Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 8th 2011  (Read 1457 times)

KLX

Tidal Fraser River, September 8th 2011
« on: September 08, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »

WE SPENT 4 hours on the river from 4-8pm. trying to hit the incoming high tide and slack. Watched guys throw spoons, spinners, flies, etc. Lots of fish around but they are not aggressive at all. Saw two fish caught between dozens of guys. I hooked only two.

it is certainly not how it was two years ago. fish just arent very bity this year from what i have seen. water clarity may have something to do with it - looks to be a maximum of 12".

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 8th 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »

Fished about the same time you did. There were very little fish around but I managed to get two. Worst night I have had in a long time. Visiblity was getting better, now sitting at a couple of feet. Only saw a dozen riserd or so which is a far cry from night previous :P
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 07:52:16 AM »

Ditto - between three of us - hooked 9 landed 6 in about the same time - all had lice.  Only one male in the bunch. 

More than likely the low numbers of 'rollers' is due to the commercial opening as per what Rodney had posted elsewhere:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=135824&ID=all

Sunday looks good!
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:56:04 AM »

Fished upstream of Kanaka Creek on the MR side last night for the first time out this year. C&R one right off the bat (3rd cast maybe?) thinking it was going to be a good evening. Should have kept it, as I didn't get a single hit the rest of the evening. Saw one landed right off the mouth of Kanaka, and another get broken off after it swam around a piling but that was it. Absolutely gorgeous evening to be out on the river though!

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »

I agree, its been tougher this year for sure.  Not sure why because there seem to be just as many fish about.

I typically find myself fishing for about 2 hours in the evening and hitting a brief period, maybe 15 mins, where the bite is on then nothing.   Its almost as if a wave of them move through very quickly and then they have passed the spot.  One thing I have been aware of is the tides have not been coinciding nicely with the evenings when I can get off work for fishing.  This week its been high slack when I can get off and I remember last season ('09) I was getting into got strong tidal movements coinciding nicely with evening and early mornings - maybe that helped.

That aside I have also found my landing ratio extremely poor - 2 fish landed out of about 8 hooked.   The same seems to be happening to a lot of the people around me.  I have had the same issues even with my sharpest hooks -  I can't figure out if its me or if they are biting less aggressively and, hence, not getting great hookups.

(..The clarity has improved considerably from last week - I don't believe that is an issue any more.  (Just my 2c)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:28:34 PM by fishseeker »