »

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #505 on: September 15, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »

Im going to take a look at the north arm tonight after work.. hopefully some fish are coming through there now!

drock31

« Reply #506 on: September 15, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »

If I have tommorow off I am gonna try the morning tide and see if any came in over night

gofishon

« Reply #507 on: September 15, 2011, 05:20:17 PM »

drock31 and small_fish, I am hoping you both will report your success on this forum so I can put my chores aside (again) to head out soon and try for Pinks. Looking for any excuse right now. ::) Thanks.

brysonk

« Reply #508 on: September 15, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »

went after work today in abbotsford from 1:30 to 4 and got my limit. Some guys were just leaving as I got there and said it was slow  ??? once i figured out what depth they were at and the speed they were willing to chase it's was every other cast almost.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #509 on: September 15, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »

Some much bigger pushes of fish in the last few incoming tides in the Tidal Fraser after a week of dismal results. This weekend should be very good...