Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peg Leg  (Read 16522 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Peg Leg
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »

Exactly the reason why I said to use a small boat or dinghy to cross. People always underestimate how soft loose gravel can be and with current pushing you it's even worse. If something look kinds sketchy, chances are it's worse then your thinking it is.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 08:09:34 PM »

Bryan go to the bar in Abby at the end of Walter road. Go into the shop and ask Randy for the map. Great place to go and it is not far from home either. We were there on sunday so that I could try my new switch rod and we did ok. Great beach for the kids to just hang out on.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »

Bryan go to the bar in Abby at the end of Walter road. Go into the shop and ask Randy for the map. Great place to go and it is not far from home either. We were there on sunday so that I could try my new switch rod and we did ok. Great beach for the kids to just hang out on.

I was there on Sunday. I have fished that area quite a bit.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 09:40:44 PM »

Sorry guys would like to retract my earlier statement and tonight was shitty two guys in waders tried crossing both lost grip one got free to the shore and the other bobbed a couple times than was gone so it's not safe at all

Drowned?

RiverRunner

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »

One man missing after fishing on Fraser River
Global News Monday, September 12, 2011 12:00 AM

The Pegleg area of the Fraser River in Chilliwack.
Photo Credit: Google Maps ,
One man is still missing after losing his footing and falling into the Fraser River near the popular Pegleg fishing spot in Chilliwack.

A witness told Global News that there were three men fishing just before 5 p.m. Monday afternoon, when one got in trouble and his boots started filling with water. The other two men went to the aid of their companion, and although they got out, the other man was still in the water and was swept away. Chilliwack RCMP said the man was unable to grab onto a life jacket that was thrown to him.

"This is the second time in two weeks that this area has been responsible for lost fishermen," said RCMP Cst. Tracy Wolbeck. "The circumstances of this incident are strikingly similar to the last one. It's very sad and tragic."

The two surviving men have been treated by paramedics as a precaution, and Chilliwack Search and Rescue and RCMP are searching for the missing man.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »

Terrible to hear news like this. Especially when only a week earlier another person almost drowned in that area. Certainly wear a wading belt with your waders, but another thing to realize is that if you are going to wade an area with running water higher than your knees you have to be super careful. In those cases, the use of a wading staff is another thing to consider as it can be used as another point of contact, and also  to judge how deep the water is you are trying to cross.
Better yet, if you start to feel uneasy listen to that inner voice, as no fishing spot is worth losing your life for.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »

If you cannot see the bottom (and the water is waste high or less) you should not be crossing that body of water without a wading stick of some sort. I personally wouldn't even bother for a fishing spot, although I have walked across a fairly swift moving river at over waste high during training exercises (but I knew I was going to be saved if I did give way).

mzmann

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »

One man missing after fishing on Fraser River
Global News Monday, September 12, 2011 12:00 AM

The Pegleg area of the Fraser River in Chilliwack.
Photo Credit: Google Maps ,
One man is still missing after losing his footing and falling into the Fraser River near the popular Pegleg fishing spot in Chilliwack.

A witness told Global News that there were three men fishing just before 5 p.m. Monday afternoon, when one got in trouble and his boots started filling with water. The other two men went to the aid of their companion, and although they got out, the other man was still in the water and was swept away. Chilliwack RCMP said the man was unable to grab onto a life jacket that was thrown to him.

"This is the second time in two weeks that this area has been responsible for lost fishermen," said RCMP Cst. Tracy Wolbeck. "The circumstances of this incident are strikingly similar to the last one. It's very sad and tragic."

The two surviving men have been treated by paramedics as a precaution, and Chilliwack Search and Rescue and RCMP are searching for the missing man.

So tragic and all due to simple carelessness :(
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »

The two Spey guys and the girl in the bikini was my dad, my friend and me. The other guys fly fishing I didn't know.

I was in that large group fishing just downstream of you. Did those 4-5 jets anchor in front of you because of the sturgeon hole, or your bikini clad friend/father?

Morty

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 11:48:22 PM »

I was going by there a few times in my boat on Sat.  One fellow slipped in from the gravel bank at the walk-in part.  By the time I got the boat turned around and a bit downstream of him someone had cast him a fishing line.  That was enough for him to get some balance and fight the current back to a place where others could help him out of the water.

That's a dangerous place and access should be closed. They closed waterfront access at Island 22 a few years ago when that washed away to a steep loose bank.

Unfortunately, I've seem small children playing, and even sitting on the edge, of that gravel cliff at lower Peg.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 03:29:47 AM »

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:31:20 AM by Bassonator »
Take the T out of Morton.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:51 AM »

They ran this story on the late news last night on Global. The wife saw it. Guess we are not going to Peg Leg on the weekend. Lots of other places to go.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:27 AM »

Bryan, try Popular Bar - just east of Fort Langley - pinks travel nicely thru the channel, water is slower and lots of beach and sand for the kids to play.  Haven't been there over the weekend - but mid week, its quite quiet.  The plus side is that it is a GVRD park - has picnic tables, tree coverage for shade and a decent(?!?) public outhouse.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 08:34:26 AM »

So tragic and all due to simple carelessness :(

I think that inexperience may be another key factor in ths accident.  between the channel being too deep to wade this year and the high bank corner down below being steep and unstable, peg is a dangerous place this season.  

i can simply load up the BC water level website and see there is way more water in teh river even now compared to the last 2,3,4,5 seasons. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:37:12 AM by Gooey »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »

Clarki - they anchored out there to catch sturgeon but when they saw her we could hear a couple guys ask if they has binoculars on the boat LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/