Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 11th 2011  (Read 4969 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Tidal Fraser River, September 11th 2011
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »

Was out this morning with my nephew and it was a kind of strange to say the least.

There was a group next to us and one guy was into a bunch of fish.  Normally if that happens I am into a bunch too - makes sense because one person catching means a school is moving by.    For some reason we could not even get a bite - I even tried matching what the guy was using, his retrieve speed, color and size as much as possible.  Every thing I could think of - nothing. Just when you think you know something a new situation comes up to humble you.   I just wonder if there were a bunch sitting in the area he was casting but not moving - it was high slack at the time.

I think this commercial opening has completely blown the fishing this weekend which really sucks because this is supposed to be the prime time for this.  Its still great to get out and try but I have to agree that waiting for later in the week might be more productive.

gofishon

Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 11th 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:42:40 AM »

The seiners are still working Area 29 hard. They are actually into plenty of sockeye, but with Fed. observers on board they must target Pinks. They have been given permission to make sets in relatively shallow water, but have had almost as many old crusty crab traps caught as Pinks. There must be plenty still out in the Strait. I understand only 2 million of their 6 or so allotment caught to date. Lets hope the Pinks keep coming for a while.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »

Well, that just sucks!

noobfisher

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »

I didn't even bother going out today ... maybe next weekend :(

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 03:29:54 PM »

Was out this morning with my nephew and it was a kind of strange to say the least.

There was a group next to us and one guy was into a bunch of fish.  Normally if that happens I am into a bunch too - makes sense because one person catching means a school is moving by.    For some reason we could not even get a bite - I even tried matching what the guy was using, his retrieve speed, color and size as much as possible.  Every thing I could think of - nothing. Just when you think you know something a new situation comes up to humble you.   I just wonder if there were a bunch sitting in the area he was casting but not moving - it was high slack at the time.

I think this commercial opening has completely blown the fishing this weekend which really sucks because this is supposed to be the prime time for this.  Its still great to get out and try but I have to agree that waiting for later in the week might be more productive.

:D ;D
Ha,ha I know how you feel, I had the same situation yesteray where the chap that was fishing with me (we were the only ones fishing this river in this area) was catching one after another and I was getting no bites at all. I could see what he was using but i didn't have any. I didn't target pinks but that was the only thing around. This all baffled me because I've been catching pinks successufully.
Then he felt pitty on me and gave me one of the items he was using and then I had the same thing for about an hour and a half. One pink after another.
Unfortunately there were only pinks around which was a bit dissapointing.
I ended up picking up a great system to catch pinks and that was the best thing of the day.
Live and learn!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:31:35 PM by adriaticum »

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »

Ha,ha I know how you feel, I had the same situation yesteray where the chap that was fishing with me (we were the only ones fishing this river in this area) was catching one after another and I was getting no bites at all. I could see what he was using but i didn't have any. I didn't target pinks but that was the only thing around. This all baffled me because I've been catching pinks successufully.
Then he felt pitty on me and gave me one of the items he was using and then I had the same thing for about an hour and a half. One pink after another.
Unfortunately there were only pinks around which was a bit dissapointing.
I ended up picking up a great system to catch pinks and that was the best thing of the day.
Live and learn!

What part of the river were u fishing?? and what was the special item  ::)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »

What part of the river were u fishing?? and what was the special item  ::)

Live and learn ;)
Take the T out of Morton.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »

Unfortunately there were only pinks around which was a bit disappointing.
Live and learn!
Glad it wasn't only me.   I didn't think they could be so picky - usually I can get em pretty easily as long as they are there.  Personally I am very happy to get pinks.  What is your "great system" if you don't mind my asking?  Everything I thought I knew from the previous season has been blown out the water this year :(

Note:  I am not interested in location.  I think there are any number of good places to fish at least when the run is decent.

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »

Live and learn ;)

U can only learn so much fishing alone with no one to go to for advice.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »

Was in the Abbotsford area today and did alright. We got a late start and the tide had already peaked and it was just starting to go out. Fish were still rolling though. Landed 4 brought home 2 and lost 4 and lots of missed bites. Their was never a huge lull in rises all day but the clarity degraded throughout the day. Started at about a foot but a couple hours later went down to 6 inches. Lots of boats in the area mucking up the water. Not mad about it as if I had a boat worthy I would be doing the same.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »

Was at poplar bar picking up a canoer and fished for a half hour while waiting for him to arrive - out of the nearly hour i was there, saw maybe 2 or 3 risers and didn't get any bites.... this was around 4pm, incoming tide.....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

66TWH

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »

Sorry I have to back it up a few days but just a quick comment on specific lures and tides versus different days..... even with alot of fish present. Friday 4 hrs late afternoon / evening just east of Golden Ears bridge in the boat. My 11 yr old daughter and I pulled 11 to the boat plus ones that got away. Could have had way more by I tried rolling a fly out there for some time because they seemed so agressive but to no avail.  90% females and a very chrome run at that time.
Back at it Saturday, same time, same tide, same lure and the fish were present in same numbers on surface and on the sounder. Struggled for 2 to the boat and lost a couple more. Threw the tackle box at them once again but very picky.
Nothing is for certain when fishing.                 

MIKE1

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »

There was a group next to us and one guy was into a bunch of fish.  Normally if that happens I am into a bunch too - makes sense because one person catching means a school is moving by.    For some reason we could not even get a bite - I even tried matching what the guy was using, his retrieve speed, color and size as much as possible.  Every thing I could think of - nothing. Just when you think you know something a new situation comes up to humble you.   I just wonder if there were a bunch sitting in the area he was casting but not moving - it was high slack at the time.

I think this commercial opening has completely blown the fishing this weekend which really sucks because this is supposed to be the prime time for this.  Its still great to get out and try but I have to agree that waiting for later in the week might be more productive.

Lots of people out today, only saw one fish caught in a 2 hours. Does anyone know when the commercial closes?

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »

Lots of people out today, only saw one fish caught in a 2 hours. Does anyone know when the commercial closes?
Wed 13th I believe.

Chuck23

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 07:10:44 AM »

Great day fishing mid river with my brother yesterday. Got to the river around 8:30 am and left around noon. We kept 4 chrome females and let a bunch of big humpy males go. Around 12 - 14 hook ups between the 2 of us. Lots of fun.

Picky fish though, we really had to try a few different things before finding the magic combination. All in all a great day on the river.