Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Birkenhead Lake Camping  (Read 3509 times)

kindalonismo

Birkenhead Lake Camping
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »

Hi guys,

I am heading up to Birkenhead Lake for the first time this weekend for some camping and hopefully a bit of fishing.  The Parks sight says theres Kokanee in the lake?  Any suggestions on some possible fishing in the area (River's, ect?)  Wouldn't mind trying to find some salmon to fish for up there too?  Set-up suggestions?

The site is always a great help and wanted to reach out to you guys, Thanks in advance, R  ;D 

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Birkenhead Lake Camping
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »

Blackwater Lake (Forestry Service site) on the way up.. some nice looking trout that I've never managed to connect with.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »

Fished Birkenhead a lot in the late 80's early 90's. Try trolling flies or kokanee gear on the left hand side as you are heading away from the campsite. Also toss flies by sockeye creek on the right hand side. Caught some big rainbows and bulltrout in the mouth of the creek. As for kokanee, they are pretty small.
Go for the big rainbows and bull's
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

jimmywits

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »

Blackwater Lake (Forestry Service site) on the way up.. some nice looking trout that I've never managed to connect with.
  x2 Lots of nice trout in there, I have had very productive days in there using all the old standby flies. Very scenic also.
I have'nt heard how Gates lake is fishing, but there used to be big fish in there.

kindalonismo

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »

Thanks for all the great feedback guys!  Looking forward to getting out this weekend, cheers!

firebird

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »

Note that all bull trout must be released in Birkenhead Lake. Be sure to check the Regulations before you go http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_region2.pdf

kindalonismo

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:39:39 AM »

Note that all bull trout must be released in Birkenhead Lake. Be sure to check the Regulations before you go http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_region2.pdf

Cheers Firebird, I was going to check the reg's tonight with my pre-trip planning.  Thanks for the link :)