Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 7th 2011  (Read 3799 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Tidal Fraser River, September 7th 2011
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »

After having some luck yesterday just after the tide peaked, we gave it another go this afternoon at 3:00pm. When we arrived, fish were already rolling in front of us so I wasn't too surprised to hook one after trying for ten minutes. I chose to release it once again, but probably should have kept it as it was the only fish we hooked all day. Unlike yesterday, fish were not really coming through after the tide peaked. Perhaps a new game plan is needed for tomorrow. :)

Nitroholic

Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 7th 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:41:23 PM »

morning was good

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:43:59 PM »

Morning I sleep. ;D Tomorrow, maybe less sleep. ;D

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:57:04 PM »

Agreed, it slowed right down after 12-1pm.  Stayed longer than should after I got two before noon.  Lost $20 worth of lures in the afternoon. :-\  Pink Apexes were the shiznat the last two days.

lapa

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »

Tried South Arm today from  2pm to 7pm. Landed 4 males and 1 female. All males released. Got 3 on spoon and 2 on blue fox spinner. Saw only a few fish rolling.

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »

@damien  How do you rig up your apexes?

jon5hill

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 01:27:26 AM »

hooked and landed 15 pinks - kept 2 females and 2 males - rest were released.

wierd ratio this year, of all those fish 13 were males - maybe they are more aggressive?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 07:27:37 AM »

jon5hill I find that with all species of salmon, males are plentiful at the beginning and end of the run and females during the middle of the run. It's like the males come first to prepare the spawning grounds for the females and they come at the end of the run to make sure there are enough males for the females.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

ejeffrey

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:03:56 AM »

I finally landed my first female yesterday. Every other fish I have landed or long line released has been a male so far.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »

Re: Apex Rigging.  Pretty straight forward.

Main line, bell weight or pencil lead (1/4 to 1/2 oz depending on the current or how far your desired cast is), bead, then tie on the apex right out of the package.  The apex comes with a two foot leader and a ball bearing swivel tied up right out of the package.  The quality is high enough with the enclosed gear that I don't feel the need to replace it.

____________weight-bead-swivel_______________________Apex

Taboo

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 09:28:48 AM »

Was out at Brownsville yesterday.  The bite was on for a bit and then died right off near slack tide.  Saw about 6 caught.  Don't forget your sunscreen kids! ;)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »

I was on the river at 10;00am. I always love watching the river go from no action before the incoming tide and then see the first rollers coming followed by some pretty big schools as it got to slack tide. I was the only one around and fish were rolling all around me. I chose to flyfish so I waded out to knee level and the action was pretty consistant till about 1:00pm. Lost quite a few but managed to keep a male and a female.
Fish on!

fisherwithrod

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »

I was out early (11am) at Garry Point, saw only a few surfacing. Seals were there, sign of fish - one had gobbled a pink right in front of us. People around me landed two fish. Later in the day I moved eastwards toward the rocks and had luck with my first male of the season. It was near the peak of the tide.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »

I stole down to the river after work yesterday for a really brief opportunity, around 5:30pm-6:30pm or so.  Tide was in the midst of high slack for most of the time I was there, and had begun slowly heading back out as it was time for me to leave.  Upon picking a spot to cast from, I noticed TONS of fish rolling, but almost all of them were showing themselves to be out of casting range.  No worries, I knew that if there were fish that far out, there would be some in tighter as well.  Half an hour in, after a quick tug or two without actually hooking up, I finally stung a fish seconds after my lure hit the water.  A spirited battle ensued, but in the end the fish was victorious and swam away free.  

A few others hooked up over the next 10 minutes or so, and then BAM! I felt another good pull and set the hook.  Sure enough, I had another nice fish on.  This one also put up a good fight, but ended up in the net and getting a quick rap over the head.  A nice 6-7 pound male in pretty darn good condition.  After that, fished for another 10 minutes, then had to head home for dinner.

Strangely enough, I too have not landed a single doe so far this year.  Hoping for my luck to change soon.
:D
Tex

brownmancheng

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »

What is a long line release?? When u cut your line??