Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano river  (Read 38546 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
The Cap
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »

It's official, she's blown!

Went to check it out and as I'm sure all the fish at the mouth hve entered, it's virtually unfishable IMO, wayyy too high (to put it in perspective look at the cap cam on vankayak.org) too fast and too dirty in certain parts where the mud bank has washed out (under the footbridge at the top of cable) hopefully The resprvoir empties a bunch so the river calms down in a few days
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:30:09 PM by fishunter »

jobber604

Re: Capilano river
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »

Saw chromes in the pool ;)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »

haha, as did i. but at the current water level you'd have more luck at ambleside duck pond.

jizza

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »

are there any fish at the mouth? or have they all gone in

jobber604

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2011, 12:39:01 PM »

Cetain there are since there were about a dozen boats trolling near the mouth of the river as I drove along the Lions Gate.

BCLAX

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »

Just need that one big rainfall

jobber604

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »

and here's the rain ;)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2011, 12:11:56 AM »

by next weekend i think every last fish will be in the river, at this rate she should blow right out by wednesday. did anyone see the last time it blew out? haha, woah was it ever something...

DanNagt

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2011, 07:40:01 PM »

Spent 5 hours on the Capilano today from 1:30 to 6:30pm - first time ever.

Found some decent pools there and the water level looked pretty good from the water-lines I saw on shore rocks. It was wonderfully clear too; you could see to the bottom for quite a ways. Got soaked trying to get to/from one of the pools but kept fishing regardless the shivers and numb feet. It's a water sport right?

Plenty of fish jumping (wow huge!) and swimming past though nothing would bite. I tried several lures over the course of the day - silver/orange and silver/blue spoons, brass, copper and silver spinners with nothing taking interest at all. 4 other guys (2 spin, 1 float, 1 fly) didn't have any takers either.

Finally stopped as it began to rain hard and light was dimming.

scotiansense

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »

I fished there today from 7:30 - 11:00. Shortfloated artificial eggs (pink & orange), colorados (silver & gold), yarn (peach & orange) and tossed a few blades (silver/orange & silver/green) with no takers. Linked up with a large spring while fishing a yellow rooster tail under a float late morning but broke off after battling for 10 minutes in a piece of fast water. There are plenty of fish in there, but didn't see any others hooked - they're a picky bunch.

jobber604

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »

I hope someone catches that chinook with an orange/charteuse spool hooked on the side of the mouth. Keep an eye out for that one in the system this year.
Wasn't me but I see that fish jump and shake it's head with the spoon rattling.

DanNagt

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »

Fished there again today from 7:30 (dawn) - 12:00 during scattered rain showers. Shortfloated and spun colorados (silver & green-holo) and tossed (and lost) a few blades (silver & silver/orange) still with no takers. Rod's report today is pretty bang on - low water level and fish that have been there a while. Lots of the jumpers were pretty dark, some with white patches on their sides/bellies/tops, pretty beat up from their runs so far. Even saw a smaller one with barely a tail left.  :-\

Highlight of the morning - saw a beautiful trout swim calmly right past me in crystal clear and smooth water. It made for enjoying this area all the better.  ;D

Also.. over today and yesterday pulled out a couple of handfuls of heavy test mono, a spin-n-glow setup and an abandoned fishing net. Leaving the place cleaner that when I went.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:31:15 PM by DanNagt »

JPW

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2011, 08:35:10 AM »

Looks like the cap has sprung a leak again!!!  :o http://www.vankayak.org/capcam/

TyCrane

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:07 AM »

aye... she's blown

4TheKids

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »

There are places that can be fished when wier is at 7 or even 8 (and I don't mean the cable pool). I landed and released a nice wild Coho this afternnon and had what was likely a Spring on for a couple of seconds.

This is only my third year fishing the Cap so I am no expert but this year the fishing seems more difficult. Last year there were a couple of good pushes of Springs but not this year. There are definately some Springs in the system but they just are not interested in anything. Have I missed something or are others having the same experience?