Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 260267 times)

greese30

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #645 on: September 20, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »

defnitely a drop in fish -- those test fisheries don't lie and from what i saw at the mouth of the vedder tonite, many anglers would echo the pink decrease compared to last week.

noobfisher

« Reply #646 on: September 20, 2011, 07:28:43 PM »

No, the lure was placed on the fish just for the photo. Thanks for your concern.

:)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #647 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »

What is everyone's gear to fish ratio for pinks?  On Sunday, I lost 8 jigs and landed 2 fish (the 2nd one on a spoon after I lost my last jig). 

matrix111

« Reply #648 on: September 20, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »

Still new in Fraser river fishing. When you guys say upper/lower fraser which part of the fraser is it?

Upper= richmond
lower= mission

???

I was at derby this afternoon and skunked for the 3rd time. But in fairness, I have not seen anyone landed a fish there today.   I might try it again after the commercial fisheries are done.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #649 on: September 20, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »

I think approximately:

Lower = Richmond to Surrey
Mid = Langley to Mission
Upper = Chilliwack to Hope

What is everyone's gear to fish ratio for pinks?  On Sunday, I lost 8 jigs and landed 2 fish (the 2nd one on a spoon after I lost my last jig).

On the season I think I lost about one piece for every 8 - 10 fish

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #650 on: September 20, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »

1 Fish for every 4-5 lure losses. Be it spoons, spinners, or simple yarn bead corkie rigs. But this is my first year, and Ive already gotten better at dealing with snags and knowing depth of retrieve, and I expect I will only learn more as I go. Although, I had 1 fish that ate a spoon! Played him/her for about 20 seconds and then the line snapped somewhere in the water. Thats what I get for using the same lure to catch 3 other fish an not retying the knot eh?
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #651 on: September 20, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »

I think I am around 5 fish to 1 spinner. A couple have fallen apart due to too many fish hooked.

I've been using two rods, 1 expensive spinning outfit I put together for fall coho and 1 that someone left behind from a rental suite that I was just using a second backup but for some reason this rod is a pink magnet and fishing out my other rod by 10:1

Mr. Iban

« Reply #652 on: September 20, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »

Mid river - One roller, no jumpers, but still caught 6. Hooked three others but lost them. Most were very very large chrome males.....

drock31

« Reply #653 on: September 20, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »

I have lost quite a few fishing at derby reach and have not hooked and there so I stopped going. Richmond and delta area I learned to bring my rod tip up as I get close to shore and have not lost many.

anorden

« Reply #654 on: September 20, 2011, 09:03:25 PM »

I have lost about 5, found 2 plus a head torch and a couple of nice floats! Taken about 10 fish this year so pretty good average really.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #655 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »

I have lost count on the number of fish caught this season, but I have gone through a half dozen clousers that became too tattered and had to retire.  I am still on my first bugger pattern and it is holding up so far.  Of course I am stripping the clouser hooks and retying them with Chum patterns so I will be ready for October.  Fly fishing is the way to go, especially if you tie your own.
Not all those who wander are lost

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #656 on: September 20, 2011, 09:49:07 PM »

I have lost count on the number of fish caught this season, but I have gone through a half dozen clousers that became too tattered and had to retire.  I am still on my first bugger pattern and it is holding up so far.  Of course I am stripping the clouser hooks and retying them with Chum patterns so I will be ready for October.  Fly fishing is the way to go, especially if you tie your own.

I agree. I am disappointed I didnt get into Flys earlier in the spring, so I could take Pinks on them. Apparently one of the best fish to learn to fly on. But my girlfriend told me today I could get her a Fly Tying beginners kit for Christmas, so thats kind of awesome! But I wish I could have learned on this run and then the Chums.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

sculpin

« Reply #657 on: September 20, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »

landed 3, lost ~10 spinners/spoons, not happy  :'(
btw, got all my bites on silver spinners until i lost all of them
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:06:28 PM by sculpin »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #658 on: September 20, 2011, 10:29:21 PM »

I think the gear loss has a lot to do with where you fish as well - I fish Langley area and for the 20 or 30 pinks this year, I lost 1 spinner (that a friend didn't close his snap swivel, so user error) and 1 buzz bomb that I gave away as I was outfishing the guys croc 5 to 1.  I'm still using the buzz bomb I bought in the '09 season...
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

sculpin

« Reply #659 on: September 20, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »

Just fished at 5rd Richmond from 6-8pm. LOTS of fish jumping. Almost one fish jumps every second when the tide started coming in. No kidding. BUT, no one caught any fish. There were 5 of us in that area. No one hook onto anything. Apparently the fish don't want to bite  ???

i've been at 3rd road at the same time and it was the same story
saw only one guy that was fly fishing hooked one, not sure if landed
i got one bite, hooked and landed but that was all, and the fish were jumping right under my nose but i could not interest them in anything