Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 6th 2011  (Read 2854 times)

mistermongz

Tidal Fraser River, September 6th 2011
« on: September 06, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »

was out at 830 at a spot i thought might produce so is at there for half an hour watching the water then one by one fish starts to roll near shore. I'm talking 10-20 feet away some 5 feet away so i get the fly out and start casting half an hour goes by nothing. There's tons of fish but nothing hitting my fly i switch up to gear and start casting spoons, another half an hour goes by nothing. Tide starts to slow down by then getting ready to come in. My buddy shows up and within 20 mins of him casting fish on.  :o >:( i was like WTF. LOL he gets a nice fresh male, he decides to keep it. I switch up to my fly again but this time a pink crazy charlie goes on. I cast for another half an hour now tide has slacked and i had a quick take on my fly but it was gone. Now i am frustrated, i take a break have a smoke and go back to gear. After my quick smoke i start chucking the spoon out again after a few cast BANG FISH ON! ;D ;D ;D. Man was i happy Fish peels line and goes all over the place....caught up to him and once he felt bottom he starts darting out towards the middle and i can see this thing was a male and was just zipping around on the surface. He get's tired a little and then i start to bring him in and as i bring him in i feel my line goes slack. This fish starts coming towards me so i reel up frantically and i finally catch up to him and i was able to beach him. My second pink ever and he is chrome as it can be. Sorry I have a picture but buddy took a nice background shot of where we were so i'd rather not post  :P ::). I kept fishing for another hour and buddy hooks in to a Jack Coho for a bit but he lost it. All in all i'd say it was a good day, I got a nice tan  ;D ;D ;D
Fish on!!!

gheart008

Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 6th 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »

was out at 830 at a spot i thought might produce so is at there for half an hour watching the water then one by one fish starts to roll near shore. I'm talking 10-20 feet away some 5 feet away so i get the fly out and start casting half an hour goes by nothing. There's tons of fish but nothing hitting my fly i switch up to gear and start casting spoons, another half an hour goes by nothing. Tide starts to slow down by then getting ready to come in. My buddy shows up and within 20 mins of him casting fish on.  :o >:( i was like WTF. LOL he gets a nice fresh male, he decides to keep it. I switch up to my fly again but this time a pink crazy charlie goes on. I cast for another half an hour now tide has slacked and i had a quick take on my fly but it was gone. Now i am frustrated, i take a break have a smoke and go back to gear. After my quick smoke i start chucking the spoon out again after a few cast BANG FISH ON! ;D ;D ;D. Man was i happy Fish peels line and goes all over the place....caught up to him and once he felt bottom he starts darting out towards the middle and i can see this thing was a male and was just zipping around on the surface. He get's tired a little and then i start to bring him in and as i bring him in i feel my line goes slack. This fish starts coming towards me so i reel up frantically and i finally catch up to him and i was able to beach him. My second pink ever and he is chrome as it can be. Sorry I have a picture but buddy took a nice background shot of where we were so i'd rather not post  :P ::). I kept fishing for another hour and buddy hooks in to a Jack Coho for a bit but he lost it. All in all i'd say it was a good day, I got a nice tan  ;D ;D ;D

Nice.  Ya it was friggen hot today.  Got a sunglasses tan on my face just from being out for a few hours this morning.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:21:55 PM »

2 in Pitt Meadows today, both released, many bites
all from noon on
also got 10lb of blackberries

mistermongz

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »

ya seemed like middle of summer instead of being early sept. hahah Racoon eyes for the WIN! 8)
Fish on!!!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »

It was INSANE today at one of 'my' spots.  West of the Port Mann and East of Richmond, lol.

Everyone fishing this little stretch were in to fish consistently for hours.  I was a bit frustrated for the first hour or so.  Lost three of my money lures while others were bringing them in.  Its funny when confidence gets low and you second guess your retrieve and presentation on every retrieve.  Then that first one gets bagged, you relax and enjoy each cast with anticipation.  Limited out over the course of the next two hours (losts of missed strikes and long line releases) and came home.  Watched one guy box 6-8 fish and was still going after I left.

Funny, only pink lures seemed to work for me today.  They just wouldn't touch red, blue, green, orange...

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »

I stopped by the river for an hour before today and got using a chartreuse colored croc.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »

I fished the last hour of incoming tide and an hour of high slack tide today.  I got my limit (1 female, 3 males) in about an hour and a half; the wife got 2 more - I also lost 4 others after good battles in the process of getting my limit.  All fish were caught using the same method, same time, same lure as the previous few days.  By far the most fish I've seen this year - they were everywhere the whole time we were out.  What a gorgeous day!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »

It seems like there isn't a clear pattern when these fish are moving through the estuary this year, which I think it quite fun actually because there's always a surprise everyday. Today we decided to go down to the river just before the tide peaked and other anglers reported no sightings of fish prior to our arrival. When the tide peaked, the odd fish started showing themselves. Soon after I felt a couple of taps. Nina proceeded to make her first cast and hooked up immediately. I then hooked a couple after netting her fish. In total we hooked three fish each. The bite was steady until 5:00pm but died down after that, unlike yesterday and last Sunday. Water clarity looks pretty good too.

What's better than catching a pink salmon? The cold shower afterward of course. ;)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:50:02 PM by Rodney »

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:12:07 PM »

Went out tonight for the last hour of day light. It  started off slow with the odd fish showing itself but for the last half hour it was non stop action with fish surfacing everywhere. Hooked 8 in total, landed 2 males, lost 2 just prior to netting and the rest were long line releases. Too bad it got dark as I would have limited out in no time.

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 01:22:32 AM »

So at low tide schools are still pushing through - good to know

:)

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »

I think the bigger schools are just coming in, seems to be more fish showing, as is reported catching. I'm restricted time wise so go when I can whatever the tide. did good on low slack the other day and nada on high slack-ish +/- 1hr. 1st one today closer to home, :)

what's the theore with log booms ?
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Butch1949

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »

Rodney, what do you use to upload photos onto this site, photobucket?...image shack?...something else, and how do you do it if I can ask, have a good digital camera and my phone has a good camera, would like to use it more here :-\
"I don't catch fish"

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »

It seems like there isn't a clear pattern when these fish are moving through the estuary this year, which I think it quite fun actually because there's always a surprise everyday. Today we decided to go down to the river just before the tide peaked and other anglers reported no sightings of fish prior to our arrival. When the tide peaked, the odd fish started showing themselves. Soon after I felt a couple of taps. Nina proceeded to make her first cast and hooked up immediately. I then hooked a couple after netting her fish. In total we hooked three fish each. The bite was steady until 5:00pm but died down after that, unlike yesterday and last Sunday. Water clarity looks pretty good too.

What's better than catching a pink salmon? The cold shower afterward of course. ;)

Nice photos Rod!  That Nina's catching fish again!  I guess she has the hot rod. She needs a cold shower to cool down.  ;D ;D ;D

bluenoser

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 06:51:34 PM »

Hey Rod...I think Nina's secret weopen is her fingernail polish...in most of the pictures you take of her outfishing you she has bright nail polish on...go back and have a look.

I'm still not trying it though.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 07:37:48 PM »

Butch,

It does not matter where your photos are kept (I am not familiar with either Photobucket or Image Shack so I cannot say if they are easy to use) all you need is the address once they are online on whatever service you choose (I have my photos uploaded onto the back end of a web site that I use for my students).  Once they are online you just need to view the photo in the web browser and just copy the url in the address bar.  You then come here and then paste the url into your post on this site and then click the "Insert Image" button while the url is still highlighted in the post.  Hit preview before submitting the post to make sure the photo is visible.
Not all those who wander are lost