Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 3rd 2011  (Read 3517 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Tidal Fraser River, September 3rd 2011
« on: September 03, 2011, 12:10:19 PM »

After yesterday's dismal performance, it was time to regroup for a fresh start this morning. I had intended to get up early to be on the rocks making my first cast at 7:30am. When I opened my eyes and looked at the clock, it said 8:00am. ::) I immediately phoned Fishersak, who was already down by the river since 6:30am. Lots of fish rising he reported, but nothing at the end of everyone's line apparently. It was nice to get another hour of sleep and find out that I hadn't missed much. ;D

I quickly packed the car and arrived at the spot at 8:30am. Gotta love pink salmon season when one doesn't have to travel far to find fish. :) A few dozen people were already trying their luck, but overall it seemed to be pretty quiet. A few risers could be seen in the far horizon at times.

My chosen lure for the morning was a spinner that I have made. After catching one a couple of days ago with it, I decided to stick with it and see if it would produce more. I've always used "the spoon" in the past and had great success. This year, since water clarity is poor, a spinner may just do the trick.

We cast and retrieved for another hour without much success. Meanwhile, a few fish were being caught further away from us. Slightly frustrated, I decided that there had to be a change. I decided to move to a different spot, just 50ft from where I was, because I thought the pylons in the water nearby are making a difference on how fish were travelling. I also decided to switch back to my spoon. By this point, at 9:30am, fish were rolling on the surface consistently. There was definitely a good push of fish in the system now.

I made a few cast and adjusted the retrieve speed during every cast. Finally there was a good take, and the sight of that bent rod was a big relief. It felt like a fairly heavy fish, which stayed pretty deep down during the entire fight. Based on the way it was fighting, I thought it was another male at first. It then proved me wrong by making a giant leap in front of me, it was clearly a female fish, a rather big one. Fishersak ran over and assisted me with the netting. It took a few attempts due to the steep and slippery terrain that we were standing on, but the job was done at the end.

When I unhooked the fish, I was shocked to find this. :o It's hard to believe how this hook was staying in the fish during the entire fight.

As if it was orchestrated, the phone rang. It was Nina asking how the fishing was and of course she was not pleased about staying home and missing the action. When she hung up the phone, I made another cast and I felt another soft take instantly. I set the hook hard and the rod was bent to the cork once again. Once again, Fishersak ran over to be the netter. It was another good sized female fish that fought even harder than the first one. It took several long runs that almost made me question if it was actually a sockeye salmon. After tiring it out for a few minutes, Fishersak was able to scoop it up successfully again. :)

After the second fish went into the cooler, the school seemed to have gone by. I decided to pack it up by 10:30am and save more better fishing for later on. It was not a bad morning excursion after all. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 3rd 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »

Well done

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »

Glad someone had some luck this morning. I only foul hooked a small doe around 8am this morning. Definatly a decent push of fish came through but were not very willing to bite. Will have to make the five minute trek from home later today. I love being able to say that ;D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »

Went into my usual spot in the surrey area since I had a bunch of various metals I wanted to cash in at the recyclers near the pattullo bridge. Lots of people fishing up at brownsville but my spot was empty, as usual. A few fish swimming through, wouldn't say there was a lot but enough to make you wonder why you weren't connecting with them. Fished for about an hour, had to get back home before noon.

Fisherama

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »

Decided to wet the line right down in new west where I live.  Been fishing/snoozing for a few hours now, nothing to show for it yet.  About a dozen people out here now and haven't seen any hookups yet.  A few springs jumping off in the distance though.

staffy

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »

Nice job Rod, but...............how you cook the the pink salmon, I never try before.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »

Thanks for the nice report Rodney :)

I was out at New West at 7am this morning with the idea that I would fish the entire incoming tide from start to finish. It was very slow early in the morning so I gave up around 8 and took a walk down the entire length of New West Quay.  Started to get excited when I noticed the number of risers steadily increasing as the time approached 9am.

Got back to my spot at 9:30am and saw a guy landing one so I immediately geared up and started casting.  Got a few light taps but no committed bites in spite of everything I was throwing out at them.  Tried different speeds, different depths, different colors.  Eventually I switched to a purple spin-n-glo in the hope that they would be able to see that in the poor visibility. First  cast, fish on and I managed to get it right onto the shore only to have it roll and slip me before I could get my mitts on it.

After that - nothing doing.  It was a great morning but I really want to get one -  gotta try the again on the incoming tide tonight.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »

Nice report Rod!  I hooked and landed my first pink of the year - a decent sized male that went on a couple of nice 50 foot runs.  Sure is fun on a trout rod.  I caught it a slack high tide, on a homemade bright orange 1/4oz spoon with a strip of silver reflective tape on the inside, scented with Pro Cure Herring Super Gel.  Saw much more fish today then last weekend.  Water clarity is still garbage, but can't wait to fish the incoming tide again tomorrow.

gheart008

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »

Went out to the south arm today for 2 hours with my dad, and nothing.  Saw two fish landed the entire time, so it was super slow for everyone there.  Hoping the water will clear up soon.

Rod: May I ask where you get your bright pink stickers from?  I have a few spoons that are just plain silver colour and want to slap on some bright reflective stickers to make them more noticable.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »

wife and myself were down near Steveston, for a couple hours this afternoon, nothing much was happening. Then stopped at sapperton, noticed some cops out on the dock? moved on to another spot near the bridge , saw fish ,but no luck.

heading out again tomorrow am, early.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:00:31 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:14:52 PM »

I'd say its only gonna get better ! was out in a boat anchored by alex fraser and hooked and released 4 big males and lost alot of others near the boat ! then buddy's bro phoned and wanted to be picked, then i died off ! that was about 11 am

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 08:39:55 PM »

Just got back, fish were everywhere tonight. Schools were constant from 6pm onward. Hooked around ten, landed three and kept two, all males. The females always seem to pop off at my feet for some reason, guess I am not much of a ladies man ;D Visablity was better at around 16 inches. Good night to be out ;)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »

My son and I went down to the Haney warf just too see what was going on and the onlt thing we saw was one sturgeon jump and thats it. There seemed to be a few people over at  derby reach and a few people in boats but only 3 people fishing at the warf. Really quiet for this time of year.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 10:32:11 PM »

Here are a few pictures from the Haney warf.

Looking over to derby reach

A couple of guys moving around trying to find that magic spot.

A couple of boats upstream from the warf

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

mistermongz

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »

Nice Report Rod!

Me and 4 buddies fished an area where they have had success in the past. We started fishing around 430 no fish just yet. We wait and 2 hrs go by then fish starts surfacing and jumping in front of us over our line just showing themselves. 20 minutes go by and no one is catching any. I switch over to my fly rod and start casting then bang FISH ON buddy is into one brought it in close by we find out it's foul hook right on the top of its head, tried to net it so we can release it and pop goes the hook. Good 2-3 minutes goes by another buddy gets into one brought it in after a few good runs and its a nice male. Now i was like OK i gotta change up my fly and so i go into the fly box grab me my nice shrimp pattern looking thing.

A few cast later, strip strip strip felt something heavy, strip one more time and then FISH ON I'm into a fish. He slammed it pretty good burned my finger a little while he took line. While I'm fighting my fish buddy hooks into one and we got ourselves a double header but he lost him after a couple of runs. but I'm still on one and he took some massive runs going left, right all over the place buddies  couldn't even fish hehehe :P ::) then finally i was able to guide him into my buddy who was holding the net and it was a male and has a fairly good size hump so i said he gets to get on with it and i released him with care. It was a great day of fishing My first pink ever and it was on the FLY it was awesome.

Sorry Rod for jacking your thread :D
Fish on!!!