Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser North Arm (Burnaby) fall Salmon & Trout  (Read 4575 times)

DanNagt

Fraser North Arm (Burnaby) fall Salmon & Trout
« on: September 26, 2011, 01:26:14 PM »

Hey folks,

As mentioned in my introductory post, I'm new-ish to Vancouver and new to the local fisheries as I've started to get back into fishing. I grew up in Alberta and lake Walleye and Rainbow Trout are pretty much my fishing experience. I do recall catching a Coho when I was a kid on a family vacation to Chilliwack way back when but that was over 15 years ago..  ;)

Also, having tried my hand at Pinks (like everyone else ;) ) this fall on the North Arm, I came up skunked every time I went down. I spent quite a few evening and afternoon tides from 'heel to thigh' in water casting out (and losing) lures from the rocks. I also didn't see all too many fishermen down there so I can't help but think either I was doing something wrong or was timing it wrong. I clued in a little too late that I had to move further from home and so tried South Arm a couple times, also with no luck.

So with that behind me, I'd like to get some further advice on whether the North Arm is a worthwhile place to fish and what is expected.

I have read this http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/north_arm.html and this http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2010/1010_01.html but I still have some questions if you'll allow..

- What have previous years experience shown other people about this arm? perhaps some regulars to this area?
- If the hatchery bull trout are kept - are they edible? enjoyable?
- Do the salmon varieties frequent this area a lot during their run or is it better to find other spots?
- Do people find lure casting to be better than bottom w/ roe given the general rockiness of the shoreline?

I have more but I'll probably figure them out once I get out there. and yes, I fully understand the notion of 'stop surfing the net and get out there' and 'your own experience will tell you, now get out there' so please don't repeat it. I'm just trying to learn in advance so I can make the best of my time out there.

Thanks for your patience,
Dan

paulbish

Re: Fraser North Arm (Burnaby) fall Salmon & Trout
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »

Most Pinks are in the South Arm

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »

FYI,

There are no hatchery marked bull trout as currently there are no hatchery productions of them in the Fraser River and its tributaries. There are some hatchery marked cutthroat trout, but you are more likely to encounter a wild fish than a hatchery fish. I usually don't bother checking and release them all as they are mostly small and not worth the time to deal with.

Both lure casting and bottom fishing with roe work equally well IMO, but one usually outperforms the other under certain situation. I like to switch between the two (plus fly fishing) whenever I am out.

Once the pink salmon run is over, you will see even less fish going by. In fact, the chance of seeing fish surfacing will be rare. The only ones you'll see surfacing are chum salmon. Coho salmon rarely show themselves down here. Just because signs of fish are absent, it doesn't mean fishing is bad. Many of our past best outings are done when no fish are seen at all. By "best", I mean a couple of coho salmon per trip. Expectation of catches in the Tidal Fraser River is very different to expectation in tributaries such as the Chilliwack River, where fish are more concentrated in one area.

Your best bet is the first two weeks of the opening (on October 8th) for coho salmon fishing. After that, fishing will taper off slowly.

azafai

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »

Hi Rodeny,
just liked to mention that your link to the video "Curing Salmon Roe" is still opening the older video "Tidal Fraser pink salmon."

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »

I find Frasershore Park pretty snaggy compared to other parts I have tried, so you have to keep your lure off the bottom.  Since you live in Burnaby, you can easily drive upstream towards Surrey/New West Area where both the North Arm/South Arm meet and you'll have way better chance of catching fish.  I only tried Frasershore Park a few brief times this pink season, and did hook something, but lost it. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »

Hi Rodeny,
just liked to mention that your link to the video "Curing Salmon Roe" is still opening the older video "Tidal Fraser pink salmon."

Thanks, it's fixed now.

PeeLee

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »

I find Frasershore Park pretty snaggy compared to other parts I have tried, so you have to keep your lure off the bottom.  Since you live in Burnaby, you can easily drive upstream towards Surrey/New West Area where both the North Arm/South Arm meet and you'll have way better chance of catching fish.  I only tried Frasershore Park a few brief times this pink season, and did hook something, but lost it. 

Definitely going to have to agree with Foreshore Park being snaggy.  Tried fishing there a couple of weeks ago with 2 friends and on the first cast all 3 of us were snagged.