Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho?  (Read 9811 times)

buzzer

Coho?
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:53:14 AM »

Caught this fish this morning at Garry Point.  As I am not sure if this is a Coho or a Pink, I released it.  I seem to think that this is a Coho because of the small spots on the upper body but I'm not really sure about the tail spots.  From my reading, seems like the Coho spots are only on the upper part of the tail.  This one seems to be all over the tail.  But then the pink usually has large oval spots. These ones are smaller. It's only a 2-3 pounder. Sorry for the picture clarity as I just took this picture using my phone.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Coho?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »

Judging from the body the scales look small which is a characteristic of pink salmon. The belly also says to me it's a pink. Since there's no picture of the tail I can't say for sure but I would say it's a pink.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »

Coho only have a few small spots on half of their tail

azafai

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »

super chrome pink.

ejeffrey

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »

Either way, good job on releasing it since you weren't sure on the ID.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »

Wild cutthroat trout. The spots on the tail are too small to be a pink salmon.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:56:59 AM by Rodney »

fishbuster

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:47:43 AM »

Nice cutthroat

dmoney

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »

I agree with Rod, big cutthroat. Good on you for releasing it when you're not 100% sure. FYI, that type of nylon mesh in your landing net is tough on fish that you intend to release. You can see how it removes some scales and abrades the protective slime off of the fish. Not busting your chops, just a friendly FYI. :)

D$

buzzer

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »

Thanks guys for helping me identify this fish. It sure is a little complicated identifying this one.  Who would have thought that cutthroats are also around the river at this time.

Dmoney: Thanks for the net info. I better get a more fish friendly net next time ;)   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »

For a landing net, I really like the one that I used in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbp70v2Pk1Q

The extendable handle is long enough to make it really easy. The net opening is big enough for pink and coho salmon. For smaller fish like cutthroat trout, I can keep that net submerged and let it swim around in it while I get the camera ready for photos or whatever. I got mine at Berry's but have seen them at other stores as well. I believe it is made by Gibbs but not totally sure.

Coastal cutthroat trout are pretty common in this part of the Fraser River during August, September and part of October if you are specifically targeting them. They are also by-caught while fishing for pink and coho salmon once awhile.

buzzer

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 12:24:29 PM »

Thanks for info Rod. Much appreciated. I learned a lot from this thread. 

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »

Unbelievable how lousy the fish identification is in the province....and even on these forums.

I want CORE for fishing to be manditory for people to get a license....it just needs to happen.

To the person who says its a Coho.....your identification charts lists one of the first ways to tell a coho is that there are never spots on the bottom half of the tail.
To the multiples who say it is a pink......Pinks don't have spots even close to that small or close together.

People....please look at your identification charts that come with the regs

Edit...good on the OP for releasing the fish because he didn't know what it was. Perhaps fishing licences could be givin out without CORE to those who don't plan on bonking fish.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:32:53 PM by Robert_G »

mzmann

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »

Unbelievable how lousy the fish identification is in the province....and even on these forums.

To the person who says its a Coho.....your identification charts lists one of the first ways to tell a coho is that there are never spots on the bottom half of the tail.

it was only the OP that suggested that he thought it may have been a Coho...and because he wasn't sure about it (for the exact same reason you mentioned about the tail spots) he indeed released it.

as for the rest yes I agree! people at the very least should have to be able to correctly identify/know the differences of all the main types of sport fish before getting issued their licence. It would have to be two separate licences for those that wish to keep and those only wishing to c&r...basically a retention and non retention licence.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

anorden

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »

I want CORE for fishing to be manditory for people to get a license....it just needs to happen.

To the multiples who say it is a pink......Pinks don't have spots even close to that small or close together.

People....please look at your identification charts that come with the regs

Edit...good on the OP for releasing the fish because he didn't know what it was. Perhaps fishing licences could be givin out without CORE to those who don't plan on bonking fish.

As has been mentioned on various other threads, introducing a test / exam would merely encourage half the people in the LM to give up fishing - with an associated rise in license prices for everyone remaining. I strongly suspect the silent majority of fishermen in the LM (ie people who dont read this forum) are meat fishers who arent particularly interested in catch and release.

Even worse, introducing a test would simply increase the number of people poaching without a license!

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »

As has been mentioned on various other threads, introducing a test / exam would merely encourage half the people in the LM to give up fishing - with an associated rise in license prices for everyone remaining. I strongly suspect the silent majority of fishermen in the LM (ie people who dont read this forum) are meat fishers who arent particularly interested in catch and release.

Even worse, introducing a test would simply increase the number of people poaching without a license!
Personally I would be quite happy if the half of the people who can't be arsed to do a core test simply stopped fishing even if it did mean a rise in license price  :)