Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 10th 2011  (Read 2241 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Chilliwack River, October 10th 2011
« on: October 10, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »

Went to the upper this morning. Was a challenge finding a piece of water that didn't already have somebody fishing it.Just about packed it in after barely wetting a line because of my buddies whining about all the people and not being able to fish strange water.Found a tailout above some rapids that we figured was worth a go.Was a good move/timing.Lucked out and had some fish move through. I Released a red coho buck,tagged and lost a piece of chrome,had my roe robbed once and had this doe slam down the float...............buddy got zip...
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 10th 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »

Good job, i hear your pain about finding some quite water. My beef is not with the amount of people fishing but the people who know nothing of river etiquette and just come stand next to you without even saying hello.
[

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:03:24 AM »

Good job, i hear your pain about finding some quite water. My beef is not with the amount of people fishing but the people who know nothing of river etiquette and just come stand next to you without even saying hello.

oh tell me about it. you can even be the only guy there at first light and the next few guys, despite there being literally a kilometer in either direction free with nobody, come right beside you and start plunking a bunch of laughable crap that end up snagging all over the place, whipping the water to a froth and spooking the fish. one guy was 'short floating' with a 3oz bouncing betty under a float and then wonders why hes getting snagged. try telling him nicely a more productive method but he just says he knows what hes doing....some pro.....what the?????

anorden

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:05:37 AM »

Sometimes I feel that a lot of the beaks dont actually speak english. At least that would explain why they dont read the rule book!?!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:10:59 AM »

Sometimes I feel that a lot of the beaks dont actually speak english. At least that would explain why they dont read the rule book!?!

That's a generalization. Alot of the beaks I come across speak fluent English. It's not a matter of being unable to read but a blatant disregard of the rules.

bcguy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 05:19:51 AM »

That's a generalization. Alot of the beaks I come across speak fluent English. It's not a matter of being unable to read but a blatant disregard of the rules.

Or maybe just experiencing a learning curve?  ::) ;D
Its one of the reasons I hit the tidal Fraser this time of year.
Got into half a dozen nice Coho and a Chum yesterday, with only another fellow around the whole day, and he was 400 meters away bar fishing with roe.
Me, I like small spinners and wander up and down the beach enjoying the solitude.
Glad everyone was on the Vedder today and left me in peace.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:56:41 AM »

Or maybe just experiencing a learning curve?  ::) ;D
Its one of the reasons I hit the tidal Fraser this time of year.
Got into half a dozen nice Coho and a Chum yesterday, with only another fellow around the whole day, and he was 400 meters away bar fishing with roe.
Me, I like small spinners and wander up and down the beach enjoying the solitude.
Glad everyone was on the Vedder today and left me in peace.
Yes thats the way to do if one can, thats why I head to the Thompson in the summer.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »

Still blanked for an adult coho this season I had the feeling today would be the day. I seem to have trouble getting the first adult of the season, maybe chasing too many floats, getting coffee, filming, visiting and cleaning up garbage. Also so many other are reporting good catches and I of course Rod and Nina getting 5 keepers last week.

I launched the Leaf Craft a bit later than I should have but in no time I was having bites but miss a number of them, coho jacks? Others on the other side of the flow are having some good success.  Finally I connect, I think it is a coho but not sure as it falls off a few seconds after being hooked.

It starts to rain so I row ashore to get my rain jacket. I also drive to get a coffee and treat from the truck stop, leaving the LC watched by those around the shore. :-\
I am back to the LC in about 10 minutes with a steaming coffee in hand but most of the anglers have left, driven off by the falling rain.

Those on the other side are having success so I quickly row to my anchoring spot, a few more misses and another fish of unknown species also falls off. ::) Finally at the end of a long drift the float dives but I am late on the hook set, I think the fish hooked itself.  :-[ The twisting, turning and leaping indicates a coho. ;D Now to see if its a keeper. It gets close to the raft and I have the net ready, I donor really want to net it if its a unclipped fish. It sees the LC and darts away, breaking water a sit goes, a good tussle for a 5 pounder. Finally I see no adipose so in the gaping net it goes, streak ended.

I take it to shore and put in the LC and go back out but the bite seems off. I heard later there was a very good bite at first light but I am pleased with a fresh run silver coho male. Fresh fish once again, good for a different type of Thanksgiving dinner. We that live so close to the Vedder have a lot to be thankful for and to give thanks later in the day instead of going fishing I took about 50 pounds of garbage off the KWB bar and around the area.

Sad so many treat her so badly.