Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano river  (Read 38547 times)

joy-of-fishing

Re: Capilano river
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2011, 08:35:02 AM »

Their are fish in the river, last year I did also find there was definetely more springs and bigger pushes during rain. I know the first nations are coming up from the mouth and snagging in the river at night which could be why the bite has turned off. It has been slower for coho as well, but im glad to see quite a bit of pinks this year in the river.

kindalonismo

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »

Their are fish in the river, last year I did also find there was definetely more springs and bigger pushes during rain. I know the first nations are coming up from the mouth and snagging in the river at night which could be why the bite has turned off. It has been slower for coho as well, but im glad to see quite a bit of pinks this year in the river.

I noticed that last week as well, picked up a bunch of what look like 50-100lb test mono and pieces of net where I was fishing.

c-pin

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2011, 09:42:06 AM »

CAUTION: Politically Incorrect Reply to this thread.

I have fished the Capilano River for about 23 years. This is a tough river to fish. It's all dependent on the tides, water levels (due to the dam), and fishing pressure (including the obstacle course set up by the FN fishery).

The Capilano River is like a woman: one day she's hot to trot, and giving you everything she's got;  the next day, she turns you down cold. You have to spend time on the river to know her moods, likes, dislikes, and wants. The more time and effort you spend on the river, the more you will get to know her, and say "Forget it. I'm off to the Vedder".  ;D ;D
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

jacked55

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »

C-pin, nice anology. i wonder what the current divorce rate of the capilano river is? from hearing all her angry moods i havent even tried to enter her area to try my luck.

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »

I saw them last week in mid day snagging and keeping over 20 springs out of the lower river... 2 of them.

masaville

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2011, 10:16:23 AM »

Setting a fine example, whoever they are.  Sunday morning there was garbage and beer cans littering the entire shore halfway up the river.  Pretty classless whoever did that.

jacked55

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »

this might be a noob-ish question, but are FN allowed to intentionally snag? or are they "allegedly" doing this illegaly?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »

this might be a noob-ish question, but are FN allowed to intentionally snag? or are they "allegedly" doing this illegaly?
FN are allowed to intentionally snag.

BCLAX

« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »

I have fished the Capilano River for about 23 years. This is a tough river to fish. It's all dependent on the tides, water levels (due to the dam), and fishing pressure (including the obstacle course set up by the FN fishery).

The Capilano River is like a woman: one day she's hot to trot, and giving you everything she's got;  the next day, she turns you down cold. You have to spend time on the river to know her moods, likes, dislikes, and wants. The more time and effort you spend on the river, the more you will get to know her, and say "Forget it. I'm off to the Vedder".  ;D ;D

So true

JPW

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »

FN are allowed to intentionally snag.

That doesn't seem right.  I thought they were allowed to use whatever methods on their land, but still had to follow the regs on public land?

JPW

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »

Love it!  She's certainly been a moody mistress for me this year!

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »

Saw someone with a spinning rod lugging out a Spring on Capilano road this evening under the freeway over pass

anorden

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

That doesn't seem right.  I thought they were allowed to use whatever methods on their land, but still had to follow the regs on public land?

Well thats the point - they claim it is their land so they "harvest" using any method they feel like. Until their land claim gets settled and / or DFO grow some b4lls then they will continue to  "fish" in this manner.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

Water level has dropped to very reasonable level and quite a few fresh fish have entered the system of course. The next couple of days should be good for anyone who decides to head out.

TyCrane

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »

did you have any luck out there today rod?
saw you guys getting ready as i was leaving with a nice fresh coho :)